Emphasizing the Connection Perspective

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Lacewing

Re: Emphasizing the Connection Perspective

Post by Lacewing »

SteveKlinko wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:11 pm
Lacewing wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:32 pm
SteveKlinko wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:42 pm
Based on the experiences and awareness of people all throughout human history, consciousness and awareness appear to span across more than the human/physical/mind state, yet are still very much impacted and limited by the human/physical state. As if the physical state is a radio receiver/transmitter with intermittent connections/reception to a broadcasting network. Therefore, we are examining the "radios" in trying to understand the "broadcast". ???
It's a good analogy as long as you know that it is not really Radio Waves but rather some kind of Conscious Phenomenon that Science does not understand yet.
Yes! That was an interesting example to try out. :-) It would seem that there are many frequencies that we humans are unaware of, although we may actually be receiving and/or transmitting on some of them. We tend to look at the "physical/material" for stable identification and control, rather than seeing the physical/material as a mechanism or structure for the processing and form of much broader energy. Instead of imagining that we can know the Universe (which seems impossible from such a limited state), maybe we could be more efficient to the network by upgrading our "mechanism/structure/radio" with updates. :)
SteveKlinko

Post by SteveKlinko »

Lacewing wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:08 am
SteveKlinko wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:11 pm
Lacewing wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:32 pm
Based on the experiences and awareness of people all throughout human history, consciousness and awareness appear to span across more than the human/physical/mind state, yet are still very much impacted and limited by the human/physical state. As if the physical state is a radio receiver/transmitter with intermittent connections/reception to a broadcasting network. Therefore, we are examining the "radios" in trying to understand the "broadcast". ???
It's a good analogy as long as you know that it is not really Radio Waves but rather some kind of Conscious Phenomenon that Science does not understand yet.
Yes! That was an interesting example to try out. :-) It would seem that there are many frequencies that we humans are unaware of, although we may actually be receiving and/or transmitting on some of them. We tend to look at the "physical/material" for stable identification and control, rather than seeing the physical/material as a mechanism or structure for the processing and form of much broader energy. Instead of imagining that we can know the Universe (which seems impossible from such a limited state), maybe we could be more efficient to the network by upgrading our "mechanism/structure/radio" with updates. :)
Just to be clear, when I say not Radio Waves I mean not any kind or Wavelength of Electromagnetic Energy. I'm not even talking about Energy. I'm talking about some kind of Consciousness Phenomenon that we know exists, because we Experience it, and that Science can not explain.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

SteveKlinko wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:11 pm Just to be clear, when I say not Radio Waves I mean not any kind or Wavelength of Electromagnetic Energy. I'm not even talking about Energy. I'm talking about some kind of Consciousness Phenomenon that we know exists, because we Experience it, and that Science can not explain.
Okay. Personally, I don't imagine that we humans will ever be able to explain such a thing on our terms. The human experience and all it entails, it would seem, requires not "knowing" such a thing, even though we can experience something. Furthermore, I don't think there is such a thing to be known or explained.

Kind of like... to experience wafting across the colorful, moving surface of a bubble could be enthralling. But to try to "know" the bubble, and it pops. Or to experience being a misty cloud that always keeps changing. Humans require solidity for their human experience, and that doesn't seem to translate into what they're trying to understand beyond themselves.
SteveKlinko

Post by SteveKlinko »

Lacewing wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:58 pm
SteveKlinko wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:11 pm Just to be clear, when I say not Radio Waves I mean not any kind or Wavelength of Electromagnetic Energy. I'm not even talking about Energy. I'm talking about some kind of Consciousness Phenomenon that we know exists, because we Experience it, and that Science can not explain.
Okay. Personally, I don't imagine that we humans will ever be able to explain such a thing on our terms. The human experience and all it entails, it would seem, requires not "knowing" such a thing, even though we can experience something. Furthermore, I don't think there is such a thing to be known or explained.

Kind of like... to experience wafting across the colorful, moving surface of a bubble could be enthralling. But to try to "know" the bubble, and it pops. Or to experience being a misty cloud that always keeps changing. Humans require solidity for their human experience, and that doesn't seem to translate into what they're trying to understand beyond themselves.
You are willing to give up the Quest, which could be the right thing to do. Maybe you know something. But I want to push the Quest forward to the next level of understanding. Maybe most Humans require that kind of solidity, but for my part I don't need it. I have always been curious about how things work and I am not going to give up trying to understand the functioning of Consciousness just because it seems too hard.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

SteveKlinko wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:42 pm I want to push the Quest forward to the next level of understanding. Maybe most Humans require that kind of solidity, but for my part I don't need it. I have always been curious about how things work and I am not going to give up trying to understand the functioning of Consciousness just because it seems too hard.
That's great! Truly! And no, I have not given up...I'm just not compelled to go looking for that sort of answer in particular, based on my own kind of logic. Still, I would truly be excited to hear about anything you or anyone discovers! It seems to me that there is so much that can be discovered in all directions, there's no shortage of choices for exploration. We're all drawn to different things. And it's very engaging and entertaining!
SteveKlinko

Post by SteveKlinko »

Lacewing wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:34 pm
SteveKlinko wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:42 pm I want to push the Quest forward to the next level of understanding. Maybe most Humans require that kind of solidity, but for my part I don't need it. I have always been curious about how things work and I am not going to give up trying to understand the functioning of Consciousness just because it seems too hard.
That's great! Truly! And no, I have not given up...I'm just not compelled to go looking for that sort of answer in particular, based on my own kind of logic. Still, I would truly be excited to hear about anything you or anyone discovers! It seems to me that there is so much that can be discovered in all directions, there's no shortage of choices for exploration. We're all drawn to different things. And it's very engaging and entertaining!
I am also excited to hear about new discoveries. Somebody's going to figure this thing out someday.