Philosophy of Mind

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

RCSaunders

Re: Philosophy of Mind

Post by RCSaunders »

surreptitious57 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:19 pm
RCSaunders wrote:
Of course you would like others to understand and agree
Understand yes but not agree

No one has a monopoly on wisdom so accepting you are sometimes wrong is how one develops
For you grow not only intellectually but psychologically too by accepting your own limitations
And so this is the reason why I try not to hold onto positions any more than I actually have to
Yes, of course. What I was referring to is the pleasant surprise of finding others of like minds who have discovered the same principles one holds so have the same essential views of life and reality. It does happen.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=surreptitious57 post_id=465634 time=1596730786 user_id=9490]
[quote=RCSaunders]

Of course you would like others to understand and agree

[/quote]

Understand yes but not agree

No one has a monopoly on wisdom so accepting you are sometimes wrong is how one develops
For you grow not only intellectually but psychologically too by accepting your own limitations
And so this is the reason why I try not to hold onto positions any more than I actually have to
[/quote]

No one has a monopoly on wisdom but some are clearly more right that others, which means it's correspondingly harder for them to find a way they're wrong, or to develop their ideas in that dialectic context. Beware the cult of open-mindedness. When you find truth, it's insanity to keep questioning it. The purpose of all knowledge, wisdom, and understanding is actionable certainty. We need to be certain Enough to accept an idea, then build upon it to higher understanding, not continually question it's validity or inherently acquiesce to it's insufficiency. The best world view is build, as far as possible, on logical certainty. Uncertainty is the starting point, and we should strive to get as far away from it as possible. That is the entire project of science, btw.
paigetheoracle

Post by paigetheoracle »

Consciousness is just awareness that you and other things / entities, exist
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

paigetheoracle wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:28 pm Consciousness is just awareness that you and other things / entities, exist
How a pile of atoms configured in a particular arrangement that permits YOU to experience the qualia of the senses, making aforementioned atomic arrangement rather extraordinary, rather than, consciousness is 'just...'---that arrangement is unique in the entire universe...since it is U.
jayjacobus

Post by jayjacobus »

paigetheoracle wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:28 pm Consciousness is just awareness that you and other things / entities, exist

Consciousness is awareness but needs an elaboration, I think.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=jayjacobus post_id=522574 time=1628362099 user_id=11868]
[quote=paigetheoracle post_id=515151 time=1624541317 user_id=21861]
Consciousness is just awareness that you and other things / entities, exist
[/quote]

[/quote]

The most accepted understanding, as i understand it, is that awareness includes animals, the subconscious, etc . while consciousness is the more active role, but that sounds the opposite of what i would have chosen.
jayjacobus

Post by jayjacobus »

Advocate wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:57 pm
jayjacobus wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:48 pm

The most accepted understanding, as i understand it, is that awareness includes animals, the subconscious, etc . while consciousness is the more active role, but that sounds the opposite of what i would have chosen.
That seems logical to me .
jayjacobus

Post by jayjacobus »

jayjacobus wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:11 pm

Writers on this forum should understand psychology so that they can influence people effectively.

Here are some schools of psychology that should be understood:

1. Behavior psychology focus on the stimulus-response behaviors. According to this theory, all behaviors are learned through interactions with the environment including human interaction. Influencing people’s behavior comes natural to parents, leaders and marketing professionals. Studying behavior theories can improve results.

2. Psychodynamic psychology focuses on subconscious drivers like the ID, ego and libido. Teaching people how to manage these drivers will give them more control over their thoughts and behaviors.

3. Humanist psychology encourages patients to guide their own therapy by creating a partnership with the psychologist.

4. Biological psychology recognizes that people should protect and enhance their abilities to deal with life.

5. Cognitive psychology focuses on underlying mind sets that can be changed to better deal with problems and opportunities.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

It is certainty important to philosophers to try to underastand what exists. Do you have a favourite theory of existence?
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

How might you elaborate on paigetheoracle's definition?
Paige's starting point is like that of Descartes.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

jayjacobus wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:25 pm
jayjacobus wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:11 pm

Writers on this forum should understand psychology so that they can influence people effectively.

Here are some schools of psychology that should be understood:

1. Behavior psychology focus on the stimulus-response behaviors. According to this theory, all behaviors are learned through interactions with the environment including human interaction. Influencing people’s behavior comes natural to parents, leaders and marketing professionals. Studying behavior theories can improve results.

2. Psychodynamic psychology focuses on subconscious drivers like the ID, ego and libido. Teaching people how to manage these drivers will give them more control over their thoughts and behaviors.

3. Humanist psychology encourages patients to guide their own therapy by creating a partnership with the psychologist.

4. Biological psychology recognizes that people should protect and enhance their abilities to deal with life.

5. Cognitive psychology focuses on underlying mind sets that can be changed to better deal with problems and opportunities.
I am not sure that we on the forum should aim to influence other people on the forum. It may be a better aim to keep the discussion going, to which end your discussion of different psychological theories is appropriate to any discussion of mind.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

It may also mellow out some posters if they realized opinion depends almost entirely on your sources of information, one absorbs what one can, and with that tries to understand the aspects of being and being in the world. One gathers from the collective knowledge of our species and then rather naively wraps the ego around it, it is now a property and who we are. To be narrow-minded is to limit the sources of information one allows oneself to be exposed to.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

Yes, and the 21rst century American existentialist Iambiguous called this 'the embodiment of dasein'.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

promethean75 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:50 pm Yes, and the 21rst century American existentialist Iambiguous called this 'the embodiment of dasein'.
The core of dasein is subjectivity. However subjectivity does not imply confirmation bias.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

Consciousness is a relational reaction. The physical world is the cause of one's reactions well one's reactions become the cause to the physical world in that one can have an effect. To be a conscious agent in the world is to read one's bodily reactions which are changes in our biology, this, of course, is just the beginning, the physical chemistry, and internal mechanisms are far beyond me.