Emotional behaviour shall be controlled

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

dattaswami

Post by dattaswami »

Ms. Thrylokya asked: Swami, Why did God Shiva go in disguise of a bachelor and test Goddess Parvati by scolding God Shiva (Himself)?

Swami replied: Goddess Parvati was Goddess Sati in the previous birth. When Daksha scolded God Shiva (his son-in-law), Sati Devi answered well to her father. God Shiva was listening to her replies from Kailasa itself. Suddenly, Sati changed her mood and committed suicide saying that she shall end her life because she heard abuses of God Shiva. This is a sudden emotional development. Next time, God Shiva went in the form of a bachelor and scolded God Shiva (Himself). This means God Shiva repeated the same situation of Sati to see her reaction. This time Goddess Parvati answered to the abuses of God Shiva like Sati, but did not commit suicide.

Parvati stood up and told that she cannot hear the scoldings of God Shiva anymore and tried to go away. This time Parvati used her wisdom and did not become emotional to commit suicide. Now God Shiva is satisfied with the behaviour of Parvati and suddenly appeared as God Shiva and took her hand into His hand, which is called as Paanigrahanam or marriage. The essence is that God Shiva was shocked with the emotional behaviour of Sati previously and now once again He created the same situation and found the change in the emotional behaviour of Sati, who was born as Parvati. Only then did He marry Parvati because such emotional decision gave an unassuming shock to God Shiva and God Shiva wanted that such emotional tragedy must not repeat again.

When Manmadha shot arrows on God Shiva in the presence of Parvati, God Shiva burnt Manmadha and immediately disappeared from the spot along with all His associated servants. The cause of the sudden disappearance was that God Shiva feared that Parvati may rub her feet on the ground and generate fire due to Shiva's non-acceptance of her marriage with Him. God Shiva wanted to test her emotional behaviour in such situations. Parvati also did a lot of penance and changed her emotional behaviour into peaceful non-violent responses to such emotional situations.

Scholars say that God Shiva tested the love of Parvati towards Him, but this is not correct because Parvati had already proved her climax love to Shiva in the previous birth. Hence, it was only to test the emotional behaviour of Parvati in highly emotional situations since there was previous experience. Finally, remember that God Datta acted in the roles of Shiva, Sati and Parvati to teach humanity that peaceful mental balance with wisdom must be maintained in any emotional situation.

Re: Emotional behaviour shall be controlled

Post by Age »

What is the difference between so-called 'emotional behavior' and any OTHER behavior?
dattaswami

Post by dattaswami »

Age wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:25 am What is the difference between so-called 'emotional behavior' and any OTHER behavior?
While doing propagation of spiritual knowledge to humanity in this word, the first required quality of the preacher is to have lot of patience without any trace of emotion. In the commentary of the first Brahma Sutra, Shankara prescribed the patience as the first required quality (Shama damaadi...). Due to emotion, mind gains strength and intelligence becomes weak so that your argument is weak due to the lack of power of analytical logic, which is supplied by the intelligence alone. In the first stage of knowledge, intelligence should be strong and hence the Gita starts with Buddhi Yoga or Sankhya Yoga.

Before entering in to argument, you must prepare the other side for the argument and then only argue with him. Without the prior preparation, if you enter straight in to argument, you will always get repulsion from the other side. The preparation of the other side should be in the following way: “My friend! Please listen a few words before we argue on this topic. None of us should become emotional, which reduces the power of logic in our arguments. If we argue in the lowest level of excitation, the energy will conserve, which is used in the argument by the brain. By this, both of us will be able to project our concepts with full logic and in complete manner.

By this way, the truth will come out. One of us will be defeated in the arguments. The defeated person need not be emotional because this is not loss of a case in the court resulting in the loss of some property. The defeated person should be more happy since he gained right knowledge to be benefited and avoided the loss happening already due to wrong knowledge. The successful person in the argument need not be happy at all since he does not have any extra benefit by the success. We both are arguing as friends, co-operating with each other to dig out the truth, which may benefit both of us in case both our arguments are defective. In such case, both of us shall be equally happy. Our arguments are not our registered properties, which may be lost in the court. I am different from the argument.

