The thoughts of Nisargadatta Maharaj

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Walker

Re: The thoughts of Nisargadatta Maharaj

Post by Walker »

“If you want to sin, sin wholeheartedly and openly. Sins too have their lessons to teach the earnest sinner, as virtues — the earnest saint. It is the mixing up the two that is so disastrous. Nothing can block you so effectively as compromise, for it shows lack of earnestness, without which nothing can be done.”

- Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
Walker

Post by Walker »

“Whatever name you give it: will, or steady purpose, or one-pointedness of the mind, you come back to earnestness, sincerity, honesty. When you are in dead earnest, you tend every incident, every second of your life to your purpose. You, do not waste time and energy on other things. You are totally dedicated, call it will, or love, or plain honesty. We are complex beings, at war within and without. We contradict ourselves all the time, undoing today the work of yesterday. No wonder we are stuck. A little of integrity would make a lot of difference.”

Walker

Post by Walker »

Total trust is where the Western Mind falls short, but the sage says any way is fine.

No way is short or long, but some people are more in earnest and some are less. I can tell you about myself. I was a simple man, but I trusted my Guru. What he told me to do, I did. He told me to concentrate on ‘I am’ — I did. He told me that I am beyond all perceivables and conceivables — I believed. I gave him my heart and soul, my entire attention and the whole of my spare time (I had to work to keep my family alive). As a result of faith and earnest application, I realized my self (swarupa) within three years.

You may choose any way that suits you; your earnestness will determine the rate of progress.

Walker

Post by Walker »

“I shall tell you how my Guru’s Guru died. After announcing that his end was nearing, he stopped eating, without changing the routine of his daily life. On the eleventh day, at prayer time he was singing and clapping vigorously and suddenly died! Just like that, between two movements, like a blown out candle. Everybody dies as he lives.”
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

“Since at any point of time and space I can be both the subject and the object of experience, I express it by saying that I am
both, and neither, and beyond both.”

Nisargadatta Maharaj
Walker

Post by Walker »

As Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj says, love is the meaning and purpose of duality (the relative condition).

Commentary:

From love follows true insights.

For example, this appeared in consciousness from the ether:

To be not ruled by ego, means to be not ruled by any ego.
PeteJ

Post by PeteJ »

Dontaskme wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:07 pm “Since at any point of time and space I can be both the subject and the object of experience, I express it by saying that I am

Nisargadatta Maharaj
This is refreshing discussion. Your comments on love make me think you'd like the writings of Paul Ferrini. I expect you know Sri Ramana Maharshi, For the metaphysical explanation of your view there is Nagarjuna.

Quite why this sort of discussion does not go on in scientific consciousness studies or philosophy of mind is beyond me.
Walker

Post by Walker »

"I am now 74 years old. And yet I feel that I am an infant. I feel
clearly that in spite of all the changes I am a child. My Guru told
me: that child, which is you even now, is your real self (swarupa).

"Go back to that state of pure being, where the ‘I am’ is still in its
purity before it got contaminated with ‘this I am’ or ‘that I am’.
Your burden is of false self-identifications — abandon them all.

"My Guru told me — ‘Trust me. I tell you; you are divine. Take it
as the absolute truth. Your joy is divine, your suffering is divine
too. All comes from God. Remember it always. You are God,
your will alone is done’. I did believe him and soon realized how
wonderfully true and accurate were his words.

"I did not condition my mind by thinking: ‘I am God, I am wonderful, I am
beyond’. I simply followed his instruction which was to focus the
mind on pure being ‘I am’, and stay in it. I used to sit for hours
together, with, nothing but the ‘I am’ in my mind and soon
peace and joy and a deep all-embracing love became my nor-
mal state. In it all disappeared — myself, my Guru, the life I
lived, the world around me. Only peace remained and un-
fathomable silence."

Walker

Post by Walker »

PeteJ wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:46 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:07 pm “Since at any point of time and space I can be both the subject and the object of experience, I express it by saying that I am

Nisargadatta Maharaj
This is refreshing discussion. Your comments on love make me think you'd like the writings of Paul Ferrini. I expect you know Sri Ramana Maharshi, For the metaphysical explanation of your view there is Nagarjuna.

Quite why this sort of discussion does not go on in scientific consciousness studies or philosophy of mind is beyond me.
"For the metaphysical explanation of your view there is Nagarjuna."

