Social media and the reinforcement of the ego

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dimebag

Social media and the reinforcement of the ego

Post by Dimebag »

As we live in a world which has become almost completely integrated with social media, it seems the collective ego has also become heavily amplified.

It’s no real surprise, and I think big tech knew this, and even intentionally planned it.

Just look at the product names of apples lineup: IPhone, IPod, IMac.

The ‘I’ I believe is actually an intentional marketing too which was both a self fulfilling tool, which both predicted and reinforced with its design principles and end goal, the amplification of the ego, or the “I”.

Why would big tech want this?

Well, I think they knew instinctively that, what drives sales is the egoic tendency to consume. Amplify the ego and you amplify the need to consume.

This seems to have been the underlying drive and goal behind big tech’s direction over the past 20 or so years. And to be honest, they were spot on, it’s worked to a tee.

Egoism is rampant. Just take a look (if you dare) at most of your friends social media feeds, especially the younger millennial generation, who has grown up and been raised or bathed in this environment from very young ages. There is a complete unconscious display of egoism, completely non self aware. There is no sense of reflection. Only projecting out, especially with the goal of projecting a self image which tries to reinforce itself with approval, likes, shares, etc. This is an addictive cycle. It relies on the need for approval of others. This need for approval is also highly tied to the rampant tribalism we are seeing these days. As individuals seek approval from a group, they begin to change their behaviour and beliefs in order to gain the approval of that group. This is the forming of a new identity, and with this identity come the beliefs, the inherent rights and wrongs, and then, the tendency to force this upon others. It is viral in a sense that the ideology self perpetuates due to the need for approval, to display and signal to others which group the individual is a part of.

But then of course, there are rival groups, which appeal to different aspects of personality, and behavioural tendency.

So what aspects might predict whether a person might feel the need to force this group identity on others?

My guess is, low sense of self worth, or self esteem.

Now the question is, what is to be done about it? Can anything be done about it? Should anything be done about it? Or, should the culture wars be played out against each other until something drastic happens?

Is this thread even an accurate assessment of the issue? Or is it all just human nature which can never change?

It seems to be able to see this accurately, you need to stand back from it, not exist within either or any specific identifying group, ideology, etc.

Some self reflective ability I think is necessary. The ability to look at one’s own beliefs, tendencies, etc with a completely impartial eye, with detachment.

Anyway. I know this thread is a little disorganised, I’m hoping some clear identification will emerge via discussion.
Impenitent

Re: Social media and the reinforcement of the ego

Post by Impenitent »

exploiting the egocentric predicament is merely good business

-Imp
Dimebag

Post by Dimebag »

Impenitent wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:43 am exploiting the egocentric predicament is merely good business

-Imp
Is it good business to cause the civilisation you are dependent on to collapse? Seems merely short sightedness.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

blaming the players for the rules of the game ...

-Imp
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Impenitent wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:11 am blaming the players for the rules of the game ...

-Imp
Smart people don't play dumb games.

Smart tech bad ...smart players good within the dream of separation.

But beyond the dream there's just what is, no good, no bad, no winners, no losers..just another dead end negative. Urgh! ...freedom at zero point.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Dimebag wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:09 am As we live in a world which has become almost completely integrated with social media, it seems the collective ego has also become heavily amplified.

It’s no real surprise, and I think big tech knew this, and even intentionally planned it.

The ‘I’ I believe is actually an intentional marketing too which was both a self fulfilling tool, which both predicted and reinforced with its design principles and end goal, the amplification of the ego, or the “I”.

Well, I think they knew instinctively that, what drives sales is the egoic tendency to consume. Amplify the ego and you amplify the need to consume.

This seems to have been the underlying drive and goal behind big tech’s direction over the past 20 or so years. And to be honest, they were spot on, it’s worked to a tee.

