The thoughts of Nisargadatta Maharaj

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Walker

Re: The thoughts of Nisargadatta Maharaj

Post by Walker »

Sri Nisargadatta: Usually you have to be sad to know gladness and glad to know sadness. True happiness is uncaused and this cannot disappear for lack of stimulation. It is not the opposite of sorrow, it includes all sorrow and suffering.

Question: How can one remain happy among so much suffering?

Sri Nisargadatta: One cannot help it — the inner happiness is overwhelmingly real. Like the sun in the sky, its expressions may be clouded, but it is never absent.
Walker

Post by Walker »

“Awareness is primordial; it is the original state, beginningless, endless, uncaused, unsupported, without parts, without change. Consciousness is on contact, a reflection against a surface, a state of duality. There can be no consciousness without awareness, but there can be awareness without consciousness, as in deep sleep. Awareness is absolute, consciousness is relative to its content; consciousness is always of something. Consciousness is partial and changeful, awareness is total, changeless, calm and silent. And it is the common matrix of every experience.”

- Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Walker wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:13 pm Sri Nisargadatta: Usually you have to be sad to know gladness and glad to know sadness. True happiness is uncaused and this cannot disappear for lack of stimulation. It is not the opposite of sorrow, it includes all sorrow and suffering.

Question: How can one remain happy among so much suffering?

Sri Nisargadatta: One cannot help it — the inner happiness is overwhelmingly real. Like the sun in the sky, its expressions may be clouded, but it is never absent.
Absolute Bullshit.

The sun is not an aware sentient feeling entity, there is no comparison there to be made. The comparison is to fool the weak minded, vulnerable and gullible into buying a fake idea. It's an emotionally charged pile of claptrap sold to idiots.

If there is any happiness in life at all, it's here because pain, sorrow and suffering is temporally absent, else happiness is a meaningless word. Imagine having to maintain a permanent feeling of happiness as though one was immune to pain, sorrow and suffering which are in fact a very permanent feature of life for every sentient feeling entity.

So yeah, lets all just be happy we are suffering sorrowful beings...lets all just be grateful and thankful for our suffering and sorrow, and while we're at it, lets make more of it every time we procreate, yeah, lets keep it all going because we just love our suffering so much the irresistible urge to keep it going is overwhelming considering there is the rewarding bonus of a never absent permanent happiness feature of being alive. Yeah, lets invite others to join our loving our suffering party ( ''lets all be grateful, and dance and sing and celebrate the forever non-absence of happiness that can be found in our pains, sorrows and sufferings '' )

What a load of CRAP!!

Spiritual people are barking up the wrong tree, they are wrong on every level.
I personally used to buy into all this bullshit myself. Up until I had my head turned to what's really happening here, I came face to face with the real truth, the actual truth, the truth that no man is willing to accept. That is why humanity continues to exist in it's refusal to face the real bare raw truth about reality for sentient feeling beings.

Trying to sell happiness in the vein of a permanent fixture, is a vain attempt to disguise sorrow and suffering as something to be avoided in favor of a permanent solution. Of course the gurus would say that, they are trying to deny the actual cold brutal horror that is real reality.

Gurus are just like ordinary people, they are in total denial of what it really means to be alive. They pray on the vulnerable and the scared. Laughing all the way to the bank. Humans are just incapable of accepting their raw natural nature.

Just imagine if you had lion consciousness, then see how happy you can feel while you are having the skin torn from your back in an attack by other lions.

Walker

Post by Walker »

Dontaskme wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:14 am Gurus are just like ordinary people ...
You are likely referencing a satguru, which is often called a guru, and of which you are obviously ignorant.

A guru is a teacher. If your pet pig teaches you things, such as the ins and outs of “crap,” it is a guru to you, but not a satguru.

“I shall tell you how my Guru’s Guru died. After announcing that his end was nearing, he stopped eating, without changing the routine of his daily life. On the eleventh day, at prayer time he was singing and clapping vigorously and suddenly died! Just like that, between two movements, like a blown out candle. Everybody dies as he lives. I am not afraid of death, because I am not afraid of life. I live a happy life and shall die a happy death. Misery is to be born, not to die. All depends how you look at it.”
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Walker wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:27 am
Dontaskme wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:14 am Gurus are just like ordinary people ...
You are likely referencing a satguru, which is often called a guru, and of which you are obviously ignorant.

A guru is a teacher. If your pet pig teaches you things, such as the ins and outs of “crap,” it is a guru to you, but not a satguru.

“I shall tell you how my Guru’s Guru died. After announcing that his end was nearing, he stopped eating, without changing the routine of his daily life. On the eleventh day, at prayer time he was singing and clapping vigorously and suddenly died! Just like that, between two movements, like a blown out candle. Everybody dies as he lives. I am not afraid of death, because I am not afraid of life. I live a happy life and shall die a happy death. Misery is to be born, not to die. All depends how you look at it.”
More emotional delusion. Total denial of reality.

Life is fine until it's not going your way. Yes, we can endure our personal health problems, we all suffer them, and what choice do we have but to endure them, it's not like we can just kill ourselves by adopting a total disrespect for life, and the suffering that would cause others who have to clean up our mess.

Just try walking down a dark unlit back alley late at night alone and tell yourself you are not afraid to do that.

