This Video Will Give You Goosebumps - Did Alan Watts Predict The Future?

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dontaskme

This Video Will Give You Goosebumps - Did Alan Watts Predict The Future?

Post by Dontaskme »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oxt-OzpDMm0

________

Alan Watts is/was a very articulate Non-dual speaker.

He was Born: 6 January 1915,
He Died: 16 November 1973

What's remarkable is that he lived in the era before the internet, iphones, and PC personal computers were a common thing to all of us living now. ..truly amazing to be in complete sync and harmony with the true nature of being....

Enjoy listening to the irrefutable clarity of your own being.
Sculptor

Re: This Video Will Give You Goosebumps - Did Alan Watts Predict The Future?

Post by Sculptor »

I'm shocked that anyone would be so easily taken in by this.
But perhaps less so that you would be.
:lol: :lol:
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Sculptor wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:10 pm I'm shocked that anyone would be so easily taken in by this.
But perhaps less so that you would be.
:lol: :lol:
Energy flows where attention goes...as they say.. :lol:

The Ego and the Self

Like two golden birds

Perched on the selfsame tree

Intimate, friends,

The ego and the self

Dwell in the same body.

The former eats the sweet

And sour fruits of the tree of life

While the latter looks on in detachment.

The Mundaka Upanishad
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

He's only repeating what was common in science fiction. and makes several gaffs early on in the comments.
People can and do refuse to answer their phones.
Some people still do not have pocket phones and refuse to use them.
It is only a minority of people with them that also communicate with their facial image.

SO what he is saying is just sci-fi speculation regurgitated, no "prediction" in any sense.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Sculptor wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:28 pm He's only repeating what was common in science fiction. and makes several gaffs early on in the comments.
It is only a minority of people with them that also communicate with their facial image.

SO what he is saying is just sci-fi speculation regurgitated, no "prediction" in any sense.
The point is ...the future is only known based on the past which is the present.. the only place you happen...in other words, whatever happens, has already happened, has already been written into the programme of being unfurling now.

Science - fiction is a real story.

Pre-diction....implies before now...which is only ever now. You are before you know you are, in other words. .You do not know you are until you inform yourself via the word.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Dontaskme wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:27 pm
Sculptor wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:28 pm He's only repeating what was common in science fiction. and makes several gaffs early on in the comments.

The point is ...the future is only known based on the past which is the present.. the only place you happen...in other words, whatever happens, has already happened, has already been written into the programme of being unfurling now.

Science - fiction is a real story.

Pre-diction....implies before now...which is only ever now. You are before you know you are, in other words. .You do not know you are until you inform yourself via the word.
I read lots is sci-fi - actually most of my reading is sci-fi. I've been reading it for 50 years and its mostly wrong.
So nah - not a real story..

I'd never hear of this guy before - he had a good way with words and can see why the makers of the video find themselves rather beguiled but "goosebumps" NO.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Sculptor wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:24 pm
I read lots is sci-fi - actually most of my reading is sci-fi. I've been reading it for 50 years and its mostly wrong.

I'd never hear of this guy before - he had a good way with words and can see why the makers of the video find themselves rather beguiled but "goosebumps" NO.
It's a real story that you have written...you are real are you not?

Have you ever had goosebumps...did you make them happen, or did they just happen without your consent? :lol:

I can't believe you haven't heard of Alan Watts...you and I are of same age and all.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Dontaskme wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:33 pm
Sculptor wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:24 pm

It's a real story that you have written...you are real are you not?

Have you ever had goosebumps...did you make them happen, or did they just happen without your consent? :lol:

I can't believe you haven't heard of Alan Watts...you and I are of same age and all.
Looks like he was more known in the US, especially in hippy land.
By the time of his death the UK had moved on.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Sculptor wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:11 pm
Looks like he was more known in the US, especially in hippy land.
By the time of his death the UK had moved on.
Ok, if that's your story.

We've all got a story to tell, we'll still be talking about it even when it's moved on dead and buried somewhere in nowhere land.

I mean, who and what the heck are you without your words, aka information informing you.

I mean what an earth would you even be if you didn't have a label or title attached to you to inform you?

You do not need to smoke pot or wear daisy chains around your head to know yourself...all you have to do is invent you...by plucking an idea out of thin air :lol:

Are you having fun being Sculptor?

