The thoughts of Nisargadatta Maharaj

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dontaskme

Re: The thoughts of Nisargadatta Maharaj

Post by Dontaskme »

Walker wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:57 pm Not at all insulting to me. You only insult yourself. Why should your ignorance insult me, or anyone?

As far as calling me, or anyone, out on what you perceive as bullshit ... you have yet to do that anywhere, to anyone.

Slinging shit doesn't call out anyone or anything at any time.

The two that your shit-slinging tango requires is you the thrower, and most any target.
You claimed there was an insulting baboon responding to your bullshit comments which I have every right to say so.
” Insulting “ was your use of the word in this verbal exchange, not mine.
You claimed there was some insulting going on.
I wasn’t insulting myself, I’m too intelligent to do that.
You was insulted by my comments.
Also there’s no insulter without the insulted.

Just be a man about this and admit you don’t like your cosy little boat being rocked by an intelligence that makes you feel inferior, that’s why you throw cliches around like “ pearls before swine “ because you think you’re better and above everyone else.

That’s why you deserve to be called out for being a snob.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Walker wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:11 pm Anyway, back to the key point:

"There can be no consciousness without awareness, but there can be awareness without consciousness ..."
- Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

Non-intellectual meditation reveals the truth of this observation for oneself.
Awareness and Consciousness are the one and the same emptiness appearing full.

During sleep, aka not- knowingness….consciousness ( aka the knowledge I exist, or the sense of being) dissolves into awareness, which is emptiness. Awareness is just another word for nothing or emptiness, it’s primordial, it is the original state, that which is without end or beginning.

To state there is awareness without consciousness is not exactly right, because to know there is awareness at all requires a consciousness.Therefore both awareness and consciousness are one and the same stateless state. Purely interdependent, therefore do not exist independently.

So this was just a modern day update of the truth. A more evolved intelligent approach to the matter.

Walker

Post by Walker »

Wrong.

It is as Sri Nisargadatta says.

I invite you to research "objectless awareness," before spouting off further, and although it's a non-intellectual understanding, or rather apprehension, intellectually explained as well as the ineffable can be after the fact, it's also well known throughout the annals of time *.

* Don't get to say that much.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Walker wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:05 pm Wrong.

It is as Sri Nisargadatta says.

I invite you to research "objectless awareness," before spouting off further, and although it's a non-intellectual understanding, or rather apprehension, intellectually explained as well as the ineffable can be after the fact, it's also well known throughout the annals of time *.

Wrong again.

There's no such thing as 'objectless awareness', the very idea implies it's opposite.

Dig deeper.

I don't need an invite to my own show but thanks all the same.

The silly gurus are like the bible bashers, always trying to sell bullshit to anyone who will listen.

There is absolutely nothing known except in this conception, a story woven out of your own annal, known as knowledge on demand, known as memory, where nothing lives .
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Walker wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:05 pm

Excellent, because spongebob squarepants is not really interested in your fables.
Walker

Post by Walker »

“When you know that your watch shows correct time, you do not hesitate each time you consult it.”

Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Walker wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:30 am .

“When you know that your watch shows correct time, you do not hesitate each time you consult it.”

Hahahahahahahaha! that is so funny.

Imagine that, consulting an inanimate object that knows what time it is, because you don't.

Q: How does an inanimate object know?
A: ????
Walker

Post by Walker »

What he’s saying is, when you know who you are, you know reality.

The journey to understanding personal metaphor deficiency begins with a first step ...

Life is different for people who think in metaphors
https://digest.bps.org.uk/2015/10/21/li ... metaphors/
Walker

Post by Walker »

"Mind is interested in what happens, while awareness is interested in the mind itself. The child is after the toy, but the mother watches the child, not the toy."

Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Walker wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:58 am What he’s saying is, when you know who you are, you know reality.

What he is saying is that nothing knows reality. Nothing knows itself…right?

There is no “you” because there’s no other than “you” right?

——————

“The person is merely the result of a misunderstanding. In reality, there is no such thing.

Feelings, thoughts and actions race before the watcher in endless succession, leaving traces in the brain and creating an illusion of continuity.

A reflection of the watcher in the mind creates the sense of “I” and the person acquires an apparently independent existence.

In reality there is no person, only the watcher identifying himself with the ‘I’ and the ‘mine’.”

Taken from I Am That by Nisargadatta Maharaj

In other words all one can do is report ones being. And that’s it, that’s all one can do.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Walker wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:12 am "Mind is interested in what happens, while awareness is interested in the mind itself. The child is after the toy, but the mother watches the child, not the toy."

Mind can only focus on itself, namely the object of its desire, there is nothing else it can focus on.

The mind, is a myth, since it’s an inanimate object known by no thing knowing itself as an object.

Knowing an object conceptually, but never experiencing itself as the object known, for what is known cannot know anything.
Walker

Post by Walker »

"The person is merely the result of a misunderstanding. In reality, there is no such thing. Feelings, thoughts and actions race before the watcher in endless succession, leaving traces in the brain and creating an illusion of continuity. A reflection of the watcher in the mind creates the sense of ‘I’ and the person acquires an apparently independent existence. In reality there is no person, only the watcher identifying himself with the ‘I’ and the ‘mine’. The teacher tells the watcher: you are not this, there is nothing of yours in this, except the little point of ‘I am’, which is the bridge between the watcher and his dream. ‘I am this, I am that’ is dream, while pure ‘I am’ has the stamp of reality on it. You have tasted so many things — all came to naught. Only the sense ‘I am’ persisted — unchanged. Stay with the changeless among the changeful, until you are able to go beyond."

Walker

Post by Walker »

Questioner: You keep on saying that I was never born and will never die. If so, how is it that I see the world as one which has been born and will surely die?

Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj: You believe so because you have never questioned your belief that you are the body which, obviously, is born and dies. While alive, it attracts attention and fascinates so completely that rarely does one perceive one’s real nature. It is like seeing the surface of the ocean and completely forgetting the immensity beneath. The world is but the surface of the mind and the mind is infinite. What we call thoughts are just ripples in the mind. When the mind is quiet it reflects reality. When it is motionless through and through, it dissolves and only reality remains. This reality is so concrete, so actual, so much more tangible than mind and matter, that compared to it even diamond is soft like butter. This overwhelming actuality makes the world dream-like, misty, irrelevant.
Walker

Post by Walker »

"The light of consciousness passes through the film of memory and throws pictures on your brain. Because of the deficient and disordered state of your brain, what you perceive is distorted and coloured by feelings of like and dislike. Make your thinking orderly and free from emotional overtones, and you will see people and things as they are, with clarity and charity."

Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

"I am not a man, I am not a woman.
Neither a saint, nor a god.
I am not the body, I am not the mind.
I am not a person of any kind.
Neither the self, nor the soul.
But much, much deeper than a black hole.
I am nothing.
I am nothing but everything.
Because everything is nothing.
And nothing is everything."