Consciousness

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dontaskme

Consciousness

Post by Dontaskme »

Since there is nothing at all that is different from consciousness, the five elements, along with the five senses and the five organs of sense, all these are consciousness only. Whatever is in the beginning, in the middle and in the end – all these are also consciousness. The indescribable illusion is also consciousness. The one who perceives everything and the act of perceiving are also consciousness.

All the world’s diversity, which derives from the misperceptions of the mind and which appears to be real – is the witnessing consciousness alone.

Harbal

Re: Consciousness

Post by Harbal »

So what?
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Harbal wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:49 pmSo what?
So there is nothing that is static. Every thing that seems to be a thing is not a fixed thing but is part of flow of consciousness.

This matters, because we should know that we are each of us swept up in a universal flow of creation. There is ultimately no right and no wrong , only ideas that we create. Therefore we should be merciful.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Belinda wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:49 pm Every thing that seems to be a thing is not a fixed thing but is part of flow of consciousness.
That may well be the case, Belinda, but we still have to behave as though we are in a universe of matter.
This matters, because we should know that we are each of us swept up in a universal flow of creation. There is ultimately no right and no wrong , only ideas that we create. Therefore we should be merciful.
Okay, just for you, I'll be merciful. :wink:
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Subject and Object. Perceived and Perceived. Seer and Seen. The Mirror and the Reflection.

Are metaphorical pointers representing the unity of the eternal and the temporal and You Are fully This-One right now.

“to say ‘I do’ is altogether false, because there is nobody
who does; all happens by itself, including the idea of
being a doer”

Pretending to be the doer is also the action of this one right now. This ONE is not a thing.

Knowing this One is the peace that passes all understanding. But are we ready to be at peace with ourselves?..the answer is Yes because there is no other option, it’s the natural state, there is nothing outside of this state that can threaten or effect it, all commotion finally succumbs to this state.

Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Harbal wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:59 pm
That may well be the case, Belinda, but we still have to behave as though we are in a universe of matter.

Earth, mountains, rivers - hidden in this nothingness.
In this nothingness - earth, mountains, rivers revealed.
Spring flowers, winter snows:
There's no being or non-being, nor denial itself.

Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Harbal wrote:
That's true. It would be nice if consciousness survived matter's demise.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Belinda wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:15 am Harbal wrote:
That's true. It would be nice if consciousness survived matter's demise.
There is no knowledge of what consciousness or matter is let alone that either can somehow meet it's demise, such is pure assumption that has no actual truth or basis in reality.

''Of what we cannot speak we must remain silent'' ~ Ludwig Wittgenstein philosopher.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Dontaskme wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:10 am
''Of what we cannot speak we must remain silent'' ~ Ludwig Wittgenstein philosopher.
So if you think it's worth quoting why don't you practice what he preached .
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Q: There's something else going on, when you talk, and there are spaces between the words. There is this spaciousness that takes over, and it's hard to concentrate on what you're saying. There's a tendency to think that that stillness is actually the true nature, but is it just another experience?

Answer: In the absence of 'I' there is 'stillness'. 'I' reappears and claims stillness as an experience. In fact there is only experiencing, knowing, seeing - which is 'stillness', but is also the appearance of 'I' as part of the scenery in the play of life. Therefore, stillness is not an experience, but neither is anything else. There is only experiencing - with no experiencer - which is simply 'what is'. And that includes any appearance of 'I' as the present configuration.

In other words, aka silence sounding, you cannot practice being what you already ARE.

You are BEING.

You AS Awareness cannot be known, as IT is the very knowing.

Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Dontaskme wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:34 am Q: There's something else going on, when you talk, and there are spaces between the words. There is this spaciousness that takes over, and it's hard to concentrate on what you're saying. There's a tendency to think that that stillness is actually the true nature, but is it just another experience?

Answer: In the absence of 'I' there is 'stillness'. 'I' reappears and claims stillness as an experience. In fact there is only experiencing, knowing, seeing - which is 'stillness', but is also the appearance of 'I' as part of the scenery in the play of life. Therefore, stillness is not an experience, but neither is anything else. There is only experiencing - with no experiencer - which is simply 'what is'. And that includes any appearance of 'I' as the present configuration.

In other words, aka silence sounding, you cannot practice being what you already ARE.

You are BEING.

As usual, you are saying nothing, because you know nothing.

There is awareness, but what is informing that awareness is unknowable because awareness is the only tool there is to investigate with. Awareness may be all there is but it could also be the case that "reality" really is made of atoms and forces, even if those things are not what they are actually envisaged to be. So, if we are to remain silent regarding that of which we cannot speak, you had better shut up, as well.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Harbal wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:25 am
Dontaskme wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:34 am Q: There's something else going on, when you talk, and there are spaces between the words. There is this spaciousness that takes over, and it's hard to concentrate on what you're saying. There's a tendency to think that that stillness is actually the true nature, but is it just another experience?

You are BEING.

As usual, you are saying nothing, because you know nothing.

There is awareness, but what is informing that awareness is unknowable because awareness is the only tool there is to investigate with. Awareness may be all there is but it could also be the case that "reality" really is made of atoms and forces, even if those things are not what they are actually envisaged to be. So, if we are to remain silent regarding that of which we cannot speak, you had better shut up, as well.
No one to shut up..so any shutting up would be no thing shutting up....known when the no thing that is apparently saying no thing dissolves and silence remains as always.

All knowledge informs the illusory reality of a known knower, there is only “knowing” by the only knowing there is which is consciousness...
The ‘answer’ is not in the words one hears or reads, but in the Awareness of such hearing and reading.

Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Dontaskme wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:49 am
No one to shut up..so any shutting up would be no thing shutting up....known when the no thing that is apparently saying no thing dissolves and silence remains as always.

All knowledge informs the illusory reality of a known knower, there is only “knowing” by the only knowing there is which is consciousness...
The ‘answer’ is not in the words one hears or reads, but in the Awareness of such hearing and reading.

Thank you for your opinion.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Harbal wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:58 am
Dontaskme wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:49 am

Thank you for your opinion.
Disclaimer..

That’s all it IS...was and ever will be.

Ramu

Post by Ramu »

Hey guys and gals: Stop looking for something behind the scenes. Reality doesn't need some metaphysical substrate. All there are are first person appearances.