How are humans different with other species?

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

User avatar
RCSaunders
Posts: 2102
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:42 pm
Contact:

Re: How are humans different with other species?

Post by RCSaunders »

Age wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:23 am Now, if you REALLY WANT to discover and learn HOW and WHY your view of the word 'mind' is WRONG, then are you OPEN to the fact that it could be WRONG?
I've asked you twice now to just explain what is wrong with what I mean by mind. I'll ask you once more, just to be polite, but if you do not intend to answer the question I'll have to ignore anything else you have to say about it.

Don't tell me I'm not willing to consider other ideas. You haven't provided any to consider.
Age
Posts: 5113
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:17 am

Re: How are humans different with other species?

Post by Age »

RCSaunders wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:54 pm
Age wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:42 pm How many times do I have to repeat, I DO NOT BELIEVE ANY THING, before this most simple of sayings becomes understood?
It seems you may be confusing the word, "believe," with the word, "faith."
I am NOT confusing ANY thing, here.

When I say I do NOT believe any thing, then I MEAN I do NOT believe any thing.
RCSaunders wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:54 pm The two words are sometimes interchanged, but they are not synonyms.
I KNOW, and this is WHY I chose the actual words that I did, and do.
RCSaunders wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:54 pm In general English usage, what one, "believes," is what they honestly think or what they regard to be correct, and nothing more.
And, in general english usage, when one says that they believe some thing, then I will question them WHY believe some thing is true when it may not be true at all?

I will also point out that if what one "believes" is just "what they honestly 'think' is correct", or is just "what they regard to be correct", and nothing more, then it would be far better if they just said what they actually meant, and nothing more, instead of saying what they do NOT actually mean at all. I also point out that if they did this, then they would NOT cause as much confusion and/or conflict as they are.
RCSaunders wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:54 pm If you say you don't believe anything, to most English speakers, it means there is nothing you think is so or correct and that whatever you say, it is not what you really think or mean.
Well, if this is true, then most english speakers twist and distort what I ACTUALLY say, and MEAN, around to some thing, which is so NOT what I mean.

Why do 'you', majority of english speakers, twist what I say around to mean the EXACT OPPOSITE of what I actually say, and so actually mean.
RCSaunders wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:54 pm Now you may claim, like Belinda, that you don't know anything,
But WHY would I claim some thing that I do NOT even consider to be true?

By the way. I do NOT claim this. So, anything more you have to say would just be moot.
RCSaunders wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:54 pm but if you do claim to know something, in English, that is what you believe, what you think is so.
But this is completely and utterly WRONG, from my perspective. This is because I can VERY EASILY and VERY SIMPLY claim to KNOW some thing, AND, also say that this is NOT what I believe, which I have ALREADY DONE, by the way.

I CAN and DO claim this because of what the words 'know' and 'believe' actually mean, to me.
RCSaunders wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:54 pm Believe does not mean to simply accept something as so, it means whatever you regard as true or correct,
Is this an absolute True fact, or just what you regards as true or correct?

See, to me the word 'believe' does relate to 'believing' some as so, true, right, and/or correct'. I am not sure if you noticed just how closely related the words 'believe' and 'believing' were here. But if you did not notice, then maybe you can now.

To me if some one 'believes' some thing to be true or correct, or, 'regards' some thing to be true or correct, then they are two DIFFERENT things, which MEANS two DIFFERENT things. This is EVIDENCED and can be CLEARLY SEEN by the two DIFFERENT words 'believe' and 'accept'.
RCSaunders wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:54 pm however you arrived at that conclusion.
By this, are you saying that I arrived at the same conclusion? Or, are you wondering what way I arrived at that conclusion?

By the way, the very reason I do NOT believe ANY thing to be true or correct, nor regard any thing to be true or correct (in the sense that it IS true or correct) is because if I were to do this, then I would NOT be OPEN to ANY thing else but that. And, OBVIOUSLY if and when one is NOT open, then they are CLOSED.
RCSaunders wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:54 pm So, if you insist you do not believe anything, it means there is nothing you regard as true or correct.
If this is what you BELIEVE is true or correct, then so be it.

But, just remember, what you BELIEVE is true or correct, then this does NOT make 'it', necessarily, true, nor correct.
Age
Posts: 5113
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:17 am

Re: How are humans different with other species?

