The thoughts of Nisargadatta Maharaj

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dontaskme

Re: The thoughts of Nisargadatta Maharaj

Post by Dontaskme »

You cannot know anything without being conscious of that knowing.

All knowing is within consciousness itself, one with the knowing.

I don't talk about knowledge, I talk about consciousness that cannot be known.

Knowledge is in the dream of separation where everything there is to learn is possible. It's the place of experience in all its diversity and flavour.

My interest is purely on that which is experiencing itself, aka consciousness.

One doesn't have to learn how to be conscious, or how to be being. That's a given, so my assignment is to understand how and what knows what is consciousness and being...everything else is just a free ride on the back of that, its secondary knowledge.

Last edited by Dontaskme on Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Greta

Post by Greta »

Dontaskme wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:51 pm
Greta wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:44 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:11 amScience goes round in circles too, don't make science your God of the all knowing, science has no clue as to what is Consciousness.
This is just garble.

Science isn't a deity, science is not any of the things you claim it is. Science is simply what you do as a child when you are curious. Some people remain curious and want to keep exploring and learning. Others like to think they already have all the answers they need and are not much interested in learning anything new.
Its a curious thing the mind... it depends on what you are looking for in life. What do you want out of life, and what is of most value to you as a unique expression of being.
You seen to have this weird idea that if one chooses not to be a ''somebody'' with an autonomous status with letters after their name, then they are just a piece of lazy trash unwilling to learn anything. But perhaps some people consciously choose to be a nobody. Can you acept that?
You have a special gift for wrongness. I was a high school dropout and the only time I saw the inside of a university was to play tennis on some campus courts near my old workplace. However, unlike you, I enjoy learning about all manner of things, especially nature.

You have many times made clear you are not at all interested in accessing the knowledge gained by your fellow human beings. Why? You have made that clear on the forum many times too - because you do not value their perceptions. You believe that other people have a delusional sense of reality and that you are one of the few who is on track.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Greta wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:44 pm You have a special gift for wrongness. I was a high school dropout and the only time I saw the inside of a university was to play tennis on some campus courts near my old workplace. However, unlike you, I enjoy learning about all manner of things, especially nature.

You have many times made clear you are not at all interested in accessing the knowledge gained by your fellow human beings. Why? You have made that clear on the forum many times too - because you do not value their perceptions. You believe that other people have a delusional sense of reality and that you are one of the few who is on track.
All this is a mental interpretation of what you believe to be correct in your thinking. There is absolutely nothing I can do to change your thoughts, nor do I even want to or care to do so, because they are not my thoughts, even though your desire to project them as being mine is clearly evident.

My world is my unique view, and there is nothing you can say or do to change my view to your view, not even by imprinting your own world view over mine to make it look like mine, is not going to make one single change to my own unique world view.

Greta

Post by Greta »

Dontaskme wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:51 pmYou seen to have this weird idea that if one chooses not to be a ''somebody'' with an autonomous status with letters after their name, then they are just a piece of lazy trash unwilling to learn anything.
Greta wrote:You have a special gift for wrongness. I was a high school dropout and the only time I saw the inside of a university was to play tennis on some campus courts near my old workplace.
Dontaskme wrote:All this is a mental interpretation of what you believe to be correct in your thinking.
Thank you for that important piece of information.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Greta wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:01 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:51 pmYou seen to have this weird idea that if one chooses not to be a ''somebody'' with an autonomous status with letters after their name, then they are just a piece of lazy trash unwilling to learn anything.
Greta wrote:You have a special gift for wrongness. I was a high school dropout and the only time I saw the inside of a university was to play tennis on some campus courts near my old workplace.
Dontaskme wrote:All this is a mental interpretation of what you believe to be correct in your thinking.
Thank you for that important piece of information.
Projecting at others is always wrong...there are no others external to you.

We all project because consciousness and it’s contents is the projector projecting itself like a mirror ball.

It’s always right being wrong..but it’s never wrong being right.

surreptitious57

Post by surreptitious57 »

Dontaskme wrote:
I dont care if I die because I have put all my energy into the learning of new things and one of those things is the knowledge of myself the
knowledge of what it is to be alive in the first place. I am already alive so that is a given now all I have to do is discover who is alive. Now
I know my self so there is no fear of death in me I have nothing to lose or gain by being. I am just being. And if the desire to learn to be a
pilot is on my agenda to experience then so be it its what will happen. Its no big deal what will be will be
I am the same myself. I have no fear of death at all and what gives my life meaning while I am still here is knowledge acquisition. I want to
learn as much as I can right up until the time comes to make the inevitable transition from consciousness to non consciousness. Whereupon
I will return to the state where I was before I was conceived and remain there free from all suffering forever
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

surreptitious57 wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:58 am
I am the same myself. I have no fear of death at all and what gives my life meaning while I am still here is knowledge acquisition. I want to
learn as much as I can right up until the time comes to make the inevitable transition from consciousness to non consciousness. Whereupon
I will return to the state where I was before I was conceived and remain there free from all suffering forever
Well, there is no I to suffer or die ..except the dreamt conscious I ...so only when the conscious I dies consciously...does it re-enter unconsciousness from which it never really entered or left.

