What is consciousness to you?

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

f12hte

Re: What is consciousness to you?

Post by f12hte »

SteveKlinko wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:48 pm I like to study the Color Red. I like to talk about the Redness of Red to indicate that I am talking about the Conscious Phenomenon that is in your Mind and not the Electromagnetic Phenomenon at 670nm that is out in the Physical World.
I browsed the site, but found it too far removed from my ideas to devote he time to reading the whole site. Can you summarize your idea? What you call consciousness space sounds like what Plato called the "World of perfect forms", so I do not see how there is anything new in that idea. And I am loathe to accept the existence of non-detectable places.

And everything that we detect is just data, but only until it is integrated with the current data store of memories in a brain, then it becomes conscious data or information. So, per the Integrated Information Theory of Consciousness, the redness of red lies in the relationships between the word "RED", and the individuals memory store of everything, to which he has ever applied the word "RED". When we conjure up redness in our head, the quale consists of the bundle of relationships between the word "RED" and all the red things that we have ever experienced. More generally, quales are relationships. That's why them seem immaterial. And indeed they are. We can see the planets and of the sun, but the relationship between them is invisible albeit detectable.
SteveKlinko

Post by SteveKlinko »

f12hte wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:36 pm
SteveKlinko wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:48 pm I like to study the Color Red. I like to talk about the Redness of Red to indicate that I am talking about the Conscious Phenomenon that is in your Mind and not the Electromagnetic Phenomenon at 670nm that is out in the Physical World.
I browsed the site, but found it too far removed from my ideas to devote he time to reading the whole site. Can you summarize your idea? What you call consciousness space sounds like what Plato called the "World of perfect forms", so I do not see how there is anything new in that idea. And I am loathe to accept the existence of non-detectable places.

And everything that we detect is just data, but only until it is integrated with the current data store of memories in a brain, then it becomes conscious data or information. So, per the Integrated Information Theory of Consciousness, the redness of red lies in the relationships between the word "RED", and the individuals memory store of everything, to which he has ever applied the word "RED". When we conjure up redness in our head, the quale consists of the bundle of relationships between the word "RED" and all the red things that we have ever experienced. More generally, quales are relationships. That's why them seem immaterial. And indeed they are. We can see the planets and of the sun, but the relationship between them is invisible albeit detectable.
Conscious Space arises because of the fact that Conscious Experiences like Redness do not appear to have any existence in the normal Physical Space that we know. Conscious Space does not have to be a real thing, but it is a convenient place to put the Redness Experience Phenomenon until we figure out what Redness is. If you are into IIT then I can see why you would not understand or even like what I say. That's ok because IIT is far removed from the way I have come to know the Brain, Consciousness, and the Universe. We are at a stalemate. Good Luck with your studies.
Atla

Post by Atla »

f12hte wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:16 pm We are born "blank slates"
No we are not, only partially, anyone with a rudimentary understanding of neuroscience/psychology/gene expression knows that.