Post by Age »

RCSaunders wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:42 am
Age wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:23 am Now, if you REALLY WANT to discover and learn HOW and WHY your view of the word 'mind' is WRONG, then are you OPEN to the fact that it could be WRONG?
I've asked you twice now to just explain what is wrong with what I mean by mind.
And at least twice now I have asked you CLARIFY QUESTIONS. If you do NOT CLARIFY what you are actually asking and/or actually meaning, then do NOT expect me to write and say anything more.
RCSaunders wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:42 am I'll ask you once more, just to be polite, but if you do not intend to answer the question I'll have to ignore anything else you have to say about it.
But you have NEVER asked me ever, let alone twice, let alone once, to ask me "once more" to just explain what is wrong with what you mean by 'mind'.

What actually happened and occurred is you stated two things.

One was: If you think there is something wrong with my view, just say what it is. I'd really like to know, so don't be so defensive.

And,

The other was: I don't suppose you'd care to explain what's wrong with it.

So, what can be CLEARLY SEEN and PROVEN true is you have NOT asked me ever to explain what is wrong with what you mean by the word 'mind'.
RCSaunders wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:42 am Don't tell me I'm not willing to consider other ideas. You haven't provided any to consider.
Did I EVER tell you that you are not willing to consider other ideas?

In fact have I EVER imply that you are not willing to consider other ideas?

If yes to either or both of these CLARIFYING QUESTIONS, then will you SHOW me where I have allegedly done this?

If you will not, then WHY NOT?

But, If I NEVER told you that NOR even implied that, then WHY did you write what you did here?

I have NOT provided ANY thing for you to consider, YET, because you have NOT SHOWN that you are OPEN to the fact that what you wrote could be WRONG. And, if you do NOT SHOW that you are OPEN to this fact, then I could NOT be bothered explaining any thing further here.
User avatar
RCSaunders
Posts: 2102
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:42 pm
Contact:

Re: How are humans different with other species?

Post by RCSaunders »

Age wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:26 am
RCSaunders wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:42 am
Age wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:23 am Now, if you REALLY WANT to discover and learn HOW and WHY your view of the word 'mind' is WRONG, then are you OPEN to the fact that it could be WRONG?
I've asked you twice now to just explain what is wrong with what I mean by mind.
And at least twice now I have asked you CLARIFY QUESTIONS. If you do NOT CLARIFY what you are actually asking and/or actually meaning, then do NOT expect me to write and say anything more.
RCSaunders wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:42 am I'll ask you once more, just to be polite, but if you do not intend to answer the question I'll have to ignore anything else you have to say about it.
But you have NEVER asked me ever, let alone twice, let alone once, to ask me "once more" to just explain what is wrong with what you mean by 'mind'.

What actually happened and occurred is you stated two things.

One was: If you think there is something wrong with my view, just say what it is. I'd really like to know, so don't be so defensive.

And,

The other was: I don't suppose you'd care to explain what's wrong with it.

So, what can be CLEARLY SEEN and PROVEN true is you have NOT asked me ever to explain what is wrong with what you mean by the word 'mind'.
RCSaunders wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:42 am Don't tell me I'm not willing to consider other ideas. You haven't provided any to consider.
Did I EVER tell you that you are not willing to consider other ideas?

In fact have I EVER imply that you are not willing to consider other ideas?

If yes to either or both of these CLARIFYING QUESTIONS, then will you SHOW me where I have allegedly done this?

If you will not, then WHY NOT?

But, If I NEVER told you that NOR even implied that, then WHY did you write what you did here?

I have NOT provided ANY thing for you to consider, YET, because you have NOT SHOWN that you are OPEN to the fact that what you wrote could be WRONG. And, if you do NOT SHOW that you are OPEN to this fact, then I could NOT be bothered explaining any thing further here.
Suit yourself. You obviously have no idea what, "mind," is.
Age
Posts: 5113
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:17 am

Re: How are humans different with other species?

Post by Age »

RCSaunders wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:55 am
Age wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:26 am
RCSaunders wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:42 am
I've asked you twice now to just explain what is wrong with what I mean by mind.
And at least twice now I have asked you CLARIFY QUESTIONS. If you do NOT CLARIFY what you are actually asking and/or actually meaning, then do NOT expect me to write and say anything more.
RCSaunders wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:42 am I'll ask you once more, just to be polite, but if you do not intend to answer the question I'll have to ignore anything else you have to say about it.
But you have NEVER asked me ever, let alone twice, let alone once, to ask me "once more" to just explain what is wrong with what you mean by 'mind'.

What actually happened and occurred is you stated two things.

One was: If you think there is something wrong with my view, just say what it is. I'd really like to know, so don't be so defensive.

And,

The other was: I don't suppose you'd care to explain what's wrong with it.

So, what can be CLEARLY SEEN and PROVEN true is you have NOT asked me ever to explain what is wrong with what you mean by the word 'mind'.
RCSaunders wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:42 am Don't tell me I'm not willing to consider other ideas. You haven't provided any to consider.
Did I EVER tell you that you are not willing to consider other ideas?

In fact have I EVER imply that you are not willing to consider other ideas?

If yes to either or both of these CLARIFYING QUESTIONS, then will you SHOW me where I have allegedly done this?

If you will not, then WHY NOT?

But, If I NEVER told you that NOR even implied that, then WHY did you write what you did here?

I have NOT provided ANY thing for you to consider, YET, because you have NOT SHOWN that you are OPEN to the fact that what you wrote could be WRONG. And, if you do NOT SHOW that you are OPEN to this fact, then I could NOT be bothered explaining any thing further here.
Suit yourself. You obviously have no idea what, "mind," is.
And that conclusion, which you have OBVIOUSLY 'JUMPED TO', is based on 'what', EXACTLY?
User avatar
RCSaunders
Posts: 2102
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:42 pm
Contact:

Re: How are humans different with other species?

Post by RCSaunders »

Age wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:17 pm Suit yourself. You obviously have no idea what, "mind," is.
And that conclusion, which you have OBVIOUSLY 'JUMPED TO', is based on 'what', EXACTLY?
[/quote]
Your refusal to say what you mean by mind.
Age
Posts: 5113
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:17 am

Re: How are humans different with other species?

Post by Age »

RCSaunders wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:07 pm
Age wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:17 pm Suit yourself. You obviously have no idea what, "mind," is.
And that conclusion, which you have OBVIOUSLY 'JUMPED TO', is based on 'what', EXACTLY?
Your refusal to say what you mean by mind.
[/quote]

Ah okay. So to you because someone chooses not to explain some thing to "another" UNTIL the "other" clarifies some things FIRST, then you just make ASSUMPTIONS and JUMP TO CONCLUSIONS based SOLELY on ANOTHER ASSUMPTION of yours, which, by the way, is just plain WRONG from the outset anyway.

For your information, I have ALREADY previously, here in this forum, said what I mean by 'Mind'. I am just waiting for clarification from you BEFORE I did this again, for you, in this thread.
User avatar
RCSaunders
Posts: 2102
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:42 pm
Contact:

Re: How are humans different with other species?

Post by RCSaunders »

Age wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:19 am For your information, I have ALREADY previously, here in this forum, said what I mean by 'Mind'.
Just provide a link.
Age
Posts: 5113
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:17 am

Re: How are humans different with other species?

Post by Age »

RCSaunders wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:53 pm
Age wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:19 am For your information, I have ALREADY previously, here in this forum, said what I mean by 'Mind'.
Just provide a link.
I have been here, in this forum, for over two years so it might take me a while to find it. But, I am NOT going to provide the link for you until you answer my clarifying questions asked to you first anyway.

Do you believe what you wrote about the 'mind' true or correct?
User avatar
RCSaunders
Posts: 2102
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:42 pm
Contact:

Re: How are humans different with other species?

Post by RCSaunders »

Age wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:02 pm
RCSaunders wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:53 pm
Age wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:19 am For your information, I have ALREADY previously, here in this forum, said what I mean by 'Mind'.
Just provide a link.
I have been here, in this forum, for over two years so it might take me a while to find it. But, I am NOT going to provide the link for you until you answer my clarifying questions asked to you first anyway.

Do you believe what you wrote about the 'mind' true or correct?
Well, then, don't! It doesn't really matter.
Age
Posts: 5113
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:17 am

Re: How are humans different with other species?

Post by Age »

RCSaunders wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:58 am
Age wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:02 pm
RCSaunders wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:53 pm
Just provide a link.
I have been here, in this forum, for over two years so it might take me a while to find it. But, I am NOT going to provide the link for you until you answer my clarifying questions asked to you first anyway.

Do you believe what you wrote about the 'mind' true or correct?
Well, then, don't! It doesn't really matter.
EXACTLY.
Post Reply