Or Just imagine your own child lying critically wounded on the battle field floor thinking about his wife and baby whom he might never see again. Imagine what that feeling of impending doom must really feel like, I guess it actually feels so blissful, and it was an absolute privilege and pleasure to experience.
Last edited by Dontaskme on Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Walker

Post by Walker »

People react to certain doom in different ways, depending upon how life was lived. Many feel great peace, your imaginings notwithstanding.

In The Right Stuff, Tom Wolfe wrote of test pilots flying straight into the ground, all the while objectively vocalizing counter-measure attempts for posterity, to improve the machine which was their job, professionals 'till the end.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Dontaskme wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:43 am
Just try walking down a dark unlit back alley late at night alone and tell yourself you are not afraid to do that.
Please do try to not be impossibly moronic. So far your level of discourse is that of an insulting baboon.

Why would you be in such a situation? If it's unavoidable, there are ways to harness the energy of fear to advantage.

If it’s avoidable and deliberately sought because of the fear, then it is a spiritual practice which has been identified and codified.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Walker wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:06 am
Please do try to not be impossibly moronic. So far your level of discourse is that of an insulting baboon.
You are insulted by your own natural raw nature. It's normal to be insulted for those who reject and are in denial of actually reality, the way is really is.

You have no way to address any of the issues I raise. Your answers and solutions are to throw rocks at the mirror.

No one is your teacher. No one can teach you what you already know, especially sentient feeling experiences such as pain and pleasure.

Teachers are for knowledge, such as basic reading and writing, aka how to use language skills needed to function as a communication tool with other people.

Any sentient being knows instinctively that pain, sorrow and suffering is a bad idea, animals will avoid it automatically, sentience does not need to be taught that pain is bad and pleasure is good.

There is no such state as permanent happiness that can erase suffering and sorrow from existence.

Resistance is futile, I prefer to live in the real world, not in the fake world of ''I'm going to sell you some permanent non-absent happiness'' claptrap.

Walker

Post by Walker »

“The essence of saintliness is total acceptance of the present moment, harmony with things as they happen. A saint does not want things to be different from what they are; he knows that, considering all factors, they are unavoidable. He is friendly with the inevitable and, therefore, does not suffer. Pain he may know, but it does not shatter him. If he can, he does the needful to restore the lost balance — or he lets things take their course.”

Walker

Post by Walker »

Dontaskme wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:29 am
You are insulted by your own natural raw nature. It's normal to be insulted for those who reject and are in denial of actually reality, the way is really is.
Insulting baboons don't insult me at all. I simply watch them, and you, throw shit.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Walker wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:27 am

“I shall tell you how my Guru’s Guru died. After announcing that his end was nearing, he stopped eating, without changing the routine of his daily life.
That's how animals die all the time, and almost all intelligent and honest aware humans choose to die alone with dignity and grace, unaided. Animals mostly hide away when they are near death to die alone far away from other prying eyes.

The only difference between animal death and human death, is humans can pretend death is a happy event, since it's just the end of their happy life, the one they have imagined to be real. It's total emotionally charged Bullshit.

If death is a happy event as the person as lived, then why do their friends and family mourn their passing so much.Do the ones left behind celebrate by singing and dancing, and clapping vigorously at the death of their still born children? That's basically what Is being suggested here. Or does one have to have lived a life first before one can place purpose and value on it's existence. Why would one grieve a stillborn infant that has not even experienced a life. Yeah, so lets talk about the misery self...

You really are the ignorant one here. You have bought into the 'happiness state' that does not exist anywhere in nature whatsoever, it's a human fucking made up idea, that you people keep falling for hook line and sinker.

Walker wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:27 am On the eleventh day, at prayer time he was singing and clapping vigorously and suddenly died! Just like that, between two movements, like a blown out candle. Everybody dies as he lives. I am not afraid of death, because I am not afraid of life. I live a happy life and shall die a happy death. Misery is to be born, not to die. All depends how you look at it.”
Last edited by Dontaskme on Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Walker wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:36 am
Dontaskme wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:29 am
Insulting baboons don't insult me at all. I simply watch them, and you, throw shit.
Err, I think You are insulted. . else you'd just watch it, and be silent. But no, you have to protect and defend something you think is precious, you hate to have your precious insulted. So you throw rocks at the mirror because you don't like what you are seeing.
If it didn't insult you .. you would remain silent...in your permanent state of bliss and happinesss. But you cannot just sit there and remain silent, you choose to get involved because you are trying to defend some dumb theory that the raw nature of life can just be ignored..

Resistance is futile. I can call you out on your own bullshit all day, and you'll still refuse to accept it, because you are just like every other pig rolling around in it's own mess, you enjoy the pursuit, it takes two to tango.

Walker

Post by Walker »

Not at all insulting to me. You only insult yourself. Why should your ignorance insult me, or anyone?

As far as calling me, or anyone, out on what you perceive as bullshit ... you have yet to do that anywhere, to anyone.

Slinging shit doesn't call out anyone or anything at any time.

The two that your shit-slinging tango requires is you the thrower, and most any target.
Walker

Post by Walker »

"Why should a liberated man necessarily follow conventions? The moment he becomes predictable, he cannot be free. His freedom lies in his being free to fulfil [sic] the need of the moment, to obey the necessity of the situation. Freedom to do what one likes is really bondage, while being free to do what one must*, what is right, is real freedom."

* Boldface added for emphasis.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Anyway, back to the key point:

"There can be no consciousness without awareness, but there can be awareness without consciousness ..."

Non-intellectual meditation reveals the truth of this observation for oneself.