Do you think you know that the Moon exists?

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Logik
Posts: 4041
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:48 pm

Re: Do you think you know that the Moon exists?

Post by Logik » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:44 pm

Walker wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:39 pm
Logik wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:19 pm
Divide 14 billion by 75 for a wake up call.
14,000,000,000 ÷ 75 = 186,666,666.667

:?:
The "beginning" of time was. 186 million human lifetimes ago.

Notihng? Is the concept of scale foreign to you?

Walker
Posts: 6803
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:00 am

Re: Do you think you know that the Moon exists?

Post by Walker » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:49 pm

Ah, now I see the light.

Although it signifies years, that quotient is roughly twice the number of miles to the sun.
Uh huh.

Why is the moon the same size in the sky as the sun?
Coincidence?

Logik
Posts: 4041
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:48 pm

Re: Do you think you know that the Moon exists?

Post by Logik » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:56 pm

Walker wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:49 pm
Ah, now I see the light.

Although it signifies years, that quotient is roughly twice the number of miles to the sun.
Uh huh.

Why is the moon the same size in the sky as the sun?
Coincidence?
:roll:

We really ought to build a Total Perspective Vortex.

Clearly numbers mean nothing to the man-apes.

Walker
Posts: 6803
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:00 am

Re: Do you think you know that the Moon exists?

Post by Walker » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:59 pm

Logik wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:56 pm
Walker wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:49 pm
Ah, now I see the light.

Although it signifies years, that quotient is roughly twice the number of miles to the sun.
Uh huh.

Why is the moon the same size in the sky as the sun?
Coincidence?
:roll:

We really ought to build a Total Perspective Vortex.

Clearly numbers mean nothing to the man-apes.
Oh yeah?

The other night was the brightest moon for the next seven years, and I studied it with the naked eye.

I could read by the light of that moon, but admittedly it was a heavy line of ink* I read, and a bit of a strain for these old eyes. :wink:

:D

If you don’t see the relevance, just imagine if you will how bright the moon would be if solar panels covered its surface. Although it would likely disrupt nocturnal life cycles on earth, gazing at such brightness from the dark would likely be like feeling life fully via the sensuous spiritual experience known as laying down a fine line of vibrant luxury ink with precious materials that have been shaped by precision craftsmanship.

After the electricity runs out, the night for the luddites who remain here on earth could well be a matter of moonlight squinting at print solicitations for luxury pens that extol the virtues of various nibs, one such nib being the Pelikan renowned for its perfect combination of best smoothness and tooth at any price, and the pen itself valued for the durable brass inner workings of the larger 800 and 1000 bodies. If man or woman must choose, then the best Pelikan value is the m400 in terms of balance, lightness, tooth, quality of line, ink capacity, and sheer irresistible beauty if fortunate enough to find the tortoise-shell edition. However, the 800 is an impressive piece of engineering that is among the best that man can offer.


* Pelikan m800, f-point, or maybe it was the m600, m-point.

surreptitious57
Posts: 3443
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:09 am

Re: Do you think you know that the Moon exists?

Post by surreptitious57 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:53 am

Dontaskme wrote:
The one acquiring knowledge must have always existed timelessly
I have not always existed in this body but what caused me to come into existence was timeless
Everything is directly / indirectly connected to everything else for there are no gaps in reality

Age
Posts: 3063
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:17 am

Re: Do you think you know that the Moon exists?

Post by Age » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:51 pm

surreptitious57 wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:53 am
Dontaskme wrote:
The one acquiring knowledge must have always existed timelessly
I have not always existed in this body but what caused me to come into existence was timeless
Do NOT be so sure of this, from the perspective that you are looking at this from, that is.
surreptitious57 wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:53 am
Everything is directly / indirectly connected to everything else for there are no gaps in reality
If this is True, then there also is NO gap from the 'me', which you referred to in your first sentence, and thee timeless 'I'.

Once 'you' are able to answer the question; 'Who am 'I'?' properly and correctly, then this will be far better understood.

Dimebag
Posts: 92
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:12 am

Re: Do you think you know that the Moon exists?

Post by Dimebag » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:39 am

If we can confirm that the astronauts exist, and that the astronauts did indeed travel to a thing called the moon on a rocket, and did indeed make it back, and did produce with them footage of the moon (objective recordings) then yes, we can state that the moon does exist.

We know the astronauts exist (footage), we know they did travel on a rocket to the moon (footage), we know that the Changi rover is now on the moon. So yes, I assume based on objective evidence that the moon exists.

User avatar
Speakpigeon
Posts: 957
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:20 pm
Location: Paris, France, EU

Re: Do you think you know that the Moon exists?

Post by Speakpigeon » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:01 pm

Walker wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:49 pm
Ah, now I see the light.

Although it signifies years, that quotient is roughly twice the number of miles to the sun.
Uh huh.

Why is the moon the same size in the sky as the sun?
Coincidence?
Of course not, it's the Divine Purpose to make sure Man understands that the Little Guy can eclipse the Big Fellow.
Well, once in a long while at any rate.
EB

User avatar
Speakpigeon
Posts: 957
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:20 pm
Location: Paris, France, EU

Re: Do you think you know that the Moon exists?

