Consciousness

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

bahman

Re: Consciousness

Post by bahman »

Skepdick wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:53 am
bahman wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:13 pm Mind is an irreducible substance. It cannot be created or destroyed.
Irreducibility is an epistemic problem, not an ontological one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computati ... ducibility
I am aware of other types of irreducibilities, such as graphs,... I here I mean that the mind is not reducible to other things.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

bahman wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:00 pm
Sculptor wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:36 pm
bahman wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:13 pm
Mind is an irreducible substance. It cannot be created or destroyed.
Evidently false
I have an argument for everything that I said. You materialist had non.
Also Evidently false
bahman

Post by bahman »

Sculptor wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:16 pm
Sculptor wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:36 pm

Evidently false
Also Evidently false
Evidently true.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

bahman wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:18 pm
Also Evidently false
Evidently true.
Please show your evidence
bahman

Post by bahman »

Sculptor wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:48 pm

Also Evidently false
Evidently true.
The proof of mind being immortal is given in here. I however recall that we have been through that once.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

bahman wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:54 pm
Evidently true.
The proof of mind being immortal is given in here. I however recall that we have been through that once.
Correct. It is still rubbish and does not even qualify for the word evidence let alone proof.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Sculptor wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:03 pm

Correct. It is still rubbish and does not even qualify for the word evidence let alone proof.
Call it what you like. You are not telling me what is wrong with my argument. So it stands. QED.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

bahman wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:20 pm
Call it what you like. You are not telling me what is wrong with my argument. So it stands. QED.
It is a series of empty assertions with no evidence. That is not an argument. It is a xmas list.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Sculptor wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:55 pm

It is a series of empty assertions with no evidence. That is not an argument. It is a xmas list.
Do you want evidence for an argument? What is wrong with my argument? You cannot simply say that it is a series of empty assertions and play the role of the winner!
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

bahman wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:20 pm
Sculptor wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:55 pm
Do you want evidence for an argument? What is wrong with my argument?
What is wrong is that it has no evidence
You cannot simply say that it is a series of empty assertions and play the role of the winner!
Give me some evidence then. You might even try some reason too.
Scott Mayers

Post by Scott Mayers »

Jori wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:12 am Is consciousness just a function of the brain, like digestion is a function of the digestive organs. When the digestive organs die, then there will be no more digestion. Similarly, when the brain dies, there will be no more consciousness. Therefore, there is no afterlife. What do you think?
"Consciousness" is a dynamic state of the brain's collective neural activity as opposed to the relative states of the neuron's existences independently. It might be analogous to comparing the solid state of the electronics of a computer versus the actual activity of being used. ...Or, the comparison of matter itself to energy.

There is one major factor that needs to be noticed though: the effect of consciousness is likely ANY collective set of identical distinct parts that act in sync (shared present frequency). But for it to also be experienced as the same consciousness, a path at least has to exist that eventually enables the distinct parts to get into sync.

So, for instance, a set of twins can have the same material construct of neurons but cannot actually 'feel' each other unless they can share the energy of each other. People can 'share' a consciousness the more they are in connection with one another and can get 'in phase'. It would be rare and relatively trivial in comparison to our own local consciousness, but nevertheless an example.

In the same way, I argue that this is true of all material reality. All electrons, for instance, has an identity in common and can thus have the potential of being 'in sync.' A magnet, for instance, is the collective effect of iron set in carbonized semi-crystal-like areas of the almalgum that has electrons all aligned and in sync. The 'magnetic' effect exists at each electron but normally are not aligned. When they accerlerate in the same way and in relatively fixed phases to each other, they AMPLIFY the effect of each to be able to 'feel' one another.

We also have different neurons in different parts of the brain that are relatively distinct in structure and why these can have distinct 'conscious' states but are relatively 'subconscious' to other parts. Also, when we sleep, the phase is broken so that each neuron can do routine 'inventory' as this is necessary for normal upkeep. [we need downtime for the brain's neurons to "hardwire" any essential "soft" activity during the conscious states. If we lack sleep, the neurons cannot transfer the short-term memory of the prior day's cycle of awareness and we eventually cannot 'save' these after after a period.

Consciousness is an extended form of 'entanglement' but of only those neurons that are presently active and sharing the same frequency.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Sculptor wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:59 am
Sculptor wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:55 pm It is a series of empty assertions with no evidence. That is not an argument. It is a xmas list.
My argument is based on the fact that there is a change.

You cannot simply say that it is a series of empty assertions and play the role of the winner!
Read through my first argument and let me know what is wrong with it. Do you understand my argument?
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

bahman wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:03 pm

Read through my first argument and let me know what is wrong with it. Do you understand my argument?
FFS How many times do I have to tell you.
Read what I have said.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Sculptor wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:06 pm
Read what I have said.
Which kind of evidence do you want me to show you? That you will live after your death? You have to wait for that. If you are not patient enough then read through my argument.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

bahman wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:11 pm
Sculptor wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:06 pm

Read what I have said.
Which kind of evidence do you want me to show you? That you will live after your death? You have to wait for that. If you are not patient enough then read through my argument.
Please refer to the remarks I have previously made