Page 2 of 14

Re: The thoughts of Nisargadatta Maharaj

Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:10 pm
by Walker
Thanks DAM. How do you ... or anyone ... think that last quote compares or contrasts with Decartes’, “I think, therefore I am,” if that is the proper translation.

A synopsis is one more layer removed from the source, but it does save time for the academic gathering information.

If one does not have the time or inclination to wade through the dialogues, the forward to I Am That offers a synopsis of Sri Nisargadatta’s thinking, and it is written by a philosopher.

“Maharaj’s interpretation of truth is not different from that of Jnana Yoga/Advaita Vedanta. But, he has a way of his own. The multifarious forms around us, says he, are constituted of the five elements. They are transient, and in a state of perpetual flux. Also they are governed, by the law of causation. All this applies to the body and the mind also, both of which are transient and subject to birth and death. We know that only by means of the bodily senses and the mind can the world be known. As in the Kantian view, it is a correlate of the human knowing subject, and, therefore, has the fundamental structure of our way of knowing. This means that time, space and causality are not ‘objective’, or extraneous entities, but mental categories in which everything is moulded. The existence and form of all things depend upon the mind. Cognition is a mental product. And the world as seen from the mind is a subjective and private world, which changes continuously in accordance with the restlessness of the mind itself.”
- Forward to I Am That, pdf
http://www.anandavala.info/miscl/I_Am_That.pdf

Re: The thoughts of Nisargadatta Maharaj

Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:51 pm
by Dontaskme
Walker wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:10 pm
Thanks DAM. How do you ... or anyone ... think that last quote compares or contrasts with Decartes’, “I think, therefore I am,” if that is the proper translation.
Yes Walker, that last quote is almost identical in comparison of meaning in Descartes “I think, therefore I am,”..so yes, I agree, you are right, well spotted, I would never have seen that amazing coincidence myself...good job!

It's never ceases to amaze me how many different ways one can describe Pure Beingness.

The thing is this..The YOU aka the I AM has to be first, this existence is prior to you knowing you exist, it's prior to knowledge so to speak...then within that beingness...the thought 'I am' is the known 'I am'...known by that which exists prior to the thought arising, and is not known by the thought itself...a thought can't know anything because a thought is already the known.

The only real you is I AM ..anything that comes after the I AM...aka I Am a (man) or I Am a (woman) is a conceptual thought, these thoughts have no existence in and of themselves apart from the one in which they are arising. :D ..but the good news is that you the I AM is the one playing your own dream world. And all dream worlds are existing simultaneously in the same one space..aka awareness.

Nonduality is so beautiful.

Nisargadatta Maharaj
“It is always the false that makes you suffer, the false desires and fears, the false values and ideas, the false relationships between people. ...
“Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, ...
“You will receive everything you need when you stop asking for what you do not need”


.

Beautiful, absolutely beautiful. As consciousness we can choose to love each other or destroy each other, we just have to know our self, and once we know truth of our self...is when we can really make our dreams come true...we've been given the chance, by actually being here, the gift that is your life right now...but until we know who we really are and what we really want...we'll continue to fight, so if we can't love each other collectively, then we certainly can love ourselves alone. Right now I'm in heaven, I don't know about you.

.

.

Re: The thoughts of Nisargadatta Maharaj

Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:25 am
by Walker
Dontaskme wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:51 pm

Yes Walker, that last quote is almost identical in comparison of meaning in Descartes “I think, therefore I am,”..so yes, I agree, you are right, well spotted, I would never have seen that amazing coincidence myself...good job!
Are you serious?

(I’m trying to think of a response that would cause me to reply.)

:lol:

Re: The thoughts of Nisargadatta Maharaj

Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:29 pm
by Dontaskme
Walker wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:25 am
Dontaskme wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:51 pm

Yes Walker, that last quote is almost identical in comparison of meaning in Descartes “I think, therefore I am,”..so yes, I agree, you are right, well spotted, I would never have seen that amazing coincidence myself...good job!
Are you serious?

(I’m trying to think of a response that would cause me to reply.)

:lol:
If only I knew what this means :roll: :? :idea: :?: :D

.

Re: The thoughts of Nisargadatta Maharaj

Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:37 pm
by Walker
It just means that sometimes there aren't any words.