Egoism is rampant. Just take a look (if you dare) at most of your friends social media feeds, especially the younger millennial generation, who has grown up and been raised or bathed in this environment from very young ages. There is a complete unconscious display of egoism, completely non self aware. There is no sense of reflection. Only projecting out, especially with the goal of projecting a self image which tries to reinforce itself with approval, likes, shares, etc. This is an addictive cycle. It relies on the need for approval of others. This need for approval is also highly tied to the rampant tribalism we are seeing these days. As individuals seek approval from a group, they begin to change their behaviour and beliefs in order to gain the approval of that group. This is the forming of a new identity, and with this identity come the beliefs, the inherent rights and wrongs, and then, the tendency to force this upon others. It is viral in a sense that the ideology self perpetuates due to the need for approval, to display and signal to others which group the individual is a part of.

But then of course, there are rival groups, which appeal to different aspects of personality, and behavioural tendency.

So what aspects might predict whether a person might feel the need to force this group identity on others?

Now the question is, what is to be done about it? Can anything be done about it? Should anything be done about it? Or, should the culture wars be played out against each other until something drastic happens?

Is this thread even an accurate assessment of the issue? Or is it all just human nature which can never change?

It seems to be able to see this accurately, you need to stand back from it, not exist within either or any specific identifying group, ideology, etc.

Some self reflective ability I think is necessary. The ability to look at one’s own beliefs, tendencies, etc with a completely impartial eye, with detachment.

Anyway. I know this thread is a little disorganised, I’m hoping some clear identification will emerge via discussion.
Never mind. The “I” stands for “Internet”.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

commonsense wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:56 pm
https://blueballfixed.ytmnd.com/
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Dontaskme wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:38 am
You aren’t old enough to remember when VP Al Gore created the Information Highway which was later dubbed the Internet (lower case internet was used for LANs) by the Defense Department.
roydop

Post by roydop »

Dimebag wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:09 am As we live in a world which has become almost completely integrated with social media, it seems the collective ego has also become heavily amplified.

i know why all of this digitization is taking place and why humanity is becoming ever more addicted to screens.

www.onesteppath.com under the "Nonconceptuality" tab.

This goes to the most fundamental levels of human consciousness and reality itself.
DanDare

Post by DanDare »

Impenitent wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:11 am blaming the players for the rules of the game ...

-Imp
Edward DeBono coined the term Ludocy: "Playing an insane game intelligently" You may use your intelligence to "win" but its a horrible waste to do so.
DanDare

Post by DanDare »

commonsense wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:34 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:38 am
You aren’t old enough to remember when VP Al Gore created the Information Highway which was later dubbed the Internet (lower case internet was used for LANs) by the Defense Department.
Bzzzzt. Al Gore did not create any such thing. ARPA Net (Advanced Research Projects Agency Network) became The Internet at universities in the 1960s. TCP/IP protocal made it more accessible and The World Wide Web was layered over that in the late 80s. That made information connection plausible with Hyper Text Markup Language (HTML). That led to it being accessible to consumers who had already started using the internet via dedicated sites with various email like protocols. Yahoo and Google added an accelerator by producing curated indexes, which google later perfected by adding indexing A.I.
DanDare

Post by DanDare »

Dimebag wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:09 am It’s no real surprise, and I think big tech knew this, and even intentionally planned it.

Its irrelevant to the rest of your argument but you have no basis for claiming this. My wife was working at apple at the time. The big discussion was whether to call it the "ephone", similar to "email" or something else. Somebody suggested that since it could access the web we call it the "web phone" and somebody else suggested "what about 'internet phone'?". That was abbreviated to iPhone. Marketing basically just got given the name and went with it.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

DanDare wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:57 am Edward DeBono coined the term Ludocy: "Playing an insane game intelligently" You may use your intelligence to "win" but its a horrible waste to do so.
Hey, Dan Dare...do you know it?

I like the Mekon.
DanDare

Post by DanDare »

Immanuel Can wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:12 am
DanDare wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:57 am Edward DeBono coined the term Ludocy: "Playing an insane game intelligently" You may use your intelligence to "win" but its a horrible waste to do so.
Hey, Dan Dare...do you know it?

I like the Mekon.
I preferred the Mekon (who was the "bad guy") over my adopted Internet Namesake too. Still, I like the idea of being "The Pilot of the Future". :)
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

DanDare wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:24 am Still, I like the idea of being "The Pilot of the Future". :)
Ah, old Elton John. The boy could play, that's for sure.