Just another belief system.

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Skepdick

Re: Just another belief system.

Post by Skepdick »

Sculptor wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:53 pm
Skepdick wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:26 pm
Sculptor wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:59 pm It does not matter how many times you repeat yourself you are still wrong.
That's just a silly truism! I am wrong, you are wrong, Dontaskme is wrong, we are all wrong!

It's a principle of science that "All models are wrong, some are useful".

But as Asimov argues, wrongness is relative.
True, and he is absolutely wrong, specifically wrong and particularly wrong.
True. He is absolutely wrong, specifically wrong and particularly wrong.

And he is still less wrong that you.

When you get bored of Philosophical one-upmansihp, perhaps you will decide to do some real science?
The reason why you can relativise (and therefore "win" any argument. Q.E.D) is explained here: here
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Dontaskme wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:17 am
Sculptor wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:17 pm people who know the earth is a round is just a belief system.
To know something, is to form a visual image or impression out from a formless mental idea and then believing the image actually exists as a separate material thing in and of itself apart from the idea, it is to have knowledge by association as and through it's construction within the believing brain or mind.

Knowledge is a conceptual mind made overlay upon the unknown presence of being. To have knowledge is a belief system.

There is no you that HAS knowledge.

YOU are knowledge. From belief to clarity.

You keep talking rot.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Skepdick wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:23 pm
Sculptor wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:53 pm
Skepdick wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:26 pm
That's just a silly truism! I am wrong, you are wrong, Dontaskme is wrong, we are all wrong!

It's a principle of science that "All models are wrong, some are useful".

But as Asimov argues, wrongness is relative.
True, and he is absolutely wrong, specifically wrong and particularly wrong.
True. He is absolutely wrong, specifically wrong and particularly wrong.

And he is still less wrong that you.

When you get bored of Philosophical one-upmansihp, perhaps you will decide to do some real science?
The reason why you can relativise (and therefore "win" any argument. Q.E.D) is explained here: here
You are clueless.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Sculptor wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:03 pm You are clueless.
That is demonstrably not the case, so your words must mean something else entirely.

Perhaps .... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mind_projection_fallacy ?
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Sculptor wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:02 pm You keep talking rot.
Then don't give rot the time of day, why give it a mind? Just know the mind comes and goes in that which is Imperishable.
YOU are that.

Take heed and LEARN ''Never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.''

There's always plenty more where rot comes from. Smell you're own shit.

From belief to clarity.

=&x2

Post by =&x2 »

Sculptor wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:16 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:04 am Nonduality is also a belief system, but one which wipes itself and the believer away...It's normal it doesn't have a lot of 'followers'...

There is no such thing as Nondualism, excpet as an indication that the recipient is not a dualist.
Great point. If it were otherwise, it would have been named “All is One” or “Oneness” or “Just One”. The point you made is actually covered in the name (i.e. = not two)
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

=&x2 wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:42 pm
Sculptor wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:16 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:04 am Nonduality is also a belief system, but one which wipes itself and the believer away...It's normal it doesn't have a lot of 'followers'...

There is no such thing as Nondualism, excpet as an indication that the recipient is not a dualist.
Great point. If it were otherwise, it would have been named “All is One” or “Oneness” or “Just One”. The point you made is actually covered in the name (i.e. = not two)
Indeed, but you could go the other way. Not a monist, but a multiplist.
Or it might even be that the recipient is not concerned to dump everything into some sort of number at all.

Just like the Theists of olden times, it was they who coined the term "atheist" - usually to insult other theist were did not believe EXACTLY as they did. So Catholics were atheists to protestants and Prots were atheist to catholics.
It's all very head-slappy
bahman

Post by bahman »

surreptitious57 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:36 pm I do not describe myself as non dualist but I know that everything is connected to everything else
What is your system of belief?
surreptitious57 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:36 pm The distinctions that exist such as mental and physical for example are for reasons of practicality
I think that the bold part is real rather than practical.
surreptitious57 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:36 pm In reality there is no such distinction but we create them because it is easier for us to understand
We don't create it we just observe it, the reality is in front of us, we are minds interacting through physical.
bahman

Post by bahman »

They don't want to see reality as it is. We have two things, minds, and physical (the stuff that we experience). Minds interact through physical.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

bahman wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:16 pm

They don't want to see reality as it is. We have two things, minds, and physical (the stuff that we experience). Minds interact through physical.
I agree. Thank you for your clarification.