The thoughts of Nisargadatta Maharaj

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Walker

Re: The thoughts of Nisargadatta Maharaj

Post by Walker » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:59 pm

“It is enough to know what you are not.

You need not know what you are.

For, as long as knowledge means description in terms of what is already known, perceptual, or conceptual, there can be no such thing as self-knowledge, for what you are cannot be described, except as total negation. All you can say is: ‘I am not this, I am not that’. You cannot meaningfully say ‘this is what I am’. It just makes no sense. What you can point out as ‘this’ or ‘that’ cannot be yourself. Surely, you can not be ‘something’ else. You are nothing perceivable, or imaginable. Yet, without you there can be neither perception nor imagination. You observe the heart feeling, the mind thinking, the body acting; the very act of perceiving shows that you are not what you perceive. Can there be perception, experience, without you? An experience must ‘belong’. Somebody must come and declare it as his own. Without an experiencer the experience is not real. It is the experiencer that imparts reality to experience. An experience which you cannot have, of what value is it to you?”

- Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

Post by Age » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:20 pm

Walker wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:59 pm
“It is enough to know what you are not.

You need not know what you are.

For, as long as knowledge means description in terms of what is already known, perceptual, or conceptual, there can be no such thing as self-knowledge, for what you are cannot be described, except as total negation. All you can say is: ‘I am not this, I am not that’. You cannot meaningfully say ‘this is what I am’. It just makes no sense. What you can point out as ‘this’ or ‘that’ cannot be yourself. Surely, you can not be ‘something’ else. You are nothing perceivable, or imaginable. Yet, without you there can be neither perception nor imagination. You observe the heart feeling, the mind thinking, the body acting; the very act of perceiving shows that you are not what you perceive. Can there be perception, experience, without you? An experience must ‘belong’. Somebody must come and declare it as his own. Without an experiencer the experience is not real. It is the experiencer that imparts reality to experience. An experience which you cannot have, of what value is it to you?”

- Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

I KNOW thee answer, but WHY do you think that 'you', human beings, LOOK AT and SEE things from and through the perspective of "others" instead of just LOOKING AT and SEEING thee Truth of things from and through thy True Self only?

Walker

Post by Walker » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:06 pm

There’s nothing new under the sun.
Not even the groove.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZZQuj6htF4

Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:42 am

Walker wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:06 pm
There’s nothing new under the sun.
Absolutely everything that can be thought of already exists.

Every technological advancement we see today has already been used in the past by our ancient ancestors.

As civilisations arise and fall they are replaced infinitely for eternity. Reality is everywhere, not just on planet earth which is just a grain of sand within the great desert of God's mind.

Nothing is science fiction, everything is science fact. Because it's all God.

Earth is a school. We are being tested for our competence and loyality and commitment. All other alien races across the universe are not allowed to interfere with our development or progress for we are supposed to figure this experience of living out for ourselves, and that's how we move forward, learn and grow.
The cure for all cancer and other diseases already exists on earth, our job is to discover this. It's all part of the script that we are acting out. In reality nothing every happened to us because everything is nothing but God.

Nothing is lost by not existing...everything will be slowly decimated by existence.

Walker

Post by Walker » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:22 pm

Dontaskme wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:42 am

Every technological advancement we see today has already been used in the past by our ancient ancestors.
Maybe not. But anyway, the saying refers to the important, not the baubles.

There’s always new dogs to learn old tricks.