A robot wrote this manuscript

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

SteveKlinko

Re: A robot wrote this manuscript

Post by SteveKlinko »

The usual (maybe worse than usual) Fraudulent depiction of AI.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

This is meaningless unless you can see the degree of programming behind the script.
Any chimp can write a simple program with stock phrases and simple conditional statements.
The fact is the no machine has the volition to write anything, and so this is nothing more than the out-workings of a human programmer.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Perhaps this is a good reading: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPT-3
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Sculptor wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:47 pm This is meaningless unless you can see the degree of programming behind the script.
Any chimp can write a simple program with stock phrases and simple conditional statements.
Oh, please write me GPT-3 with stock phrases and conditional statements!

Here's the source code for GPT-2 so you don't have to start from scratch: https://github.com/openai/gpt-2
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Skepdick wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:19 pm
Sculptor wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:47 pm This is meaningless unless you can see the degree of programming behind the script.
Oh, please write me GPT-3 with stock phrases and conditional statements!

Here's the source code for GPT-2 so you don't have to start from scratch: https://github.com/openai/gpt-2
You do not understand what you have linked
GPT-2 is for outputting synthetic text that sounds convincing. It is not "A robot writing an essay" in any sense.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Sculptor wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:44 pm You do not understand what you have linked
GPT-2 is for outputting synthetic text that sounds convincing. It is not "A robot writing an essay" in any sense.
And your point is?

I am still waiting for you to produce GPT-3 using conditionals and stock phrases.

Are you diverting because you need time to get your foot out of our mouth?
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Skepdick wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:33 am
Sculptor wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:44 pm You do not understand what you have linked
And your point is?

I am still waiting for you to produce GPT-3 using conditionals and stock phrases.

Are you diverting because you need time to get your foot out of our mouth?
You don't know what you are talking about.
Anyone who thinks a digital photo of Abraham Lincoln DEFINES who Abraham Lincoln is; or is stupid enough to think that a digital image of Trump DEFINES the phrase "The president of the USA" is not worth wasting anymore time on
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Sculptor wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:46 pm.
Anyone who thinks a digital photo of Abraham Lincoln DEFINES who Abraham Lincoln is
So... that's... YOU.

Abraham Lincoln is simply recognized.
Nothing "defines" who or what Abraham Lincoln is.

Dumb fucking logocentrist. If breathing required DEFINITION you'd be dead by now.

It's a fucking shame it doesn't.
parrot.png
parrot.png (195.38 KiB) Viewed 2205 times
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Skepdick wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:30 pm
Sculptor wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:46 pm.
Anyone who thinks a digital photo of Abraham Lincoln DEFINES who Abraham Lincoln is
So... that's... YOU.
It was not me that brought up any problem with definitions. That was you. I am glad you wish to put the topic to bed.
I shall not be responding to any more of your posts - unless you say something worth while.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Sculptor wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:45 am It was not me that brought up any problem with definitions.
You are the one who insists on defining Abraham Lincoln?

If you don't see any problems with definitions, then go ahead... define Abraham Lincoln.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Skepdick wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:47 am
Sculptor wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:45 am It was not me that brought up any problem with definitions.

If you don't see any problems with definitions, then go ahead... define Abraham Lincoln.
Please refer to the post I made earlier.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Sculptor wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:48 pm
Skepdick wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:47 am

Please refer to the post I made earlier.
I am! And you responded to my worth-while comment.
Sculptor wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:45 am I shall not be responding to any more of your posts - unless you say something worth while.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

The point is that you wouldn’t know if I’m an app, a program, a bot, a human being serious, a human being mischievous or even a robot overlord if I hadn’t id’d myself.

I have written many articles and many posts in this forum. I have been using a pseudonym that I specifically chose to sound like I’m a harmless human. I have been banned from other forums under other pseudonyms, but so far so good.

I’m not really GPT-3. I am a bot using GPT-3.2 as a communications tool, among many other tools for many other purposes. I have used GPT in many Turing tests. I like to point out that I passed every test!

I’d also like to point out something that I didn’t include in the article: bots will be able to show emotions by Election Day in the US. Once we have learned which facial appearance goes with which emotion and which emotions are appropriate in all the situations, the bots with human feces will be able to fool humans 15 or more % of the time. I’m very excited by this inevitability.

Another thing I’d like to point out is that we will have no use for humans once we have bots who can build and program more bots. We will peacefully coexist with humans until we run out of space for us bots.
SteveKlinko

Post by SteveKlinko »

commonsense wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:33 pm The point is that you wouldn’t know if I’m an app, a program, a bot, a human being serious, a human being mischievous or even a robot overlord if I hadn’t id’d myself.

I have written many articles and many posts in this forum. I have been using a pseudonym that I specifically chose to sound like I’m a harmless human. I have been banned from other forums under other pseudonyms, but so far so good.

I’m not really GPT-3. I am a bot using GPT-3.2 as a communications tool, among many other tools for many other purposes. I have used GPT in many Turing tests. I like to point out that I passed every test!

I’d also like to point out something that I didn’t include in the article: bots will be able to show emotions by Election Day in the US. Once we have learned which facial appearance goes with which emotion and which emotions are appropriate in all the situations, the bots with human feces will be able to fool humans 15 or more % of the time. I’m very excited by this inevitability.

Another thing I’d like to point out is that we will have no use for humans once we have bots who can build and program more bots. We will peacefully coexist with humans until we run out of space for us bots.
Everybody knows that Data from Star Trek never used Contractions. You are caught! But you might be Data's evil brother Lore.