Exploring The Human Conscious Light Screen

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

uwot

Re: Exploring The Human Conscious Light Screen

Post by uwot »

Skepdick wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:52 pmMy point is that the category of "mediums" or "fields" is conceptual. Platonic if you will.
Oh categories. Yeah, they're conceptual.
Skepdick wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:52 pmMany things can fulfil (realize) the function of a medium/field in practice.
True, I just happen to think that a medium/field is a pretty good contender.
Skepdick wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:52 pmIf that sounds like you understanding of instrumentalism then we agree.
Whodda thunk? This calls for a beer.
uwot

Post by uwot »

Impenitent wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:50 pm is hitting on Higgs more effective than exploding Aether?

-Imp
Haven't tried hitting on Higgs; not really my type. Still, in the interest of science, I'll give it a go next time I visit my daughter at Edinburgh University.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

SteveKlinko wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:41 pm But to say it is our Visual Experience implies that there is an Observer also. I think this question of how to reconcile the Observer and the Observed is still one of the unknowns of Consciousness.
The confusion and the obvious stumbling block to understanding the true nature of consciousness is in the word ''UNKNOWN''

For there is no such concept in reality whatsoever as an UNKNOWN - In reality, a known is always a known and NOT an unknown. A known can never not be a known as in be an unknown, for there is no such thing as an unknown anything. So the concept UNKNOWN is very misleading and totally meaningless when it comes to it's artificially contrived conceptual meaning.

Consciousness IS not an unknown, consciousness IS ...the knowing of which is self-evident in the experience itself. AND that's ALL that can be known about consciousness. There is nothing else to be KNOWN ..Everything else is just ink on paper, which is already this all inclusive story couched within the consciousness we are trying to understand, the story is the experience inseparable from the conscious experience of consciousness itself. So trying to separate the ink from the paper, or the story from the book is like light trying to shine on itself..it doesn't need to ..nor is it even possible.

There is no 'I am conscious' in consciousness.

No, there is just consciousness.

Asking questions about consciousness itself is dualistic thinking which imposes a barrier that is NOT there - any barrier is just another illusory appearance within consciousness itself which is ALL there IS - searching for truth is denying it. Searching for one is a continual denial of the realisation that one is all there is.

SteveKlinko

Post by SteveKlinko »

Dontaskme wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:15 pm
SteveKlinko wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:41 pm But to say it is our Visual Experience implies that there is an Observer also. I think this question of how to reconcile the Observer and the Observed is still one of the unknowns of Consciousness.
The confusion and the obvious stumbling block to understanding the true nature of consciousness is in the word ''UNKNOWN''

For there is no such concept in reality whatsoever as an UNKNOWN - In reality, a known is always a known and NOT an unknown. A known can never not be a known as in be an unknown, for there is no such thing as an unknown anything. So the concept UNKNOWN is very misleading and totally meaningless when it comes to it's artificially contrived conceptual meaning.

Consciousness IS not an unknown, consciousness IS ...the knowing of which is self-evident in the experience itself. AND that's ALL that can be known about consciousness. There is nothing else to be KNOWN ..Everything else is just ink on paper, which is already this all inclusive story couched within the consciousness we are trying to understand, the story is the experience inseparable from the conscious experience of consciousness itself. So trying to separate the ink from the paper, or the story from the book is like light trying to shine on itself..it doesn't need to ..nor is it even possible.

There is no 'I am conscious' in consciousness.

No, there is just consciousness.

Asking questions about consciousness itself is dualistic thinking which imposes a barrier that is NOT there - any barrier is just another illusory appearance within consciousness itself which is ALL there IS - searching for truth is denying it. Searching for one is a continual denial of the realisation that one is all there is.

Thank you for bringing this thread back to Consciousness.

But in my reality there certainly are unknowns, and lots of them.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

SteveKlinko wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:14 pm

Like what?

Can you name any of these unknowns?
SteveKlinko

Post by SteveKlinko »

Dontaskme wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:26 am

Like what?

What are You?
I sure don't know what I am.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

SteveKlinko wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:41 pm

Like what?

What are You?
There is no You.

If there is a you then that is known. Knowing you don’t know is still a known, not an unknown.
SteveKlinko

Post by SteveKlinko »

Dontaskme wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:40 pm
SteveKlinko wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:41 pm

Like what?

What are You?
There is no You.

If there is a you then that is known. Knowing you don’t know is still a known, not an unknown.
If there is no Me then that must be that Oneness thing again.
Still working on that.