What can you say in this forum to show you’re not a P-Zombie?

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Flannel Jesus

Re: What can you say in this forum to show you’re not a P-Zombie?

Post by Flannel Jesus »

Your point was that none of your questions actually make sense in the context of p-zombies?
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:11 am
…ANY believable human behavior that you would expect from a fully conscious human being, you would also expect from a p-zombie. If you believe in the p-zombie proposition, there's literally no empirical way to distinguish between a p-zombie and a human.
Yes, my point was that there’s no way to tell the difference between a human and a p-zombie.
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

Yeah, which is the entire point of p-zombies in the first place. If there was a way to tell the difference, it wouldn't be a p-zombie. It's tautologically the case.

Post by Age »

RCSaunders wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:33 pm
commonsense wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:32 am What verbal behavior is there that will convince others that you are human?

You can say anything, e.g. “I am not an AI”, but just because you say it doesn’t make it so.

You can ask anything, but just because you’re inquisitive doesn’t mean you possess human curiosity.

Even if you post a link to a video of your physical behavior, it’s still possible that you have no mind of your own.

So, what can you say to assure others here that you are really human?
Why would anything not human wish to convince anyone it is human?

If you see anything that claims human origin, however remote, it was a human who initiated it. Even if it's a machine saying it, a human had to program the machine to say it.

Nothing will ever accidentally say, "hey, I'm human."

To prove you are human you only have to say so. Nothing else ever will.
So, if a robot says to you, "I am human", then 'that' is a human, correct?
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

commonsense wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:36 pm
Flannel Jesus wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:11 am
…ANY believable human behavior that you would expect from a fully conscious human being, you would also expect from a p-zombie. If you believe in the p-zombie proposition, there's literally no empirical way to distinguish between a p-zombie and a human.
Yes, my point was that there’s no way to tell the difference between a human and a p-zombie.
Incorrect! No machine, "says," anything. A machine might be created that mimicks human speech, but will only do so if a human being designed it to do so. As I said here:
That's right, except the programmed machine itself would not be the human. It is only an instrument being used by a human to say it's human, which would not happen without the human programmer. My point is, any claim to humanity would only ever occur at the behest of a human.
trokanmariel

Post by trokanmariel »

commonsense wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:32 am What verbal behavior is there that will convince others that you are human?

You can say anything, e.g. “I am not an AI”, but just because you say it doesn’t make it so.

You can ask anything, but just because you’re inquisitive doesn’t mean you possess human curiosity.

Even if you post a link to a video of your physical behavior, it’s still possible that you have no mind of your own.

So, what can you say to assure others here that you are really human?

Toy Story's Rex is the definition of emotion