Si. Both Sri Ramana Maharshi and Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj directed their attention more to daily life than metaphysics.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Walker wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:30 pm
PeteJ wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:46 pm

Nisargadatta Maharaj

"For the metaphysical explanation of your view there is Nagarjuna."

Si. Both Sri Ramana Maharshi and Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj directed their attention more to daily life than metaphysics.
Attention is always upon an object. The objective world is all that's apparently real.

While the screen goes unnoticed. Although, the screen doesn't care about going unnoticed since there would be no object without it.

Screens are not vain, whereas objectivity is all vanity and entertainment for the screen, the screen has the last laugh,metaphysically speaking.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

“Your expectation of something unique and dramatic, of some wonderful explosion, is merely hindering and delaying your Self Realization. You are not to expect an explosion, for the explosion has already happened - at the moment when you were born, when you realized yourself as Being-Knowing-Feeling. There is only one mistake you are making: you take the inner for the outer and the outer for the inner. What is in you, you take to be outside you and what is outside, you take to be in you. The mind and feelings are external, but you take them to be intimate. You believe the world to be objective, while it is entirely a projection of your psyche. That is the basic confusion and no new explosion will set it right! You have to think yourself out of it. There is no other way.”
― Nisargadatta Maharaj
Walker

Post by Walker »

Dontaskme wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:16 amYou have to think yourself out of it. There is no other way.”
― Nisargadatta Maharaj
Watch your thoughts as you watch the street traffic. People
come and go; you register without response. It may not be easy
in the beginning, but with some practice you will find that your
mind can function on many levels at the same time and you can
be aware of them all. It is only when you have a vested interest
in any particular level, that your attention gets caught in it and
you black out on other levels. Even then the work on the blacked
out levels goes on, outside the field of consciousness. Do not
struggle with your memories and thoughts; try only to include in
your field of attention the other, more important questions, like
‘Who am I?’ ‘How did I happen to be born?’ ‘Whence this uni-
verse around me?’. ‘What is real and what is momentary?’
― Nisargadatta Maharaj
Walker

Post by Walker »

Most of people’s activities are valueless, if not outright destructive. Dominated by desire and fear, they can do nothing good. Ceasing to do evil precedes beginning to do good. Hence the need for stopping all activities for a time, to investigate one’s urges and their motives, see all that is false in one’s life, purge the mind of all evil and then only restart work, beginning with one’s obvious duties. Of course, if you have a chance to help somebody, by all means do it and promptly too, don’t keep him waiting till you are perfect. But do not become a professional do-gooder.

Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

"The final truth, as Ramana Maharshi and Nisargadatta Maharaj and all the sages before them have clearly stated, is that there is neither creation nor destruction, neither birth nor death, neither destiny nor free will, neither any path nor any achievement. All there is is Consciousness."

"What is the significance of the statement 'No one can get enlightenment'? This is the very root of the teaching. It means that it's stupid for any so-called master to ask anyone to do anything to achieve or get enlightenment. The core of this simple statement means, according to my concept, that enlightenment is the annihilation of the "one" who "wants" enlightenment. If there is enlightenment - which can only happen because it is the will of God - then it means the "one" who had earlier wanted enlightenment has been annihilated. So no "one" can achieve enlightenment and therefore no "one" can enjoy enlightenment."
"The joke is even the surrendering is not in your control. Why? Because so long as there is an individual who says "I surrender" there is a surrenderer, an individual ego... What I'm saying is that even the surrendering is not in [your] hands."

"Where is the "me"? The "me" is always associated with the body and the body as seen through the microscope is nothing but a play of cells being created and destroyed."

"Truth or Reality is itself a concept. When you are in the truth or in deep sleep, which is only a pale reflection of the real, in that state of deep sleep is the Truth. And in that Truth there is no experience. In the waking state, the state of deep sleep is a concept. In deep sleep it is the Truth. But the moment you think of Reality, the moment you think Subject, the moment you think of the Absolute, the moment you think of the Truth, it is a concept. It is only when the thinking totally stops that Truth exists."

"When we talk of time and space, we say infinite space and eternal time. It is still a mental concept of total space and total time. But the mind cannot conceive of that state prior to the arising of the space-time. The moment you think of Reality, the reality is a concept. You are the Reality of which the split-mind makes a concept. You are the Reality, but not as the "me"

"It's very simple. Don't think about what you have heard here. Just don't think about what you think you've understood. And then that understanding will have a chance to flower. But the more you think about what you have understood, the more it's wasted."

"All there is, is Consciousness. And the mind is merely a reflection of that Consciousness."

Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »