The duty of the brain is to provide inputs to the mind

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

bahman

Re: The duty of the brain is to provide inputs to the mind

Post by bahman »

gaffo wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:23 am
bahman wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:10 am
gaffo wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:06 am

i thank you for the reply, but you cannot prove that you exist. and i see no point in the exercise, i welcome general discussion, and i welcome discussion with you about all things - i like cats BTW, but the whole Solipsism thing is clear. and its as i state above.

i thank you for your reply - i got dickish with the black panther (maybe dickish with myself? - did not like his flippant reply - and I'm not a Christian to turn the other cheek, i am more Judiac and return the insult - in proportion (but i suspect i returned it a little moreso than proper, i could blaime it on 8 beers but won't) - lol....though i did, lol

again i thank you for your reply and interest in Solipsism (though the latter really only offers an extremly limited Truth, and nothing more).

sadly.
To prove conscious mind I start from the fact that change exists. Consider a change A to B. A and B cannot lay on one point therefore A has to vanishes before B takes place. You however have nothing when A vanishes and you cannot possibly have B out of nothing. Therefore, there should be a conscious mind that experience A and causes B.

Up to here I prove that there is at least one conscious mind since change exists. To argue in favor of two minds, I first bring your attention to the change that you cause, so there is one conscious mind, you. There are however changes that you are not consciously responsible for them. Therefore, there is at least one conscious mind except you.
what you say simply is not true per Solipism.

your Change, requires not only the concept of Time (i have that!) - but the proove of it!

and you cannot prove Time exists.

Solipism = I exist (not you), right NOW.

nothing more.

to affirm that there is Change is to affirm that I view the Time as real - not just the concept if it.

and empirically i cannot do so.

it really that simple.

thanks for reply - even if i may be talking to myself, though hope not (BTW Hope cannot be proved empirically either - lol).
Even time exists. I have an argument for that. Without time no change was possible.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

bahman wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:02 pm
bahman wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:10 am
To prove conscious mind I start from the fact that change exists. Consider a change A to B. A and B cannot lay on one point therefore A has to vanishes before B takes place. You however have nothing when A vanishes and you cannot possibly have B out of nothing. Therefore, there should be a conscious mind that experience A and causes B.

Up to here I prove that there is at least one conscious mind since change exists. To argue in favor of two minds, I first bring your attention to the change that you cause, so there is one conscious mind, you. There are however changes that you are not consciously responsible for them. Therefore, there is at least one conscious mind except you.

your Change, requires not only the concept of Time (i have that!) - but the proove of it!

nothing more.

to affirm that there is Change is to affirm that I view the Time as real - not just the concept if it.

it really that simple.

thanks for reply - even if i may be talking to myself, though hope not (BTW Hope cannot be proved empirically either - lol).
Even time exists. I have an argument for that. Without time no change was possible.
i see no argument. Time is Change is movement.

all three are the same and not proveable to actually exist as external concrete thing(s).

why am i still talking to myself?
bahman

Post by bahman »

gaffo wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:19 pm

nothing more.

it really that simple.

all three are the same and not proveable to actually exist as external concrete thing(s).

Here is the argument: Cosnider a change A to B. A and B cannot lay on the same point therefore they lay on different points of a variable. There must be however a duration to go from A to B otherwise change never takes place. This variable is called time.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

bahman wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:21 pm

Here is the argument: Cosnider a change A to B. A and B cannot lay on the same point therefore they lay on different points of a variable. There must be however a duration to go from A to B otherwise change never takes place. This variable is called time.
thanks for the clear and concise point you wished to convey.

you say:

"A and B cannot lay on the same point therefore they lay on different points of a variable" WRT to the concept of Time - i.e. that there is such a thing and so the "arrow of time" likewise assumes there is the past and the future, the former known the latter not knowable - that is the conventional thought - yes?

per solipism, there is not such thing a the above - those things time, past, change - etc, all of them are concepts (even constructs to give the illusion of something outside of "this now/me exist" - and maybe it does exist, but i do not assume so.

YES I affirm the concept of Time, and the past and the future, but i only KNOW I AM now - nothing more, and so i do not know Time nor the Past ever actually exists/ed - just that i know i have a concept of these things - right now via my consciensness.

Time/change as a real thing? no that you can never prove to me. i take time as i take you - via faith, not evidence.

thanks for reply.
bahman

Post by bahman »

gaffo wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:44 am
bahman wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:21 pm

thanks for the clear and concise point you wished to convey.

you say:

"A and B cannot lay on the same point therefore they lay on different points of a variable" WRT to the concept of Time - i.e. that there is such a thing and so the "arrow of time" likewise assumes there is the past and the future, the former known the latter not knowable - that is the conventional thought - yes?

per solipism, there is not such thing a the above - those things time, past, change - etc, all of them are concepts (even constructs to give the illusion of something outside of "this now/me exist" - and maybe it does exist, but i do not assume so.

YES I affirm the concept of Time, and the past and the future, but i only KNOW I AM now - nothing more, and so i do not know Time nor the Past ever actually exists/ed - just that i know i have a concept of these things - right now via my consciensness.

Time/change as a real thing? no that you can never prove to me. i take time as i take you - via faith, not evidence.

thanks for reply.
I argue in favor of time, which is necessary outherwise there could be no change.
HarleenEL

Post by HarleenEL »

There are so many philosophical and scientifically opinions about this subject that the more you read the more you become more confused. I have read some books and articles on this topic and similar, Yoga, Zen, Philosophy, Psychology, etc. I am sure all of you came across similar pieces of information about mind, brain and their connections. Recently, I came across a new very interesting concept "mind connectivity". In encourage you to have a look for yourself, because among other interesting information you can find the relation between mind connectivity and brain connectivity.
bahman

Post by bahman »

HarleenEL wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:15 pm There are so many philosophical and scientifically opinions about this subject that the more you read the more you become more confused. I have read some books and articles on this topic and similar, Yoga, Zen, Philosophy, Psychology, etc. I am sure all of you came across similar pieces of information about mind, brain and their connections. Recently, I came across a new very interesting concept "mind connectivity". In encourage you to have a look for yourself, because among other interesting information you can find the relation between mind connectivity and brain connectivity.
Oh, thanks. Could you provide the address of any book or articles?
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

bahman wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:32 pm The duty of the brain is to provide inputs to the mind. We experience everything. Experience, however, is codded differently for each mind.
But is the Cod battered?
bahman

Post by bahman »

Sculptor wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:36 pm
bahman wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:32 pm The duty of the brain is to provide inputs to the mind. We experience everything. Experience, however, is codded differently for each mind.
But is the Cod battered?
What do you mean?
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

bahman wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:39 pm
But is the Cod battered?
What do you mean?
You said experience was codded
bahman

Post by bahman »

Sculptor wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:41 pm

But is the Cod battered?
What do you mean?
So?
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

bahman wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:43 pm
What do you mean?
So?
I thought it was a red herring.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Sculptor wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:44 pm

So?
He never tumbled. You are so droll. Is that a snook?
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

RCSaunders wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 1:50 am
So?
Are you saying I'm being cocky?
We have cocking snooks in the UK, but I never knew it was piscine, but I thought something was fishy around here so I looked it up - or was that hooked it up?

Do you think he'll ever tumble?
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Sculptor wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 10:36 am
RCSaunders wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 1:50 am

Are you saying I'm being cocky?
We have cocking snooks in the UK, but I never knew it was piscine, but I thought something was fishy around here so I looked it up - or was that hooked it up?

Do you think he'll ever tumble?
Unlikely! I doubt he'd understand the difference between a piece of cod and a codpiece.