What's going on with flies?

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Re: What's going on with flies?

Post by Age »

Harbal wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:32 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:12 pm Do you cook a lot of meat? They especially love the smell of meat cooking.
No, hardly any. I only get one in now and then, but they drive me mad when they refuse to go back out.
Do flies, or even just only fly, really have that much control OVER 'you', that one can actually drive you 'mad', and/or 'insane'?

Maybe the reason why nature created flies was to show just how simple and easy it REALLY is for some people to just 'go mad'.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Age wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:45 am

Why did nature equip human beings with the ability to learn, understand, and reason absolutely any and every thing, but then keep them stuck behind the closed doors of assumptions and beliefs?
At least when I go into a room I can find my way out again.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

..and the answer to my question regarding the only key I could not, and still to this day find...the spacebar - the largest key on the deck...and it appears to have disappeared into another dimension!

Post by Age »

Harbal wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:15 am
Age wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:45 am

Why did nature equip human beings with the ability to learn, understand, and reason absolutely any and every thing, but then keep them stuck behind the closed doors of assumptions and beliefs?
At least when I go into a room I can find my way out again.
At least flies are not annoyed by human beings, unlike some human beings who get so annoyed by just one fly that the human being 'goes crazy'.

And, are you aware that just sometimes flies do find their way out of a room, just like sometimes human beings can not find their way out of some rooms.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Age wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:35 am
At least flies are not annoyed by human beings, unlike some human beings who get so annoyed by just one fly that the human being 'goes crazy'.
Yes, at least there is that to be said about flies.

Age wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:35 am And, are you aware that just sometimes flies do find their way out of a room, just like sometimes human beings can not find their way out of some rooms.
I did a bit of research and it seems that you are correct, flies do sometimes find their way out of a room. I couldn't find any information about humans who haven't been able to find their way out of rooms, but I accept that it is possible.

Post by Age »

Harbal wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:57 am
Age wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:35 am
Yes, at least there is that to be said about flies.

Age wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:35 am And, are you aware that just sometimes flies do find their way out of a room, just like sometimes human beings can not find their way out of some rooms.
I did a bit of research and it seems that you are correct, flies do sometimes find their way out of a room. I couldn't find any information about humans who haven't been able to find their way out of rooms, but I accept that it is possible.
No real research was needed to find information about those who can not find their way out of some rooms, that is; other than to just think.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Harbal wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:57 am I did a bit of research and it seems that you are correct, flies do sometimes find their way out of a room. I couldn't find any information about humans who haven't been able to find their way out of rooms, but I accept that it is possible.
Then you have no right to judge them, you muscaphoble.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Iwannaplato wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:51 am
Harbal wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:57 am I did a bit of research and it seems that you are correct, flies do sometimes find their way out of a room. I couldn't find any information about humans who haven't been able to find their way out of rooms, but I accept that it is possible.
What's a muscaphoble?
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Harbal wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:57 am
Iwannaplato wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:51 am
What's a muscaphoble?
It's like an islamophobe only with flies. (LOL just realized how many ways that could be interpreted. Musca is latin for houseflies)
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

I just made that term up to take a gentle jab at your interlocutor.
But I see that the real term is even more convoluted
Pteronarcophobia

Though of course this is fear not speciesism, you bad boy.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Iwannaplato wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:12 am I just made that term up to take a gentle jab at your interlocutor.
Pteronarcophobia

When a fly gets in your house, and is constanty landing on the edge of your plate while you are eating, it is very difficult to feel goodwill towards it. But, that aside, I greatly admire flies. Their speed and agility is remarkable. They strike me as being examples of excellent natural engineering.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Harbal wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:22 am
Iwannaplato wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:12 am I just made that term up to take a gentle jab at your interlocutor.
Pteronarcophobia

When a fly gets in your house, and is constanty landing on the edge of your plate while you are eating, it is very difficult to feel goodwill towards it. But, that aside, I greatly admire flies. Their speed and agility is remarkable. They strike me as being examples of excellent natural engineering.
Ah, a pteronarcophile! I agree with what you describe, though I can't say I admire them. And intentionally allow spiders, discrete ones, to set up shop at home. This is mainly for fruit flies, clothes eating moths, mosquitoes...I am not sure I admire spiders, but they also have incredible skills.
My father would never kill spiders. He would always gently move them outside.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Iwannaplato wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:57 am
So do I, and I always start out by attempting to do that with flies.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Harbal wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:22 am
Pteronarcophobia

Ah, a pteronarcophile! I agree with what you describe, though I can't say I admire them. And intentionally allow spiders, discrete ones, to set up shop at home. This is mainly for fruit flies, clothes eating moths, mosquitoes...I am not sure I admire spiders, but they also have incredible skills.
Some spiders have evolved to be house spiders and die if you put them outside. I love spiders. Small creatures have far more intelligence than humans give them credit for. I can't stand people who get out a spray can every time they see an insect.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Harbal wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:05 am
So do I, and I always start out by attempting to do that with flies.
I've honed my 'fly dance' to perfection. I close off the room the fly is in and either open the door or a window and 'dance' it towards the window or door then quickly close it when it's gone out before it can double back. Of course, I would never let anyone see the secret 'fly dance' (except the fly). They might have me committed :lol:'
Last edited by vegetariantaxidermy on Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.