Multiple Minds within Mind

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Flora

Multiple Minds within Mind

Post by Flora »

It seems to me that considering many different minds within mind solve each and every problem related to understanding our consciousness.

I theorize or hypothesize mind as at least six different minds creating the phenomena called consciousness, however consciousness is too big a thing to be understood by just understanding mind.

All these minds work differently and are not identical to each other in processing the information. Their ways of processing information are different. Some minds are more involved in processing and some are less. For example, one part of mind is only involved in memorizing and not processing.

They watch each other, like they are in some conference sitting in front of each other and they have differences. They oppose and conclude differently. This is from where we get observer effect; a mind observing mind, or self observing self. This is where feeling of "self" is created.

Beliefs, ideas renders a part of mind becoming more powerful than other mind. Suppose our beliefs and ideas align more with a particular part of mind but not with other part of mind, then the part with which our beliefs and ideas align have greater control over our mind. But when our beliefs and values changes, then other part of mind may take over greater control. In this way we have different individuals with different personalities as their beliefs, ideas, experiences, values, education etc. are different. And when they change their beliefs, values etc., they become different personality.

We perceive things differently because we have different configurations of different minds. This is why our perception work differently.

Differences and similarities in our behaviour is because of difference and similarities in our beliefs, values, ideas, experience etc.

So, mind is like mixture or compound of elements having different properties which combines to create an effect, and this effect varies depending upon concentration of each element in a compound.

This is pretty convincing to me and I observe this to be actual reality. What you think about it?
Lacewing

Re: Multiple Minds within Mind

Post by Lacewing »

I think it makes sense that there are many aspects and facets to everything -- including what we consider our minds and souls.

We humans seem to get this idea of ownership and separation of ourselves (including our minds)... as if we are these complete little contained packages functioning within a Universe of "others". But nature continually demonstrates cross-over and lack of ownership -- rather, everything is part of a much larger system that flows and interacts without ego identification.

It makes sense to me that we EACH may not be individual "souls"... but rather, we may each be a collection of souls or energies, all animating the "form". The concept of "individual" is useful for the world of forms -- for organizing and moving "through" it. But when contemplating more spiritual perspectives, the concept of individual seems to be a gross distortion -- for self-serving purposes of judging and manipulating and self-glorification.

I think such individual identification in spiritual terms is as meaningless and contrived as it would be for drops of ocean water to become "self-aware" and claim to be distinct from other drops and from the ocean.
VVilliam

Post by VVilliam »

I agree that we may be multiples minds within a mind. The universe can be likened to a brain...there are similar visual references which are encountered in both micro and macro.

This idea lends itself well in support of Simulation Theory.

We might wonder then if we cannot willfully integrate our individual minds into each others and I think it likely we do, but habitually on a conscious level, we fail to recognize this as being the case...so most of this happens in the subconscious realm.

Perhaps the idea "I am a Mind within a Mind" - pursued - allows one to break through the barriers and explore more deeply as thought experiment - perhaps some of what can be explored is a product of individual minds which use the Overall Mind in which to create that which can be explored and experienced as 'alternate realities'.

Perhaps in this way, the Overall Mind acts as a mirror for us - and we can be either conscious of it [at varying degrees] or oblivious to it, as we each choose how to respond to such notion.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

the bishop of Cloyne is smiling...

-Imp
Greylorn Ell

Post by Greylorn Ell »

Lacewing wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:27 pm I think it makes sense that there are many aspects and facets to everything -- including what we consider our minds and souls.
Regarding your first sentence: What is it that does the considering?

Or for us who enjoyed westerns like The Lone Ranger and recall the tale about The Ranger, Tonto, and a band of Apaches, when the Ranger says, "Tonto, we seem to be surrounded by Indians," and his friend replies, "What you mean we, Kemosaby?"
SteveKlinko

Post by SteveKlinko »

Flora wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:24 pm It seems to me that considering many different minds within mind solve each and every problem related to understanding our consciousness.