Ooooooooooooooooooh god, why does no one on this forum seem to have a sense of humour...like Gods...you know, that stooopid creator that created you, then laughed watching you die a horrible death....groannnnnnnnn!! sigh!!!!!!!
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Anyone who understands evolution and knows that it applies to technology just as it does to everything, can 'predict' the future to a certain degree. No one predicted how shallow, self-absorbed, and narcissistic humans would become though. People should be more informed than ever before thanks to the internet, but the opposite has happened. Idiots have hijacked the internet. Who predicted that society would end up being controlled by mobs of know-nothing morons who can communicate only in one sentence 'tweets' of non-information?
Dimebag

Post by Dimebag »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:54 pm Anyone who understands evolution and knows that it applies to technology just as it does to everything, can 'predict' the future to a certain degree. No one predicted how shallow, self-absorbed, and narcissistic humans would become though. People should be more informed than ever before thanks to the internet, but the opposite has happened. Idiots have hijacked the internet. Who predicted that society would end up being controlled by mobs of know-nothing morons who can communicate only in one sentence 'tweets' of non-information?
There is a saying, the medium is the message. It seems Twitter’s Format of short several word chains lends itself perfectly to the human brain’s stream of consciousness, which has given us a window into people’s mental activity when they are being mindless, and it seems that activity is entirely a pile of crap which we could essentially ignore, which I have done by not having Twitter and therefore not needing to hear people’s mindless thoughts.

Care is required when communicating. We know that here, we see how easily conversations can degenerate into shit slinging matches. Good conversation requires civility, the ability to observe one’s own thoughts objectively and the ability to re-read one’s post for clarity, etc.

Furthermore, I believe one should avoid encoding their message with unnecessary emotion, especially that which might trigger another person’s emotions. When that Happens we depart the world of thoughtful discussion.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Dimebag wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:10 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:54 pm Anyone who understands evolution and knows that it applies to technology just as it does to everything, can 'predict' the future to a certain degree. No one predicted how shallow, self-absorbed, and narcissistic humans would become though. People should be more informed than ever before thanks to the internet, but the opposite has happened. Idiots have hijacked the internet. Who predicted that society would end up being controlled by mobs of know-nothing morons who can communicate only in one sentence 'tweets' of non-information?
There is a saying, the medium is the message. It seems Twitter’s Format of short several word chains lends itself perfectly to the human brain’s stream of consciousness, which has given us a window into people’s mental activity when they are being mindless, and it seems that activity is entirely a pile of crap which we could essentially ignore, which I have done by not having Twitter and therefore not needing to hear people’s mindless thoughts.

Care is required when communicating. We know that here, we see how easily conversations can degenerate into shit slinging matches. Good conversation requires civility, the ability to observe one’s own thoughts objectively and the ability to re-read one’s post for clarity, etc.

Furthermore, I believe one should avoid encoding their message with unnecessary emotion, especially that which might trigger another person’s emotions. When that Happens we depart the world of thoughtful discussion.
Whether you listen to it or not, it still wields a huge amount of power. I don't use 'twitter' either. It's only useful for those with a mob mentality (and there are clearly plenty of those), but that doesn't stop me from being aware of its capabilities.
Dimebag

Post by Dimebag »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:14 pm
Dimebag wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:10 pm

Whether you listen to it or not, it still wields a huge amount of power. I don't use 'twitter' either. It's only useful for those with a mob mentality (and there are clearly plenty of those), but that doesn't stop me from being aware of its capabilities.
I don’t disagree with you there, far too many people rely on Twitter for their livelihood, as well as for promotional purposes, which makes them extremely vulnerability to having to cater towards that mob mentality, but also, Twitter tends to amplify negative posts, so it doesn’t take that many bad faith actors to take down an innocent person.

What this means is, people who seek to destroy through words have far too much power on Twitter, by appealing to negative tweeting about vulnerable individuals. Those individuals then have to cowtow to those negative tweeters, reinforcing their power.

It is without a doubt, the worst system for mass communication to be used, leading to social instability. It seems to have reinforced the culture wars as well. IMO the plug should be pulled as it does far more harm than good.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Prediction is a myth...it's just a fancy way of saying..rinse and repeat...there is nothing new under the sun...once an idiot always an idiot.

Nothing changes. :lol:

Past and Future never happen...

The experience of your being is a not-happening happening.

When ever you listen to a person talking, all you are doing is reading a story book. People are just spewing library books out of their pie holes.

Everyone's story is their own truth, they are the original author of their own knowledge. They write their own story, but have no idea who is writing the story, so will include themself in the story by giving their un-known character a name. They'll say...I wrote this book....signed...name inserted.

People are open books...and the story they tell is inseparable from the book...the spewing out can appear in infinite variations.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Dimebag wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:24 pmfar too many people rely on Twitter for their livelihood, as well as for promotional purposes, which makes them extremely vulnerability to having to cater towards that mob mentality, but also, Twitter tends to amplify negative posts, so it doesn’t take that many bad faith actors to take down an innocent person.

Personally, when it comes to interacting with my adult children..I do not use twitter, or facebook, or instagram, or any other social media platform.

I only use ''WhatsApp'' on my iphone to communicate with my family. It really made me laugh when Alan Watts said in the video that.... '' in the future we will have devices that allow instant communication (i.e. the smartphones) where if you do not respond immediately people will assume you were dead"

I can so relate to that comment. The plus side to iphones is the instant communication, the not so plus is when you fear your loved one is dead because they have taken a long time to answer your texts...so relatable.