Re: The thoughts of Nisargadatta Maharaj

Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:51 pm
by Dontaskme
Walker wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:37 pm
It just means that sometimes there aren't any words.
Oh okay...my sunbeam. :D

I love talking about nonduality..I can’t shut me up..lol.. :D

I just can’t be normal anymore...it’s like I feel like an alien inside my body. :shock:

Re: The thoughts of Nisargadatta Maharaj

Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:25 pm
by Dontaskme
Or maybe I’m normal..and everyone else is an alien..it’s one of the side effects of nirvana I think.. :roll:

Re: The thoughts of Nisargadatta Maharaj

Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:30 am
by Walker
You haven't read the material.

:|

Re: The thoughts of Nisargadatta Maharaj

Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:28 am
by Dontaskme
Walker wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:30 am
You haven't read the material.

:|

So what if I haven't...does this thread come with terms and conditions or something? :roll:

I started this thread on the premise that everything should be allowed to flow where attention goes, to be yourself and express what ever pops up spontaneously, like Greta's video did ...

Expectation is such a killer of being in the moment.

.

Consciousness knows itself as the whole ocean,boundless, free, unlimited, unconditioned, unborn awareness.
Nisargadatta Maharaj said, “Nothing profits the world as much as the abandoning of profits.”
Living from groundlessness, from not knowing, from simply being open and present, without beliefs or ideology or expectations. That is true freedom.

.

Re: The thoughts of Nisargadatta Maharaj

Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:48 am
by Dontaskme
Words of Nisargadatta Maharaj:

“Along with the knowledge ‘I am’ appears space and the world. When the knowledge ‘I am’ departs the world is liquidated.
Appearance and disappearance, birth and death these are qualities of ‘I am’, they do not belong to you, the Absolute.
Catch hold of the knowledge ‘I am’ in meditation and the realization will occur that ‘I’, the Absolute, am not the quality ‘I am’.

Do nothing but stay in the knowledge ‘I am’, the ‘moolmaya’ or primary illusion, and then it will release its stranglehold on you and get lost.”

-----

Dam resting in the moolmaya..aka nirvana. This is every humans birthright. Animals and plants, bird and sea creatures are already in moolmaya.



.

“All happiness comes from awareness. The more we are conscious, the deeper the joy. Acceptance of pain, non-resistance, courage and endurance -- these open deep and perennial sources of real happiness, true bliss.”

― Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj


.

Re: The thoughts of Nisargadatta Maharaj

Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:51 am
by Walker
In the first paragraph of the Foreword to I Am That, the philosopher writes, “In fact, many regard it as the only book of spiritual teaching really worth studying.”

You don’t know why he wrote that.

Re: The thoughts of Nisargadatta Maharaj

Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:56 am
by Dontaskme
Walker wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:51 am

You don’t know why he wrote that.
Why do you say that? ..I'm not following you at all.

Re: The thoughts of Nisargadatta Maharaj

Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:15 am
by Dontaskme
Dontaskme wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:56 am
Walker wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:51 am

You don’t know why he wrote that.
Why do you say that? ..I'm not following you at all.

It doesn't matter why he wrote that, people follow their own unique paths, what resonates with their own experience. Each to their own God of their own understanding.

Re: The thoughts of Nisargadatta Maharaj

Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:31 am
by Walker
Don’t you want to know why he wrote that?

Don’t you think it remarkable that an academic would write such a thing about an uneducated peasant?

Re: The thoughts of Nisargadatta Maharaj

Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:44 am
by Dontaskme
Walker wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:31 am
Don’t you want to know why he wrote that?

Walker, if you want me to understand where you are coming from, you'll have to indulge a proper two way communication with me otherwise I have no idea what you are talking about, you'll need to be more specific and not just post ''one liners'' at me expecting me to know automatically how to respond and what to say in that response. I find it very difficult to know what other people are saying, and is why I don't ever communicate worldly issues on this forum with others.

So no, I don't know why he wrote that, because I didn't read the material as you pointed out,so why did he write that ?

It seems you have something to say about this, not me, so share with me what you have to say, and then I will follow your lead and give you my response.

.

I prefer proper fluid conversation between two people where both people are open enough and willing to come to the same conclusion and the same understanding of what's being discussed between the two people. Thanks,

.