I theorize or hypothesize mind as at least six different minds creating the phenomena called consciousness, however consciousness is too big a thing to be understood by just understanding mind.

All these minds work differently and are not identical to each other in processing the information. Their ways of processing information are different. Some minds are more involved in processing and some are less. For example, one part of mind is only involved in memorizing and not processing.

They watch each other, like they are in some conference sitting in front of each other and they have differences. They oppose and conclude differently. This is from where we get observer effect; a mind observing mind, or self observing self. This is where feeling of "self" is created.

Beliefs, ideas renders a part of mind becoming more powerful than other mind. Suppose our beliefs and ideas align more with a particular part of mind but not with other part of mind, then the part with which our beliefs and ideas align have greater control over our mind. But when our beliefs and values changes, then other part of mind may take over greater control. In this way we have different individuals with different personalities as their beliefs, ideas, experiences, values, education etc. are different. And when they change their beliefs, values etc., they become different personality.

We perceive things differently because we have different configurations of different minds. This is why our perception work differently.

Differences and similarities in our behaviour is because of difference and similarities in our beliefs, values, ideas, experience etc.

So, mind is like mixture or compound of elements having different properties which combines to create an effect, and this effect varies depending upon concentration of each element in a compound.

This is pretty convincing to me and I observe this to be actual reality. What you think about it?
But what specific task does each of your six Minds execute and how are the six Minds connected to each other?

TheInterMind.com recognizes three different Minds.
1) The Physical Mind
2) The Inter Mind
3 The Conscious Mind.

If you could locate your six Minds into the above three Minds how would distribute them and what would be the function of each of the six Minds?
VVilliam

Post by VVilliam »

The movie "Split" explores how minds can become the residence of personalities - not just one personality - and this is interesting in that we each most likely are made up of different personalities all sharing the same reality [physicals universe - earth specific] and responding to that in a number of different and sometimes opposing/conflicting manners.

The film explores this in drama form.

What I got from the storyline is that in order to become a whole personality, one has to somehow integrate these conflicting personalities under one rule as it were.

In the case of the film, the wannabe ruler over the group was referred to as 'The Beast" by the rest of the personalities which were fighting to keep the beast from ruling the roost but inevitably gave in to the higher wisdom of said beast because they could not otherwise sort themselves out as to who was the ruler of them all.

They main rulers over the other 22[so 24 altogether] personalities shared the job - one personality was feminine and the other masculine, and both were bullies who used the others knowledge of the beast in order to scare the others into compliance.

The others had all had bad experiences of the beast so knew the beast was real and capable, but eventually the two main personalities had to let the beast be the boss, because that was the only way in which they all could be united under the one personality. The Beasts.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Flora wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:24 pm It seems to me that considering many different minds within mind solve each and every problem related to understanding our consciousness.

Have you ever talked with your other mind?
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

It seems to me that 6 minds could just easily be 6 subdivisions of a single mind.
VVilliam

Post by VVilliam »

commonsense wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:12 pm It seems to me that 6 minds could just easily be 6 subdivisions of a single mind.
If so, there is no reason why six billion minds couldn't be subdivisions of a single mind...if say, you were some sort of a 'god'.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

VVilliam wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:58 am
commonsense wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:12 pm It seems to me that 6 minds could just easily be 6 subdivisions of a single mind.
If so, there is no reason why six billion minds couldn't be subdivisions of a single mind...if say, you were some sort of a 'god'.
That could be everyone’s condition, not just gods’.
VVilliam

Post by VVilliam »

commonsense wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:44 pm
VVilliam wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:58 am
That could be everyone’s condition, not just gods’.
xplain. [what am I, a mind reader!?]
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

I’m just saying that if there could be 6, there could be any number of subdivisions for everyone.
VVilliam

Post by VVilliam »

commonsense wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:45 pm I’m just saying that if there could be 6, there could be any number of subdivisions for everyone.
I would suppose so if the connection was both ways...

commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Yes