You cannot stop thinking

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

roydop

You cannot stop thinking

Post by roydop »

Sit in a chair in a still, quiet room, for one hour. Just sit there and don't move and don't think.

You will find it impossible to remain thought free for more than ten seconds.

This is the equivalent of driving a car with no brakes. The only time there is PEACE (OF MIND) is when you CRASH each night.

7.5 billion cars with no brakes.

This encapsulates the state of humanity.
Dontaskme

Re: You cannot stop thinking

Post by Dontaskme »

roydop wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:06 pm Sit in a chair in a still, quiet room, for one hour. Just sit there and don't move and don't think.

This is the equivalent of driving a car with no brakes. The only time there is PEACE (OF MIND) is when you CRASH each night.

Also, trying to stop thinking is like driving with the brakes on.

roydop

Post by roydop »

Shifting Awareness to Self results in the ceasing of thought.

Do or do not; there is no "try". - Yoda
henry quirk

I CAN'T STOP THINKING!

Post by henry quirk »

thank crom
Walker

Post by Walker »

Combine physical immobility with relaxed attention and the physicality of thought-free awareness may be found in these immobile pauses between vibrations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmBrepbZji0
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

roydop wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:15 am Shifting Awareness to Self results in the ceasing of thought.

The Thoughtless state of Awareness cannot be approached by a doer or a do notter. There is no known state as a Thoughtless State.

A still mind is like a still wind. And like a still wind there is no one / no thing / no self there making any shift. .there is no thing thinking and there is no thing not thinking, and there is no thing aware of every known thought as when thought sopontaneously arises freely of it's own accord. There is no doer or not doer of 'thought'

Awareness is a selfless shapeless shapeshifter. That which apparently appears to shift, never shifts, never shifted.

I Like Sushu

Post by I Like Sushu »

roydop wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:06 pm Sit in a chair in a still, quiet room, for one hour. Just sit there and don't move and don't think.

You mean ‘meditate’ I think. With practice you can stretch that ‘full-void’ of silence out a bit longer. It certainly helps general focus if you practice this regularly.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

I Like Sushu wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:50 am

You mean ‘meditate’ I think. With practice you can stretch that ‘full-void’ of silence out a bit longer. It certainly helps general focus if you practice this regularly.
That which appears to meditate never meditated...you playing with illusions again?...without your artificially created other self, there is no you.

No illusion, no you, the you is an illusion you create out of nothingness. The nothingness you are ...appearing as a someone..a grand illusion.

It's a trickless trick.

Last edited by Dontaskme on Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
AlexW

Post by AlexW »

It is not necessary to kill the mind to reach peace, taming the mind is good enough.
I found that peace of mind comes from not identifying with all the concepts thought comes up with.
Disinterest in thought story will eventually reduce the constant flow of thought and lead to a natural balance in present awareness - thought, seeing, hearing, tasting - all in balance without one player taking over and drowning out the rest.
roydop

Post by roydop »

Dontaskme wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:32 am
roydop wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:15 am Shifting Awareness to Self results in the ceasing of thought.

The Thoughtless state of Awareness cannot be approached by a doer or a do notter. There is no known state as a Thoughtless State.

A still mind is like a still wind. And like a still wind there is no one / no thing / no self there making any shift. .there is no thing thinking and there is no thing not thinking, and there is no thing aware of every known thought as when thought sopontaneously arises freely of it's own accord. There is no doer or not doer of 'thought'

Awareness is a selfless shapeless shapeshifter. That which apparently appears to shift, never shifts, never shifted.

I get what your saying but all the nondual blabbilty blah really doesn't help anyone looking for peace.

There IS "something" to do and "someone" doing it until there isn't.
roydop

Post by roydop »

Dontaskme wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:21 am

That which appears to meditate never meditated...you playing with illusions again?...without your artificially created other self, there is no you.

No illusion, no you, the you is an illusion you create out of nothingness. The nothingness you are ...appearing as a someone..a grand illusion.

It's a trickless trick.
I find it funny when, during a conversation, a non dualist begins negating the meaning/purpose of the words being used, while using words.

Yes, words are incorrect/incomplete, but are necessary (in 99.999% of cases) for Enlightenment.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

roydop wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:05 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:32 am

I get what your saying but all the nondual blabbilty blah really doesn't help anyone looking for peace.

There IS "something" to do and "someone" doing it until there isn't.
Whether there Is doing or not doing has nothing to do with a ‘someone or something’

Looking for peace will not be found in the search, since that implies there is an opposite to peace that must be avoided.

So it doesn't work like that ..blah blah blah !!
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

roydop wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:10 pm

It's a trickless trick.
I find it funny when, during a conversation, a non dualist begins negating the meaning/purpose of the words being used, while using words.

Yes, words are incorrect/incomplete, but are necessary (in 99.999% of cases) for Enlightenment.
Show me a man who has finished with words so that I may have a word with him...it’s hilarious yes, LOL

Enlightenment has nothing to do with words.

The concept of self is a fiction...while the real you is enlightenment.

“The wild geese do not intend to cast their reflection; The water has no mind to retain their image.“
Last edited by Dontaskme on Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roydop

Re: I CAN'T STOP THINKING!

Post by roydop »

henry quirk wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:56 am thank crom
That would be Maya you have to thank.
roydop

Post by roydop »

Dontaskme wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:22 pm
roydop wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:10 pm

It's a trickless trick.

Show me a man who has finished with words so that I may have a word with him...it’s hilarious yes, LOL

Enlightenment has nothing to do with words.

The concept of self is a fiction...while the real you is enlightenment.

“The wild geese do not intend to cast their reflection; The water has no mind to retain their image.“