Contextualism within philosophy of mind

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

mikomasr

Contextualism within philosophy of mind

Post by mikomasr »

Hello,

I’ve been training in a type of psychotherapy called ACT (acceptance and commitment therapy), which is based on a type of philosophy of mind called functional contextualism.
I have heard about functionalism before, but not functional contextualism. And when I go through university course curricula on the philosophy of mind, many branches are mentionned, but I’ve never seen contextualism in any of them. Contextualism seems to have been the subject of many scholarly papers but doesn’t seem to show up in mainstream courses. Why is that?

Thank you!
mikomasr

Re: Contextualism within philosophy of mind

Post by mikomasr »

Hello again,

I’m very sorry. I am completely ignorant in philosophy and I was under the impression that contextualism pertained to the philosophy of mind, but on second thought I now suspect it might actually be considered a philosophy of knowledge (or science?). I’m really not sure. So this post may need to be moved. Sorry about the confusion.
popeye1945

Re: Contextualism within philosophy of mind

Post by popeye1945 »

I am not sure if this will help, but they're really are no contexts in reality, this is a process of dividing up in pieces that which is whole, and as a whole it is to much for human contemplation. One draws a border or circle around what one wishes to understand, to understand a piece of the totality, a piece of the whole.