intellectual escape velocity

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Advocate

intellectual escape velocity

Post by Advocate »

There is a certain point in understanding at which everything in the world makes sense to you in relation to everything else at least on a theoretical level. The limitation then becomes logistic - how many books can you read to fill in the gaps, how much time do you have, how many experiments do you need to do, which are the most important bits of knowledge to pursue?

Re: intellectual escape velocity

Post by Age »

Advocate wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:12 pm There is a certain point in understanding at which everything in the world makes sense to you in relation to everything else at least on a theoretical level.
And, to some of us, this happens on the empirical level, AS WELL.
Advocate wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:12 pm The limitation then becomes logistic - how many books can you read to fill in the gaps, how much time do you have, how many experiments do you need to do, which are the most important bits of knowledge to pursue?
Is this HOW 'you', "advocate", ARE LIMITED?

Some of 'us' ARE NOT LIMITED, AT ALL. But this is because we have gained True Understanding, which appears to be VERY DIFFERENT from YOUR "understanding" of 'Understanding', itself.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Advocate wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:12 pm There is a certain point in understanding at which everything in the world makes sense to you in relation to everything else at least on a theoretical level. The limitation then becomes logistic - how many books can you read to fill in the gaps, how much time do you have, how many experiments do you need to do, which are the most important bits of knowledge to pursue?
Who are we, where did we come from, and where are we going?

Post by Age »

Walker wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:53 am
Advocate wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:12 pm There is a certain point in understanding at which everything in the world makes sense to you in relation to everything else at least on a theoretical level. The limitation then becomes logistic - how many books can you read to fill in the gaps, how much time do you have, how many experiments do you need to do, which are the most important bits of knowledge to pursue?
'We' is always the clarified and agreed upon conception.

Where 'we', human beings, came from is thee One Universe, Itself, which is in eternal Creation. 'We' came from thee preexisting, always creating, Universe, the way 'It' IS, through evolution.

Where 'we', human beings, are going is to keep evolving in learning HOW to keep creating 'that', which we ALL want, AND DESIRE.

'We' will always continue to keep evolving and creating the 'world', the way 'it' IS.

But since you posed your CLARIFYING QUESTION to "advocate", let us SEE what they respond with.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=Walker post_id=485621 time=1608450817 user_id=11599]
[quote=Advocate post_id=485245 time=1608217935 user_id=15238]
There is a certain point in understanding at which everything in the world makes sense to you in relation to everything else at least on a theoretical level. The limitation then becomes logistic - how many books can you read to fill in the gaps, how much time do you have, how many experiments do you need to do, which are the most important bits of knowledge to pursue?
[/quote]
[/quote]

Who are we? and Where are we going? are questions we have to choose the answer to, not find.

Where did we come from? is an empirical question for anthropology.

:p ...or did you mean something slightly different than i interpreted?
Walker

Post by Walker »

I mean, those are the biggest questions, aren't they.

Hold them in mind perpetually … go for the gusto, si?
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=Walker post_id=485633 time=1608472910 user_id=11599]
I mean, those are the biggest questions, aren't they.

[/quote]

So then, what's your framework for understanding that leads us to choose the correct answers where we may choose them and find the right ones where we might find them? Those seem more fundamental questions.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Those three are questions of the human realm.

I suppose for some folks the next meal is the biggest question, but that's an animal existence, or perhaps a hungry ghost's existence, always hungry, never satisfied.

Other biggest questions reveal other realms co-existing with the human realm ... upper and lower realms. Other frameworks, as you say.

Of secondary concern to the human realm: what would these other questions from other realms, besides where's the next meal, be?
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=Walker post_id=485639 time=1608476072 user_id=11599]
Those three are questions of the human realm.

I suppose for some folks the next meal is the biggest question, but that's an animal existence, or perhaps a hungry ghost's existence, always hungry, never satisfied.

Other biggest questions reveal other realms co-existing with the human realm ... upper and lower realms. Other frameworks, as you say.

Of secondary concern to the human realm: what would these other questions from other realms, besides where's the next meal, be?
[/quote]

I see that you have the seed of what i would call Universal Taxonomy - that everything can be organized in relation to everything else, even complex or fuzzy questions like upper and lower realms. I look forward to seeing your ideas in graphical form so i can settle in my mind how they interact with my own.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

The ones that are interesting.
The limits are not there.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Walker wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:01 pm I mean, those are the biggest questions, aren't they.

No. These are very small questions, if questions they are at all. It is pure vanity to ask.

You might attempt these on a personal level, but that is not what you mean at all.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Advocate wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:11 pm I see that you have the seed of what i would call Universal Taxonomy - that everything can be organized in relation to everything else, even complex or fuzzy questions like upper and lower realms. I look forward to seeing your ideas in graphical form so i can settle in my mind how they interact with my own.
Upper realms realize greater access to mind than lower realms, but all access the same mind.

Order allows intellectual implications to righteously proceed into the past or future from any link in the chain of causation, but all things considered, any thing is caused by every thing.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Sculptor wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:31 pm
Walker wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:01 pm I mean, those are the biggest questions, aren't they.

No. These are very small questions, if questions they are at all. It is pure vanity to ask.

You might attempt these on a personal level, but that is not what you mean at all.
Probably best if you just answer the damn questions.

:D
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Walker wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:37 pm
Sculptor wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:31 pm

Probably best if you just answer the damn questions.

:D
You did not ask any.