Our Natural Eternal Consciousness: A Timeless Remnant in the Disembodied Mind

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

BigQuestioner

Re: Our Natural Eternal Consciousness: A Timeless Remnant in the Disembodied Mind

Post by BigQuestioner »

Arising_uk wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:06 pm So what substrate are you proposing this last experience is running on given the substrate it was running on is now non-functional?
It is not running on any substrate. The term "running" implies a time span (i.e., it takes time to run), but the NEC is timeless. The NEC is a "snapshot" of an experience at a point in time, i.e., a conscious moment, followed only be timelessness. There will just never be another such moment to indicate to the dying person that the experience is over. The timelessness is just like the timelessness of dreamless sleep or that of general anesthesia. Within this timelessness, the moment of death is never perceived, and therefore from the perspective of the dying person the experience is never over. The NEC is admittedly an illusion--very real to the dying person but not to the living, i.e., it is not real in a material sense.

I recommend that you read the referenced article if you haven't already.

Re: Our Natural Eternal Consciousness: A Timeless Remnant in the Disembodied Mind

Post by Age »

BigQuestioner wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:52 pm
Arising_uk wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:06 pm So what substrate are you proposing this last experience is running on given the substrate it was running on is now non-functional?
It is not running on any substrate. The term "running" implies a time span (i.e., it takes time to run), but the NEC is timeless. The NEC is a "snapshot" of an experience at a point in time, i.e., a conscious moment, followed only be timelessness.
Correct me if I am wrong "arising_uk" but I think the term "running" was not what was really being questioned here. The term 'substrate'was.

If there is NO 'substrate', then there is NO conscious moment. And, if there is NO conscious moment, then there is also NO timelessness.

When the substrate, which is just the conscious, is ended, then so to the conscious moment is ended as well. If there is no thing existing, for example; consciousness, then there is no timelessness.
BigQuestioner wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:52 pmThere will just never be another such moment to indicate to the dying person that the experience is over.
There will also never be that "person" either to indicate that there even was an experience.

The timelessness is just like the timelessness of dreamless sleep or that of general anesthesia. Within this timelessness, the moment of death is never perceived, and therefore from the perspective of the dying person the experience is never over.[/quote]

Except for the fact that there is now NO functional person.
If there is NO functional person, then there is NO perspective at all.
If there is NO perspective, then there is NO experience.
Therefore, the experience is over, and out, and thus not timeless.

There obviously has to be a final or last experience. Now if you want to make it known that to a "living" person their last experience is 'timeless', then what is the purpose of sharing this knowledge?

What impact will it have on humanity?
BigQuestioner wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:52 pm The NEC is admittedly an illusion--very real to the dying person but not to the living, i.e., it is not real in a material sense.
When you speak of a "dying person", what is the timeframe which you are speaking of? Or, in other words, how long does a "dying person" last or exist for?
BigQuestioner wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:52 pmI recommend that you read the referenced article if you haven't already.
Consciousness IS obviously natural AND eternal anyway. This stands without questioning. But what you are proposing just does NOT explain it. If anything, what you are saying is defeating the actual message you are 'trying to'get across.
BigQuestioner

Post by BigQuestioner »

Age is obviously trying to continue the dialog with me that I shut down. I did so because Age's comments continued to show his/her ignorance regarding the NEC and Age's refusal to read the referenced article in order to educate him/her self. The article clearly points out that the existence of the NEC actually depends on the fact that there is no material person, and thus no substrates, after death.