The argument may win or get defeated, I need not be effected at all since it is not my registered property. If I lose my property in the case, I shall feel pained since I lost the property, which gives me loss. But, in this debate, if I lose the argument, I have not lost anything. Instead, I gained profit because I have captured the right knowledge that gives me benefit in future. In addition to this, I have arrested my future loss because I am not going to lose any more due to the wrong knowledge I had so far. Additional benefit combined with arrest of loss is a double benefit! Hence, I wish that I loose in the debate if my knowledge is wrong. If we argue with this background, one of us will benefit (if one argument is wrong) or both of us may be benefited (if both arguments are defective)”.

Some times, you may have to accept some arguments from the other side also in order to become friendly with him, even though you know very well that his arguments are totally wrong. In such case, you have to accept some weak points of the other side to become friendly with him and argue vehemently on a strong point, which is the most important for his uplift. Since you have accepted with him in some points, the other side will also develop an ethical responsibility to agree with some points from your side. This is also a talented way of preaching based on the context of the rigidity of the receiver. Such talent was exhibited by Shankara, Ramanuja and Madhva in their times to uplift even the rigid fellows in a tactful way.

All these are essential points for preparing the receiver for the debate in the propagation of spiritual knowledge.

Post by Age »

dattaswami wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:09 am
Age wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:25 am What is the difference between so-called 'emotional behavior' and any OTHER behavior?
While doing propagation of spiritual knowledge to humanity in this word, the first required quality of the preacher is to have lot of patience without any trace of emotion. In the commentary of the first Brahma Sutra, Shankara prescribed the patience as the first required quality (Shama damaadi...). Due to emotion, mind gains strength and intelligence becomes weak so that your argument is weak due to the lack of power of analytical logic, which is supplied by the intelligence alone. In the first stage of knowledge, intelligence should be strong and hence the Gita starts with Buddhi Yoga or Sankhya Yoga.

Before entering in to argument, you must prepare the other side for the argument and then only argue with him. Without the prior preparation, if you enter straight in to argument, you will always get repulsion from the other side.
EXACTLY like what is happening here, correct?
dattaswami wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:09 am The preparation of the other side should be in the following way: “My friend! Please listen a few words before we argue on this topic. None of us should become emotional, which reduces the power of logic in our arguments. If we argue in the lowest level of excitation, the energy will conserve, which is used in the argument by the brain. By this, both of us will be able to project our concepts with full logic and in complete manner.

By this way, the truth will come out.
So, this means that you just about ALWAYS only behave in and with 'emotional behavior' correct?
dattaswami wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:09 am One of us will be defeated in the arguments. The defeated person need not be emotional because this is not loss of a case in the court resulting in the loss of some property. The defeated person should be more happy since he gained right knowledge to be benefited and avoided the loss happening already due to wrong knowledge. The successful person in the argument need not be happy at all since he does not have any extra benefit by the success. We both are arguing as friends, co-operating with each other to dig out the truth, which may benefit both of us in case both our arguments are defective. In such case, both of us shall be equally happy. Our arguments are not our registered properties, which may be lost in the court. I am different from the argument.

The argument may win or get defeated, I need not be effected at all since it is not my registered property. If I lose my property in the case, I shall feel pained since I lost the property, which gives me loss. But, in this debate, if I lose the argument, I have not lost anything. Instead, I gained profit because I have captured the right knowledge that gives me benefit in future. In addition to this, I have arrested my future loss because I am not going to lose any more due to the wrong knowledge I had so far. Additional benefit combined with arrest of loss is a double benefit! Hence, I wish that I loose in the debate if my knowledge is wrong. If we argue with this background, one of us will benefit (if one argument is wrong) or both of us may be benefited (if both arguments are defective)”.

Some times, you may have to accept some arguments from the other side also in order to become friendly with him, even though you know very well that his arguments are totally wrong. In such case, you have to accept some weak points of the other side to become friendly with him and argue vehemently on a strong point, which is the most important for his uplift. Since you have accepted with him in some points, the other side will also develop an ethical responsibility to agree with some points from your side. This is also a talented way of preaching based on the context of the rigidity of the receiver. Such talent was exhibited by Shankara, Ramanuja and Madhva in their times to uplift even the rigid fellows in a tactful way.

