Mind is immortal II

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

bahman

Mind is immortal II

Post by bahman »

To show that the mind is immortal I have to show that the mind is time-independent and it exists. The existence of the mind is discussed here. To show that the mind is time-independent we first assume that time is time dependent. This means that the mind is subject to change. Anything that is subject to change requires a mind. This leads to a regress. Therefore, the mind is time-independent. Therefore, the mind is immortal.
Dontaskme

Re: Mind is immortal II

Post by Dontaskme »

bahman wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:30 pm To show that the mind is immortal I have to show that the mind is time-independent and it exists. The existence of the mind is discussed here. To show that the mind is time-independent we first assume that time is time dependent. This means that the mind is subject to change. Anything that is subject to change requires a mind. This leads to a regress. Therefore, the mind is time-independent. Therefore, the mind is immortal.
No it’s not immortal ..the mind is an appearance of the immortal…an appearance is any thing but immortal.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

"time is time dependent"

Popeye is a sweet potato

"I yam what I yam"

-Imp
Terrapin Station

Post by Terrapin Station »

bahman wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:30 pm Anything that is subject to change requires a mind.
Oy vey. No. That's nonsense.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

bahman wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:30 pm Anything that is subject to change requires a mind. This leads to a regress. Therefore, the mind is time-independent. Therefore, the mind is immortal.
It's true! Changing one's mind requires a mind to change. What may make some minds immortal is, if they lived for 5 years or 5000, they would never feel the need to change their minds which is especially true for theists and some philosophy forum participants. So, yes, I half agree; that kind of mind is time independent. :shock: :mrgreen:
bahman

Post by bahman »

Dontaskme wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:45 pm
bahman wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:30 pm To show that the mind is immortal I have to show that the mind is time-independent and it exists. The existence of the mind is discussed here. To show that the mind is time-independent we first assume that time is time dependent. This means that the mind is subject to change. Anything that is subject to change requires a mind. This leads to a regress. Therefore, the mind is time-independent. Therefore, the mind is immortal.
No it’s not immortal ..the mind is an appearance of the immortal…an appearance is any thing but immortal.
No, the mind is a substance. It is not appearance.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Terrapin Station wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:24 pm
bahman wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:30 pm Anything that is subject to change requires a mind.
That is proven in the link that is provided in OP.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

bahman wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:56 am
Dontaskme wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:45 pm
No, the mind is a substance. It is not appearance.
A substance is an appearance.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

bahman wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:56 am No, the mind is a substance.
Good to know. Where can I buy a pound of it? What color is it? Is it a solid, liquid, or gas?

Where in the periodic table of the elements does it appear, or is it a compound?

Or are you just spouting some mystic nonsense that regards ectoplasm or some other ineffable stuff a substance. Woo!
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

You noticed that too!?
bahman

Post by bahman »

RCSaunders wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:55 pm
Good to know. Where can I buy a pound of it? What color is it? Is it a solid, liquid, or gas?

Where in the periodic table of the elements does it appear, or is it a compound?

Or are you just spouting some mystic nonsense that regards ectoplasm or some other ineffable stuff a substance. Woo!
By substance I mean that it is something that exists and can affect reality.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

bahman wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:31 pm

Well that explains nothing. All sorts of things exist which are not substances and in some sense are reality, like all knowledge, history, geography, the latest news and memory. They all really exist, but they don't exist materially and are not substances.

The mind really exists, but it's not a substance, it's an attribute of those living organisms we call human beings and has no meaning or existence independent of the individuals to which each mind pertains. Sans humans, there are no minds.
Terrapin Station

Post by Terrapin Station »

bahman wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:57 am
I explained in that thread what's wrong with your "proof."

If x is a two particle system, all we need for x to change is for the relations of the particles to change.
bahman

Post by bahman »

RCSaunders wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:51 pm
bahman wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:31 pm

Well that explains nothing. All sorts of things exist which are not substances and in some sense are reality, like all knowledge, history, geography, the latest news, and memory. They all really exist, but they don't exist materially and are not substances.
Knowledge, in general, is a substance too but it is a different category from the mind.
RCSaunders wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:55 pm The mind really exists, but it's not a substance, it's an attribute of those living organisms we call human beings and has no meaning or existence independent of the individuals to which each mind pertains. Sans humans, there are no minds.
Mind is not an attribute given my definition.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Terrapin Station wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:37 pm
bahman wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:57 am

I explained in that thread what's wrong with your "proof."

If x is a two particle system, all we need for x to change is for the relations of the particles to change.
I don't understand your point.