-1-

Post by -1- »

Greta wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:23 am
-1- wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:24 am... her speech is full of religious innuendos and godly undertones.
She was in a state of extraordinary bliss and peacefulness and she used emotional (not necessarily religious) language.

Her point is just that reality itself offers these wonderful states that many have never known, just as she'd not experienced such a state before. You don't need to believe in anything, and her talk makes it clear.
These precisely are the religious undertones in her talk that I alluded to: The not necessarily religious, but potentially religious language and ideology.

If you listen to her more attentively, she will bring up more precise innuendos. If you don't need to believe anything, you don't need to believe her, either. She is patently wrong in that point. You (or anyone else) has GOT to believe in something, before knowledge sets in, and in many cases the only knowledge is belief. Such as the real world in human's perception. I don't know if there is a real world out there, but I believe there is. "Many know, manier don't, that to believe is stronger than to know."

Or perhaps she has had more than one speech recorded, and the old ones, for which she's got flack, got deleted.

I can't be bothered to check it again.
Greta

Post by Greta »

-1- wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:57 am
Greta wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:23 am
-1- wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:24 am... her speech is full of religious innuendos and godly undertones.
She was in a state of extraordinary bliss and peacefulness and she used emotional (not necessarily religious) language.

Her point is just that reality itself offers these wonderful states that many have never known, just as she'd not experienced such a state before. You don't need to believe in anything, and her talk makes it clear.
These precisely are the religious undertones in her talk that I alluded to: The not necessarily religious, but potentially religious language and ideology.

If you listen to her more attentively, she will bring up more precise innuendos. If you don't need to believe anything, you don't need to believe her, either. She is patently wrong in that point. You (or anyone else) has GOT to believe in something, before knowledge sets in, and in many cases the only knowledge is belief. Such as the real world in human's perception. I don't know if there is a real world out there, but I believe there is. "Many know, manier don't, that to believe is stronger than to know."

Or perhaps she has had more than one speech recorded, and the old ones, for which she's got flack, got deleted.

I can't be bothered to check it again.
"Bliss" and "peace" are not religious words or concepts. They are part of regular language associated with being alive that's been associated with religions. Of course religious leaders wanted to associate their organisations with such language; it makes them look good.

However, theists do not have a mortgage on words describing the beauty of life. People/life owns these concepts and words despite the theistic hijack; they are not being borrowed from religions but reclaimed. It's those who care least about what theist opinions - such as atheist neuroscientist Jill B-T - who are most likely to use words like "bliss" because they don't acknowledge theism's attempts to own those concepts.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Satchitananda

Question: “I can see now that sat* and chit** are one. But what about bliss (ananda)? Being and consciousness are always present together, but bliss flashes only occasionally.”

Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj: “The undisturbed state of being is bliss; the disturbed state is what appears as the world. In non-duality there is bliss; in duality - experience. What comes and goes is experience with its duality of pain and pleasure. Bliss is not to be known. One is always bliss, but never blissful. Bliss is not an attribute.”

* being
** consciousness
Walker

Post by Walker »

“Let us not proceed by verbal logic. The bliss of reality does not exclude suffering. Besides, you know only pleasure, not the bliss of pure being. So let us examine pleasure at its own level.

“If you look at yourself in your moments of pleasure or pain, you will invariably find that it is not the thing in itself that is pleasant or painful, but the situation of which it is a part. Pleasure lies in the relationship between the enjoyer and the enjoyed. And the essence of it is acceptance. Whatever may be the situation, if it is acceptable, it is pleasant. If it is not acceptable, it is painful. What makes it acceptable is not important; the cause may be physical, or psychological, or untraceable; acceptance is the decisive factor. Obversely, suffering is due to non-acceptance.”

- Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

Here’s the paradox of life created by false limitations of verbal logic.

If you must fight to resist, then you accept that you must fight to resist.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Question: We are told of the bliss of non-duality.

Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj: Such bliss is more of the nature of a great peace. Pleasure and pain are the fruits of actions — righteous and unrighteous.
Walker

Post by Walker »

"What is beautiful? Whatever is perceived blissfully is beautiful. Bliss is the essence of beauty."
- Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

So, bliss is not an attribute.
Bliss is an essence.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Ramu wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:08 pm
Walker wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:18 am
Dontaskme wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:05 pm “… in the stillness of the mind I saw myself as I am — unbound …”
I can't find the source.
Do you know where it's from?
Source is from nowhere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8scSwaKbE64

:wink:
Luxin

Post by Luxin »

Inappropriate, deleted.
Last edited by Luxin on Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.