All these are essential points for preparing the receiver for the debate in the propagation of spiritual knowledge.
You have OBVIOUSLY MISSED or MISUNDERSTOOD the question I asked you here.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

All emotional behavior?
dattaswami

Post by dattaswami »

Iwannaplato wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 5:27 pm
All emotional behavior?
In worldly life or spiritual life, first, knowledge and analysis with the help of intelligence is necessary before getting emotion (devotion) to implement anything in practice. Emotion after knowledge is appreciable due to its safety given by the knowledge.

Suppose you want to run towards Delhi. First you must enquire the path to Delhi and then run on that correct path. If you run without the initial enquiry, you may be running towards Chennai in opposite direction! Hence, knowledge of direction is important, which can be given by knowledge only. Knowledge, emotion (devotion) and practice is the correct sequence either in Pravrutti or Nivrutti.

Your consciousness is well aware of your internal worldly desires. If such awareness is not experienced by you, certainly you don’t have worldly desires. Desires cannot exist in you without your awareness about them. Emotions about God can’t come without the proper spiritual knowledge from which you can recognize the details of the divine personality of God.

If emotions about God are coming even from the ignorance of God, it means your emotional devotion is based on some worldly aspiration to be granted by God. The details of the personality of God is multi-dimensional, evolved based on very sharp logical analysis and it brings very powerful attraction towards God. Such attraction results in the emotional devotion to God, which must be pure by not having aspiration for any fruit in return from God. Such emotion is the true love or true devotion to God. Such pure emotion can never come without knowing the details of the personality of God, which are termed as spiritual knowledge.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

dattaswami wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 2:48 pm Suppose you want to run towards Delhi. First you must enquire the path to Delhi and then run on that correct path.
First you are a kid who learns how to run, not where to run. And when the feeling arises, you run. If you feel the desire to run, run. Sure, add some information on top of that, later.
Desires cannot exist in you without your awareness about them.
I disagree. We all know people who do things out of unconscious desire. Perhaps later they will realize that the attended a meeting with a guru because they wanted to learn something specific, not just were curious. Perhaps they decide they need a book on botany at the library, when really they just want to be near that cute librarian, but they can't quite admit this to us. Often people focus on something convenient, because they cannot admit yet, their desires, out of shame or fear or pride or....and the list goes on.
Emotions about God can’t come without the proper spiritual knowledge from which you can recognize the details of the divine personality of God.
Oh, my goodness. Someone nearly runs me over in their car and I get pissed off. I don't need a map to the city of Dehli or theological expertise.

Your title is that emotional behavior shall be controlled. Shall is a word that is use in making rules, like the 10 commandments as a famous example, there mostly in the negative.

It is a generalized rule and not a good one.
dattaswami

Post by dattaswami »

Iwannaplato wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 3:23 pm
dattaswami wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 2:48 pm Suppose you want to run towards Delhi. First you must enquire the path to Delhi and then run on that correct path.
First you are a kid who learns how to run, not where to run. And when the feeling arises, you run. If you feel the desire to run, run. Sure, add some information on top of that, later.
Desires cannot exist in you without your awareness about them.
I disagree. We all know people who do things out of unconscious desire. Perhaps later they will realize that the attended a meeting with a guru because they wanted to learn something specific, not just were curious. Perhaps they decide they need a book on botany at the library, when really they just want to be near that cute librarian, but they can't quite admit this to us. Often people focus on something convenient, because they cannot admit yet, their desires, out of shame or fear or pride or....and the list goes on.
Emotions about God can’t come without the proper spiritual knowledge from which you can recognize the details of the divine personality of God.
Oh, my goodness. Someone nearly runs me over in their car and I get pissed off. I don't need a map to the city of Dehli or theological expertise.

Your title is that emotional behavior shall be controlled. Shall is a word that is use in making rules, like the 10 commandments as a famous example, there mostly in the negative.

It is a generalized rule and not a good one.
Emotion kills wisdom and raises the ego to such a high level that the soul refuses to accept its sin because the acceptance hurts the ego. The soul does not change only due to this high ego. God does not immediately punish the soul because the kindest Divine Father gives some time to His children to change. If there is no change in the soul, divine punishment is inevitable. Emotion leads to hasty action whereas patient analysis leads to correct action.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

dattaswami wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 5:40 pm Emotion kills wisdom and raises the ego to such a high level that the soul refuses to accept its sin because the acceptance hurts the ego.
Well this may be true for you, personally, but that is not my experience. I don't use the word sin when describing reality. But the pain of regret and empathy has certainly added to my facing the ways I have hurt others and actions I would not want to repeat. Emotions lead to wisdom because they are capable of noticing global patterns in situations and also give me and others the drive to learn. Without emotion you just have thoughts without motivation.

Of course emotions can cause problems also. But your blanket condemnation of emotions has little to do with what I and many others want. I would call it a kind of self-hatred. (and as I said elsewhere, it is part of why I am not the least jealous of your being in the world).

But I appreciate the honesty. You have a great distrust of and hatred for emotions. It is good that people know this, so should they choose to move towards you, they have be told where they are heading.

The soul does not change only due to this high ego. God does not immediately punish the soul because the kindest Divine Father gives some time to His children to change. If there is no change in the soul, divine punishment is inevitable. Emotion leads to hasty action whereas patient analysis leads to correct action.
Nope. If you are in contact with emotions of love of others, of fear around what harm can be caused....

that is EMOTIONS,

you may take longer to do something than a person cut off from their emotions will take. They get an image in their heads or a thought and they try to realize it, without feeling into the complexity of the situation.

Note: I am not saying that one should only be emotions. Thoughts and emotions are both important.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

dattaswami wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:34 am Suddenly, Sati changed her mood and committed suicide
Wow! That's quite a mood swing. :shock:
dattaswami

Post by dattaswami »

Harbal wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 10:35 pm
dattaswami wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:34 am Suddenly, Sati changed her mood and committed suicide
Wow! That's quite a mood swing. :shock:
The lesson that shall be understood from this case (Sati , become overwhelmed when her father scolded God Shiva who is her husband) is that one may get emotion in the love of God in theoretical phase. But, in practical phase, along with love (Bhakti), sharp analytical knowledge (Jnaana) is also essential.

Sati should have condemned her father and actually she condemned her father by giving proper replies to him, but, overwhelmed by emotion, she committed suicide losing God Shiva forever.

Parvati also faced the same situation when God Shiva came in disguise and scolded God Shiva, but, replied to every criticism and then tried to go away. Hence, emotion is very good for devotion since it is the life of love. But, it should be controlled by knowledge at its stage of climax. Even Chandralekha, who is the topmost devotee of God Krishna should have controlled her emotion at its stage of climax and could have saved her life.
If life is saved, she can meet Krishna next day or a few days later on.

Even the possibility of meeting Krishna exists in the daytime also because every Gopika used to go to the Madhura city in the daytime to sell the butter and there is an opportunity to meet Krishna on the way in the daytime also.
Even Hanuman thought of committing suicide when Sita was not found in Lanka! Hanuman is considered to be the highest intellectual in the creation, but, even He was overcome by the uncontrolled flow of emotion!
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

dattaswami wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 2:39 am He was overcome by the uncontrolled flow of emotion!
Many people deal with their inability to control their own emotions by demanding that others control their emotions. It's an emotion phobia based on fear that clearly some of the gods get caught up in also.
Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith »

"This is the package."

"I expected it to be bigger."

"You know."

"I do."

"Take it to the monastery, which one?"

"I have the compass, not to worry."

"Good."

"Who do I meet there?"

"Just do as you were told. Smoke a cigarette when you get the urge."

"Roger!"

"Godspeed."

"Will I see you again?"

"Soldiers we meet only once."

"But, I've never been one."

"The mirror of Turva never lies."

"Hahaha. Never say never!"

"Précisément! Proceed."

"Will do. Adios."

"Adios. Allah rahim."
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

So, God gives us emotions, then wants us to control them because they are a problem.
Seems like passing the buck.
And then, in the stories, the gods are always emotional.