Just another belief system.

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dontaskme

Just another belief system.

Post by Dontaskme » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:04 am

Nonduality is also a belief system, but one which wipes itself and the believer away...It's normal it doesn't have a lot of 'followers'...

PeteJ

Re: Just another belief system.

Post by PeteJ » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:49 pm

Nonduality is not a belief system. This is exactly and precisely what it is not.

Of course, many believe without knowing, but those who know are not relying on a belief system. The entire idea is to transcend the believer-believed distinction.

surreptitious57

Post by surreptitious57 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:36 pm

I do not describe myself as non dualist but I know that everything is connected to everything else
The distinctions that exist such as mental and physical for example are for reasons of practicality
In reality there is no such distinction but we create them because it is easier for us to understand

Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:24 am

PeteJ wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:49 pm
Nonduality is not a belief system. This is exactly and precisely what it is not.

Of course, many believe without knowing, but those who know are not relying on a belief system. The entire idea is to transcend the believer-believed distinction.
That which appears to transcend never transcended.

That's the enjoyed absurdism of conceptualising the non-conceptual.

Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:46 am

surreptitious57 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:36 pm
I do not describe myself as non dualist but I know that everything is connected to everything else
The distinctions that exist such as mental and physical for example are for reasons of practicality
In reality there is no such distinction but we create them because it is easier for us to understand
Nondual reality is a tricky sticky trap for the sense of being a separate being.
Being can negate everything even key concepts like mind, consciousness, the witness, ultimate subject etc... yet being can not negate Source the undying, unborn wellspring that has to be....THIS unknown source of all known knowledge IS without doubt or error...rendering all things known illusory non-substantial invisible ideas empty to the core.
surreptitious57 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:36 pm
I do not describe myself as non dualist but I know
The I that is able to describe itself as a non - non-dualist is an illusory appearance within this immediate already existing not-knowing non-dual self. Rendering all claimed knowledge an illusory appearance within this reality.

Once we acknowledge an essential inextinguishable Source, our understandings and meanings lose their absoluteness. Anything known/spoken is never absolute - it's relative.

You first have to exist before you can know you exist. Knowing you exist is the illusory secondary reality, the play of maya, of otherness and all things.