the mind/body problem solved

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Advocate

the mind/body problem solved

Post by Advocate »

The correct interpretation is that the mind is a metaphor for the patterns in the brain. It's the same physical stuff.
FlashDangerpants

Re: the mind/body problem solved

Post by FlashDangerpants »

Glad we could get that sorted out. Everybody go home, philsoophy is complete for the day.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=FlashDangerpants post_id=470180 time=1599674993 user_id=11800]
Glad we could get that sorted out. Everybody go home, philsoophy is complete for the day.
[/quote]

You're being sarcastic but that's your loss. Your statement is technically accurate. That part of philosophy is finished forever. The "hard problem" as typically stated is an empirical one, not a philosophical one. That's why we have neuroscience.
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

You forgot to update us on whether this argument is perfect. I may have to ding you some points for that alone.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Advocate wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:04 pm The correct interpretation is that the mind is a metaphor for the patterns in the brain. It's the same physical stuff.
I seem to think the "mind body problem" is regarded as one of philosophy's toughest nuts to crack. One would have predicted fame and fortune for the guy who came up with the solution, so how disappointed you must be that there isn't enough solution to write a book about. Or to even to put on the back of a post card, for that matter. :(
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=Harbal post_id=470214 time=1599684577 user_id=9107]
[quote=Advocate post_id=470157 time=1599671043 user_id=15238]
The correct interpretation is that the mind is a metaphor for the patterns in the brain. It's the same physical stuff.
[/quote]

I seem to think the "mind body problem" is regarded as one of philosophy's toughest nuts to crack. One would have predicted fame and fortune for the guy who came up with the solution, so how disappointed you must be that there isn't enough solution to write a book about. Or to even to put on the back of a post card, for that matter. :(
[/quote]

Most of The Truth is simple like that, but take it for a spin. If you're legit you'll soon recognize it for what it is.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Advocate wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:09 pm Most of The Truth is simple like that, but take it for a spin. If you're legit you'll soon recognize it for what it is.
Well I wouldn't claim to be "legit", but I think I can still recognise it for what it is.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=Harbal post_id=470239 time=1599689777 user_id=9107]
[quote=Advocate post_id=470235 time=1599689358 user_id=15238]
Most of The Truth is simple like that, but take it for a spin. If you're legit you'll soon recognize it for what it is.
[/quote]

Well I wouldn't claim to be "legit", but I think I can still recognise it for what it is.
[/quote]

Good, then you can move on to some point that isn't so easily settled.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Advocate wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:25 pm Good, then you can move on to some point that isn't so easily settled.
I'll leave that to you, it wouldn't be as funny if I did it. :)
Dimebag

Post by Dimebag »

You’re failing to mention that the mind body problem was later expanded to include consciousness, i.e. the hard problem of consciousness. That question has not been settled.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=Dimebag post_id=470699 time=1599866462 user_id=5396]
You’re failing to mention that the mind body problem was later expanded to include consciousness, i.e. the hard problem of consciousness. That question has not been settled.
[/quote]

How does consciousness arise? is an empirical problem. Do you have a particular phrasing of it in mind?
Dimebag

Post by Dimebag »

Advocate wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:38 am
Dimebag wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:21 am You’re failing to mention that the mind body problem was later expanded to include consciousness, i.e. the hard problem of consciousness. That question has not been settled.
How does consciousness arise? is an empirical problem. Do you have a particular phrasing of it in mind?
How can we understand consciousness from the perspective of the body and brain? The brain being an extension of the body dealing with sensory information. Obviously the brain is not separate from the body, the brain extends into the body, and mind/consciousness aren’t different from the functioning of the brain/body system in an environment. Can we produce a pattern of understanding to explain this relationship?
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=Dimebag post_id=470706 time=1599874358 user_id=5396]
[quote=Advocate post_id=470701 time=1599867516 user_id=15238]
[quote=Dimebag post_id=470699 time=1599866462 user_id=5396]
[/quote]

[/quote]
How can we understand consciousness from the perspective of the body and brain? The brain being an extension of the body dealing with sensory information. Obviously the brain is not separate from the body, the brain extends into the body, and mind/consciousness aren’t different from the functioning of the brain/body system in an environment. Can we produce a pattern of understanding to explain this relationship?
[/quote]

I believe that by the time we understand enough about how consciousness works we'll also have enough physical correlates and a vocabulary to match. It's certainly some kind of feedback loop. It certainly had something to do with certain areas of the brain and the default mode network. The question as you phrased it isn't nearly specific enough to imagine what a specific answer could look like.

There's a lot that can be said about how the conscious and subconscious mind interact.