Post by Speakpigeon » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:10 pm

Walker wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:59 pm
Logik wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:56 pm
Walker wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:49 pm
Ah, now I see the light.

Although it signifies years, that quotient is roughly twice the number of miles to the sun.
Uh huh.

Why is the moon the same size in the sky as the sun?
Coincidence?
:roll:

We really ought to build a Total Perspective Vortex.

Clearly numbers mean nothing to the man-apes.
Oh yeah?

The other night was the brightest moon for the next seven years, and I studied it with the naked eye.

I could read by the light of that moon, but admittedly it was a heavy line of ink* I read, and a bit of a strain for these old eyes. :wink:

:D

If you don’t see the relevance, just imagine if you will how bright the moon would be if solar panels covered its surface. Although it would likely disrupt nocturnal life cycles on earth, gazing at such brightness from the dark would likely be like feeling life fully via the sensuous spiritual experience known as laying down a fine line of vibrant luxury ink with precious materials that have been shaped by precision craftsmanship.

After the electricity runs out, the night for the luddites who remain here on earth could well be a matter of moonlight squinting at print solicitations for luxury pens that extol the virtues of various nibs, one such nib being the Pelikan renowned for its perfect combination of best smoothness and tooth at any price, and the pen itself valued for the durable brass inner workings of the larger 800 and 1000 bodies. If man or woman must choose, then the best Pelikan value is the m400 in terms of balance, lightness, tooth, quality of line, ink capacity, and sheer irresistible beauty if fortunate enough to find the tortoise-shell edition. However, the 800 is an impressive piece of engineering that is among the best that man can offer.


* Pelikan m800, f-point, or maybe it was the m600, m-point.
Caviar to a pig.
EB

User avatar
Speakpigeon
Posts: 957
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:20 pm
Location: Paris, France, EU

Re: Do you think you know that the Moon exists?

Post by Speakpigeon » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:15 pm

Dimebag wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:39 am
So yes, I assume based on objective evidence that the moon exists.
So, you think that knowledge is assumption based on objective evidence?
If so, how can you know that evidence is objective?
And how do you know that anything is evidence for that matter?
EB

User avatar
Speakpigeon
Posts: 957
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:20 pm
Location: Paris, France, EU

Re: "So knowledge is just rational belief?"

Post by Speakpigeon » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:18 pm

henry quirk wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:32 pm
Mebbe it might be better to call it 'practical belief' (as in 'belief that works'). For instance: I bought a big box of Lucifer Matches...I 'believe' every last one will spark up on any rough surface and I 'believe' this cuz experience and reason inform me. In this case: 'practical belief' is synonomous with 'knowing' or 'knowledge'.
So, what's the point of talking of knowledge at all. Can't we just say that we believe stuff and leave it at that?
EB

User avatar
Speakpigeon
Posts: 957
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:20 pm
Location: Paris, France, EU

Re: Do you think you know that the Moon exists?

Post by Speakpigeon » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:23 pm

Age wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:49 am
Speakpigeon wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:12 pm
Age wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:38 am
You only THINK that the moon exists. You do NOT KNOW this for sure.
Ok, so, is there anything you know?
Yes, the thoughts within this head.
That's something surely Descartes would have approved of.
So, presumably, you don't think you know you have a head?
EB

User avatar
Speakpigeon
Posts: 957
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:20 pm
Location: Paris, France, EU

Re: Do you think you know that the Moon exists?

Post by Speakpigeon » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:26 pm

Age wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:35 am
Speakpigeon wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:09 pm
Age wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:28 am
The moon as you see it, from the physical eyes, does not exist anymore. That moon has already changed in shape and form. So, I do NOT know if the moon exists, at any current moment.
Fair enough. So, suppose you're looking at the Moon in the sky, would you say you'd know that the Moon at least has existed at some point in the past, say, perhaps a bit more than a second ago, for example?
No, I would say that I have witnessed some thing, which is generally known as the 'moon'. I would NOT say that I would know that the moon existed at some point in the past, because I do NOT know this for sure.
Ok, so what do you think this thing might be if not the Moon itself?
EB

surreptitious57
Posts: 3443
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:09 am

Re: Do you think you know that the Moon exists?

Post by surreptitious57 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:55 pm

Speakpigeon wrote:
So you think that knowledge is assumption based on objective evidence ?
If so how can you know that evidence is objective ?
And how do you know that anything is evidence for that matter ?
Knowledge is inter subjectivity supported by evidence that is sufficient enough to be acceptable
The quality of evidence is determined by how rigorously it is subjected to the scientific method

The greater the inter subjectivity and quality of evidence the more legitimate the knowledge claim

No knowledge claim can be treated as absolute unless it results in disproof / falsification
Disproving / falsifying something is far easier than proving it which could be impossible

It only takes one black swan to disprove / falsify the statement : all swans are white
It would require knowledge of every swan that had ever existed to prove it however

User avatar
henry quirk
Posts: 4748
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 8:07 pm

Post by henry quirk » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:11 pm

"So, what's the point of talking of knowledge at all."

Good question. Me: I don't...usually...mostly... ;)

#

"Can't we just say that we believe stuff and leave it at that?"

Works for me.





but i still know the moon is real

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest