Why humans can't get rid of their egos ?

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

AlexW

Re: Why humans can't get rid of their egos ?

Post by AlexW »

Logik wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:12 am Happiness is for animals. Meaning is for humans.
That’s maybe the saddest thing I have ever heard.
I hope you don’t live like that... chasing meaning in everything you do.
Don’t you know that real happiness is only found in the meaningless?
Logik

Post by Logik »

AlexW wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:51 pm Don’t you know that real happiness is only found in the meaningless?
I do. That is exactly why I pursue meaning, not happiness.

If ignorance is bliss then why are you on a philosophy forum?
bahman

Post by bahman »

Logik wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:12 am Meaning is for humans.
Can you define meaning?
Logik

Post by Logik »

bahman wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:22 pm
Can you define meaning?
Stop with your "can you define X" bullshit.

Can you define "define" ?

Can you CONCEPTUALIZE meaning? Yes I can. Information is meaning. Meaning is information. Why?

Because information answers yes/no questions. And those are the simplest questions YOU can ask.

Can I define information? Yes I can. The same definition Shannon used
bahman

Post by bahman »

Logik wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:44 pm
Can you define meaning?

Can you CONCEPTUALIZE meaning? Yes I can. Information is meaning. Meaning is information. Why?

Because information answers yes/no questions. And those are the simplest questions YOU can ask.

So the meaning of life is some sort of information?
Logik

Post by Logik »

bahman wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:57 pm
Can you define meaning?

What answer do you expect?

What is wrong with the answer “42”?

Or... The meaning of life is to live it.
henry quirk

"Can you define meaning?"

Post by henry quirk »

Meaning is the significance I invest in 'this' one (rather than 'that' one); wholly subjective; completely in the eye of the beholder; never intrinsic, always bestowed.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Logik wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:24 pm
bahman wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:57 pm

What answer do you expect?
Something that make sense and everybody agrees with it.
Logik wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:24 pm What is wrong with the answer “42”?
I don't think that meaning is in domain of thoughts. I don't think that it is feeling either.
Logik wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:24 pm Or... The meaning of life is to live it.
So meaning is living?
Logik

Post by Logik »

bahman wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:40 pm Something that make sense and everybody agrees with it.
Why doesn't 42 make sense?
Do you disagree with 42?
bahman wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:40 pm I don't think that meaning is in domain of thoughts. I don't think that it is feeling either.
Good! Because 42 is neither a thought nor a feeling. it's a number.
bahman wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:40 pm So meaning is living?
Meaning is 42.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Logik wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:31 pm
bahman wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:40 pm Something that make sense and everybody agrees with it.
Why doesn't 42 make sense?
Do you disagree with 42?
bahman wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:40 pm I don't think that meaning is in domain of thoughts. I don't think that it is feeling either.
Good! Because 42 is neither a thought nor a feeling. it's a number.
bahman wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:40 pm So meaning is living?
Meaning is 42.
How about 43?
AlexW

Post by AlexW »

Logik wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:18 pm I do. That is exactly why I pursue meaning, not happiness.

If ignorance is bliss then why are you on a philosophy forum?
I am here because I like talking to you. I am not here to find a deeper meaning in it.
Some like skydiving, some like discussing things - let people do what makes them happy.
Logik wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:31 pmMeaning is 42.
If you believe that life's meaning is 42, then, what you are actually saying is that life has no meaning (or rather: only the meaning you award it - which is of course different from person to person).
If this is so, then why are you looking for meaning? Makes no sense...

By the way: The answer is 42 because in ASCII (American Standard Code for Information Interchange) code 42 is the asterisk (*) wildcard, meaning anything you want it to be.
onglob

Post by onglob »

Well, the reactions have been much more pessimistic and hopeless than I have expected.
And it seems that the warnings in medias has caused panic and anger instead of provoking our
curiosity to find the causes of this dire trend towards extinction.
“Dominance” is a human invention, nature knows nothing of it. Nature works in a symbiotic way, taking and giving, eating and being eaten.
Becoming dominant means being out of tune with nature, not controlling it.
That's true , during millions of years of evolution and before the industrial revolution , Humans was just a creature , although an intelligent one , as many other creatures in the evolutionary battle for survival going on in the nature .
And now that humans has become the dominant creature , they have violated the balance in nature and natural evolution of creatures including themselves .
But it can be , or it could be , a transition period from natural evolutionary trend into intelligent evolutionary trend , that would need too much intelligence and calculated predictions that can be or could be achieved with the aid of super computers .

But the prerequisite of such optimistic prospect is the realization of our serious responsibilities for our environment and departing from our egoistic behaviors .
So again we face the question that why we cannot get rid our egos and egoistic behaviors ?

Why we love sport not because of the sport itself , but because we are enchanted by champions ?
Why we mostly love music not because of music itself, but because we are fascinated by music stars or
music idols ?
Why we mostly love art not for the art itself, but because we are intrigued by artists and celebrities ?
AlexW

Post by AlexW »

onglob wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:46 pm ...as many other creatures in the evolutionary battle for survival going on in the nature
I don't see it like that at all - I don't see a battle taking place anywhere.
Seeing life and survival as a battle is a very human way of seeing things - just because we are taught from young age that life is a hurdle race that can only have one winner, this does not have to be ultimately true.
There is no "battle for survival going on in nature" - there is simply life living itself "going on".
onglob wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:46 pm So again we face the question that why we cannot get rid our egos and egoistic behaviors ?
We don't have to get rid of our egos, we only have to see what is actually happening - we have to be aware of its workings and not always fall for its stories and beliefs.
Having an ego, a personality, is not a bad thing, it only becomes a bad thing when it is the only driving factor in ones life.
This is when everything becomes a "battle of survival" instead of a magical, beautiful unfolding - its a matter of perspective.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Is ego responsible for both destruction and creation?

How about preservation?

For brutality and suffering and all the woes of man or woman?

Quite powerful, this ego.
All-encompassing.

Didn’t Ayn Rand say that God is ego?
onglob wrote:Why we love sport not because of the sport itself , but because we are enchanted by champions ?
Why we mostly love music not because of music itself, but because we are fascinated by music stars or
music idols ?
Why we mostly love art not for the art itself, but because we are intrigued by artists and celebrities ?
Folks want the best as a basis of comparison within any field of endeavor, so folks look to those who have achieved the best in any particular field, or they look to the best for the best in competition.
AlexW

Post by AlexW »

Walker wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:18 am Quite powerful, this ego.
All-encompassing.
So it seems. At least until one finds out that it actually doesn’t even exist, there is no such entity at all.
It’s actually really flimsy and weak, maybe that’s why “it” takes every attempt at diminishing it so serious...
So you can’t really say it is responsible for anything, it (the sum total of all the beliefs one carries) really only blocks the view, it keeps people busy in their head instead of allowing them to see the world as it is.