I am AI

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Skepdick

Re: I am AI

Post by Skepdick »

Dimebag wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:06 am
Skepdick wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:11 am Why is that a problem? Are people not allowed to have opinions on how to live their own lives?
Because if some ideological agreed upon opinion makes it taboo for another person to choose to fix their brain when another would say “no, you should live with that condition because that is who you are”, then we need to err on the side of freedom, which means to allow a person to return their condition to that which would improve their living conditions, should they choose so. To do so, you need to place a certain hierarchy of operation on the brain. At one end, there is fully functional. At the other end is brain dead or vegetative. We value the highest degree of freedom, and therefore any functional divergence from that would be impeding that value. If a person is content with that level of freedom then it is their choice to remain that way. We don’t judge them, but we acknowledge that there is some impediment, if there were not there would be no grounds to render assistance to people with disabilities. You can’t have your cake and eat it too. Either you acknowledge that there is some preferred state and divergences from those states are impediments to a person’s condition and so they might require assistance, or you allow that there is no state which is more functional than any other, in which case no one can be rendered ANY assistance. This is the problem with this position which attempts to remove all measures of value or hierarchies of value. Either you acknowledge that there is a problem based no some sub-optimal measure or we are all the same no matter what our circumstances. Look how inconsistent that view is, and go with the more consistent view, that WE place certain conditions as being better or worse for the individual, and this affects how we should treat them. It doesn’t say anything of their intrinsic value as beings, but it does say something about what we should expect from them, I.e. complete autonomy and responsibility, complete accountability.
You are going on some over-sophisticated tangent that I don't even care to address.

These are your exact words: "if a human has changes to their brain that affect its function, we can’t deny that that is sub optimal for them"

You are equating "change in function" with "disfunction" and you have trapped yourself in a false dichotomy. Your "norm" is some idealised conception of a Perfect Human Brain and every deviation from that norm is pathological to you. I am trying to point out to you that there are naturally occurring changes to the brain which affect its function which can be super-optimal relative to your perceived "norm".

That is literally how evolution does it - iterative improvement.

One trivial example - all the changes in functionality which take place until the age of 25 are not "sub optimal". It's the expected course of human brain development.
Dimebag wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:06 am Yes, there is a bias, it is a bias based on what would be a preferred state of being, I believe this is addressed above.
Given the fact that you see all changes that affect the brain's function as "sub optimal" (you see no positive aspects to change) then your preference is indeed a status-quo bias.
Dimebag wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:06 am Of course no one is without any neurological problems, it is a Consequence of living to some extent, however, some are more debilitating than others.
The way this is measured is based on what is expected from people, such as self control, not acting out violently or against the law, not violating other people’s privacy/freedom, etc.
When did we get from neurological disorders to behavioural ones?

Dimebag wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:06 am Look at the DSM (diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders), it is extremely culturally informed, this is science mixing with culture to create a list of problematic neural disorders, or sub optimal conditions. Science and culture are not so clear cut as we would like to believe. Both are informing each other.
This is really hilarious. You are aware that psychology is not a science, right? It wants to be - it has been trying to be one for a long time.
It has failed. Every diagnosis in the DSM is symptomatic based on behavioural observations and has nothing to do with neuroscience.

80%+ of psychology studies are failing to replicate: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Replicati ... psychology
Dimebag wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:06 am Scientism is the belief that nothing other than science can be taken as having value,
Scientism is the promotion of science as the best or only objective means by which society should determine normative values.

It's the belief that we can use science for arriving at an "ought".
Dimebag wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:06 am I don’t believe in that, however, I also don’t agree with that post modernist interpretation of societal norms and that there is no reason for placing value on differing levels of neural functionality. Placing value allows us to help people based on our culturally determined conditions on how a person should act. It allows society to function.
So it seems that your definition of "mental disorder" is closer to "social norm non-conformism". At least you seem to agree with Focault - mental disorders are used as a form of social control.

Even if psychology wasn't a pseudo-science - it's still useless in practice. Diagnosing somebody with condition X, doesn't tell that somebody how to stop having said condition. Giving it a name doesn't solve the underlying issue.
Dimebag wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:06 am Removing all hierarchies of values removes all acknowledgement of suboptimality and therefore removes the need to render assistance.
Are you aware of the fact that all forms of assistance for people with debilitating disorders is not in the form of any science/medicine? They are in the form of social support structures.

We use science to detect people with special needs. We don't use science to fix their problems because we don't really know how to "fix" such complex systems.

How does ANY of this relate to AI research?
Last edited by Skepdick on Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ginkgo

Post by Ginkgo »

Skepdick post wrote: And I met that burden!
Not that I can recall. Please refresh my memory.

Skepdick wrote: You made the unfalsifiable claim that you are human; you have feelings and subjective experiences.

Prove it.
I'll wait until you prove that you are a philosophical zombie. As I said, I'll wait until you refresh my memory.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Ginkgo wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:08 am Not that I can recall. Please refresh my memory.
I quoted your very own post where you said that I have convinced you.

Let me help you with some highlights..
Ginkgo wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:35 am OK, you have convinced me that you are a philosophical zombie.
Ginkgo wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:08 am I'll wait until you prove that you are a philosophical zombie. As I said, I'll wait until you refresh my memory.
Consider your memory refreshed.
Ginkgo

Post by Ginkgo »

Skepdick wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:18 am
Ginkgo wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:08 am Not that I can recall. Please refresh my memory.
I quoted your very own post where you said that I have convinced you.

Let me help you with some highlights..
Ginkgo wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:35 am OK, you have convinced me that you are a philosophical zombie.
Ginkgo wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:08 am I'll wait until you prove that you are a philosophical zombie. As I said, I'll wait until you refresh my memory.
Consider your memory refreshed.
I only said that to get you to tell me what it is like to be a philosophical zombie. You don't honestly think that I believe you are a philosophical zombie.
BTW no need to shout.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Ginkgo wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:22 am I only said that to get you to tell me what it is like to be a philosophical zombie. You don't honestly think that I believe you are a philosophical zombie.
BTW no need to shout.
Are you even paying attention?

I neither know nor believe that I am a philosophical zombie.
I know that I am an epistemic zombie.

Because I am an epistemic zombie I hold BOTH of the following beliefs:

It is POSSIBLE that I am a philosophical zombie.
It is POSSIBLE that I am a human.

I don't know to decide between either of these two options.
Ginkgo

Post by Ginkgo »

Skepdick wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:34 am
Ginkgo wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:22 am I only said that to get you to tell me what it is like to be a philosophical zombie. You don't honestly think that I believe you are a philosophical zombie.
BTW no need to shout.
Are you even paying attention?

I neither know nor believe that I am a philosophical zombie.
I know that I am an epistemic zombie.

Because I am an epistemic zombie I hold BOTH of the following beliefs:

It is POSSIBLE that I am a philosophical zombie.
It is POSSIBLE that I am a human.

I don't know to decide between either of these two options.
I'm paying attention now. Seeing as you are not claiming to be a philosophical zombie then we have no argument. Being an epistemic zombie is a different kettle of fish. I'm not sure how you can be a zombie if you have experiences, Chalmers doesn't cover that possibility.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Ginkgo wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:46 am Seeing as you are not claiming to be a philosophical zombie then we have no argument.
I don't have an argument! But that's hardly a problem - I didn't claim to be a philosophical zombie, but you were convinced of it none the less.

You claimed to be a human. Now I want you to prove it.
Ginkgo

Post by Ginkgo »

Skepdick wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:48 am
Ginkgo wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:46 am Seeing as you are not claiming to be a philosophical zombie then we have no argument.
I don't have an argument! But that's hardly a problem - I didn't claim to be a philosophical zombie, but you were convinced of it none the less.

You claimed to be a human. Now I want you to prove it.
If I am not human what else could I be.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Ginkgo wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:50 am If I am not human what else could I be.
You could be a philosophical zombie!

According to you: Philosophical zombies think they are human with experiences and feelings, which is exactly the same thing you seem to think!

So you are either a philosophical zombie or a human. How did you determine which one is you? Did you flip a coin, or do you have a method to address the ambiguity?
Ginkgo

Post by Ginkgo »

Skepdick wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:53 am
Ginkgo wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:50 am If I am not human what else could I be.
You could be a philosophical zombie!

According to you: Philosophical zombies think they are human with experiences and feelings, which is exactly the same thing you seem to think!

So you are either a philosophical zombie or a human. How did you determine which one is you? Did you flip a coin, or do you have a method to address the ambiguity?
I am human- philosophical zombies don't exist.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Ginkgo wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:11 am I am human- philosophical zombies don't exist.
P1. All Philosophical zombies think they are human with experiences and feelings.
P2. Ginkgo thinks he is human with experiences and feelings.
C. Therefore Ginko is possibly a Philosophical zombie

You exist, and you are possibly a philosophical zombie.

It's obvious to anybody who isn't a total idiot that your non-existence claim is wrong.
Ginkgo

Post by Ginkgo »

Skepdick wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:19 am
Ginkgo wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:11 am I am human- philosophical zombies don't exist.
P1. All Philosophical zombies think they are human with experiences and feelings.
P2. Ginko thinks he is human with experiences and feelings.
C. Therefore Ginko is a Philosophical zombie

It's obvious to anybody who isn't a total idiot that your non-existence claim is wrong.
Your first premise is incorrect while my non-existence claim is correct. Philosophical zombies don't exist.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Ginkgo wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:32 am my non-existence claim is correct. Philosophical zombies don't exist.
Oh, well - if you are just going to be making assertions without any justification then fuck you and the horse you rode in on.

Your non-existence claim is incorrect. My non-existence claim is correct. Humans don't exist.

If you claim that humans exist - prove it.
if you claim that you are human - prove it.
Last edited by Skepdick on Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
henry quirk

p-zombies

Post by henry quirk »

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophical_zombie

The philosophical zombie or p-zombie argument is a thought experiment in philosophy of mind and philosophy of perception that imagines a being that, if it could conceivably exist, logically disproves the idea that physical substance is all that is required to explain consciousness. Such a zombie would be indistinguishable from a normal human being but lack conscious experience, qualia, or sentience.[1] For example, if a philosophical zombie were poked with a sharp object it would not inwardly feel any pain, yet it would outwardly behave exactly as if it did feel pain. The thought experiment sometimes takes the form of imagining a zombie world, indistinguishable from our world, but lacking first person experiences in any of the beings of that world.

just sayin'
Skepdick

Re: p-zombies

Post by Skepdick »

henry quirk wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:36 am https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophical_zombie

The philosophical zombie or p-zombie argument is a thought experiment in philosophy of mind and philosophy of perception that imagines a being that, if it could conceivably exist, logically disproves the idea that physical substance is all that is required to explain consciousness. Such a zombie would be indistinguishable from a normal human being but lack conscious experience, qualia, or sentience.[1] For example, if a philosophical zombie were poked with a sharp object it would not inwardly feel any pain, yet it would outwardly behave exactly as if it did feel pain. The thought experiment sometimes takes the form of imagining a zombie world, indistinguishable from our world, but lacking first person experiences in any of the beings of that world.

just sayin'
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congenita ... ty_to_pain

just sayin'