Mind is immortal II

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

bahman

Re: Mind is immortal II

Post by bahman »

Sculptor wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:16 pm
bahman wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:45 am
Sculptor wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:56 pm
WT actual F are you babbling about??
Yes the contents have to change to learn and that is what is called CHANGE you dipship
I make the distinction between the mind and its content.
And that is why you are stupid. A thing is different when its contents are different
Sculptor wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:35 pm
BTW what is your solution to the hard problem of consciousness?
Physicalism answers everything.
What is the answer of physicalism to the hard problem of consciousness?
I make the distinction between mind/bare mind (mind without content) and dressed mind (mind with content). By the way, what is the solution of physicalism to the hard problem of consciousness?
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

bahman wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:50 am
bahman wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:45 am
I make the distinction between the mind and its content.
And that is why you are stupid. A thing is different when its contents are different

What is the answer of physicalism to the hard problem of consciousness?
I make the distinction between mind/bare mind (mind without content) and dressed mind (mind with content). By the way, what is the solution of physicalism to the hard problem of consciousness?
Neuroscience
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Sculptor wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:00 pm
Neuroscience
Neuroscience is a field of study, not a solution to a problem. So, what research, please cite, solves the hard problem of consciousness.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Iwannaplato wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:45 pm
Neuroscience
Neuroscience is a field of study, not a solution to a problem. So, what research, please cite, solves the hard problem of consciousness.
It is where the answer lies Take it or leave it.
Wadda ya got?
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Sculptor wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:32 pm
Iwannaplato wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:45 pm

Neuroscience
Wadda ya got?
He or she asked what the solution was. You answered neuroscience. That is not WHAT the answer is. Now you say it is WHERE the answer is. Fine, so the answer is there, in neuroscience. Tell us what the answer is and refer to the reseach that gives the answer. You're making a claim, I am asking you to support that claim. Telling me to take it or leave sounds like we should just believe you.

Demonstrate.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Iwannaplato wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:32 am
Sculptor wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:32 pm
Iwannaplato wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:45 pm Neuroscience is a field of study, not a solution to a problem. So, what research, please cite, solves the hard problem of consciousness.
Wadda ya got?
He or she asked what the solution was. You answered neuroscience. That is not WHAT the answer is. Now you say it is WHERE the answer is. Fine, so the answer is there, in neuroscience. Tell us what the answer is and refer to the reseach that gives the answer. You're making a claim, I am asking you to support that claim. Telling me to take it or leave sounds like we should just believe you.

Demonstrate.
Don't be silly - we all know who you are.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Sculptor wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:54 am Don't be silly - we all know who you are.
OK, you can't justify a claim in a philosophy forum and you don't seem to understand that this is part of philosophical discussions. Not much I can do about you just making claims and not supporting them.

Who do you think I am? And anyone else reading this, who do you all think I am, and what does my identity have to do with the answer to the hard problem of consciousness that Sculptor believes can be found in neuroscience?

Can anyone give me a reason to take Sculptor here as being anything other that evasive and disingenous?
bahman

Post by bahman »

Neuroscience
Neuroscience just show that there is a correlation between mental activity and the matter process. It does not show how the former emerges from later.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

bahman wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:47 pm
Neuroscience
Neuroscience just show that there is a correlation between mental activity and the matter process. It does not show how the former emerges from later.
It does not have to.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Sculptor wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:34 pm It does not have to.
So, neuroscience is not where you find the solution to the hard problem of consciousness.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Iwannaplato wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:39 pm
Sculptor wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:34 pm It does not have to.
So, neuroscience is not where you find the solution to the hard problem of consciousness.
Really? Where is that solution ?
bahman

Post by bahman »

Sculptor wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:34 pm

Neuroscience
It does not have to.
It has to. Otherwise, the hard problem of consciousness is not resolved.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

bahman wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:52 am
It does not have to.
Why?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Sculptor wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:41 am
It does not have to.
Why?
..because it only is a perception (rather recursive in consideration) of what is happening, it does not answer how an arrangement of atoms permits the qualia of the senses that provides consciousness.

A theory of mine that Davo as Charming as he is should consider: - within this universe is the dark matter/energy. It seems rather ineffable almost as much as consciousness (unique qualia provided via a unique arrangement of atoms) itself is....thus it is plausible, that just as an electronic component requires electrons via cathode <----> anode to function, perhaps, for qualia to exist, requires input energy from our 'light' <----> 'dark energy/matter' to function (a theory of mine :D )
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

attofishpi wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:50 pm
Sculptor wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:41 am
Why?
..because it only is a perception (rather recursive in consideration) of what is happening, it does not answer how an arrangement of atoms permits the qualia of the senses that provides consciousness.

A theory of mine that Davo as Charming as he is should consider: - within this universe is the dark matter/energy. It seems rather ineffable almost as much as consciousness (unique qualia provided via a unique arrangement of atoms) itself is....thus it is plausible, that just as an electronic component requires electrons via cathode <----> anode to function, perhaps, for qualia to exist, requires input energy from our 'light' <----> 'dark energy/matter' to function (a theory of mine :D )
You are answering a different question. Maybe you should stick to questions that are asked of you?