The thoughts of Nisargadatta Maharaj

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

surreptitious57

Re: The thoughts of Nisargadatta Maharaj

Post by surreptitious57 »

Dontaskme wrote:
I had to walk away from it all I deliberately and consciously chose the serenity of living the solitude mind set not the lonely aloneness of isolation from the world I still interact with the world because I have a large family to think about and so I am talking about the internal solitude where no
thing bothers me anymore not even poverty or illness or death .. or anything at all I got rid of all my material possessions so more energy could flow through my house which I now own. So my life is permanent bliss everyday the way it is meant to be. I want nothing and lack nothing. My house is falling to bits like they do and the interior is like something out of the stone age but I dont care about that either. I am not the money
pit kind of person. Just basic shelter and food and warmth and a nice cosy bed to sleep in
I am very similar save that I have no family and so am more isolated than you. I am materialistic but only in a basic sense. I have no fear of death and I am as free as I have ever been. I am now more at peace with the world and am less likely to impose my own view of how it should be upon it. Instead I try not to impose at all and just let things be. Death is the end of all suffering so I know am going to a better place when I do finally leave this world. Whatever happens to me between now and then is only temporary so I try not to worry about it too much
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

surreptitious57 wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 7:50 pm
I am very similar save that I have no family and so am more isolated than you.
We are always alone in our own aloneness. And other people are alone in their aloneness too. There is no possibility of ever being inside another persons experiencing.

When we come to terms and accept our and every other's forever aloneness, everything in the world suddenly becomes your friend and you are never alone again. Even the sound of the rolling ocean waves is your best friend, the purring of your beloved pet cat..all you ever dreamed of is here right now with you. Even someone being mean to you is your best friend because you just don't care about the meanness.
surreptitious57 wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 7:50 pm I have no fear of death and I am as free as I have ever been.
Death for me is like a sublime resting place to place my worn out weary body, a place where I await my next adventure or stay forever rested, what ever happens to appear..she is full of surprises .. :wink: :P

surreptitious57 wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 7:50 pm I am now more at peace with the world and am less likely to impose my own view of how it should be upon it.
And me, dying while alive is the best gift we can give to our self, suddenly everything in life becomes a magical place to be like being a character inside a Disney Film...life becomes effortless, sublime..every plant and animal is seen with eyes of pure awe and compassion and respect.
surreptitious57 wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 7:50 pm Instead I try not to impose at all and just let things be. Death is the end of all suffering so I know am going to a better place when I do finally leave this world. Whatever happens to me between now and then is only temporary so I try not to worry about it too much
For me personally, I can't think of a better place to be than to be right here in the kingdom of heaven which is planet earth and all it's sights and food and entertainments.

The people are a bit weird, but when it became clear to me that there was no one behind those eyeballs looking at me, is when they became an endless form of fascination as well.

Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

bahman wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 6:33 pm
How you could go to unbound mind state and then die?
Can you elaborate on what it is you are asking...sorry I can't quite make it out?

bahman

Post by bahman »

Dontaskme wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 12:57 pm
bahman wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 6:33 pm
How you could go to unbound mind state and then die?
Can you elaborate on what it is you are asking...sorry I can't quite make it out?

Unbound state is sort of God's state. I think you cannot die when you reach to this state.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

bahman wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 1:32 pm
Unbound state is sort of God's state. I think you cannot die when you reach to this state.
Oh yes, I understand now, thanks, I agree with that, very good.

Walker

Post by Walker »

Sri Nisargadatta’s answer to this question is true for everyone.

Q: What is right and what is wrong?

M: Relatively, what causes suffering is wrong, what alleviates it is right. Absolutely, what brings you back to reality is right and what dims reality is wrong.

- I Am That
Seek The Source of Consciousness
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Walker wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 4:23 am Sri Nisargadatta’s answer to this question is true for everyone.

Q: What is right and what is wrong?

M: Relatively, what causes suffering is wrong, what alleviates it is right. Absolutely, what brings you back to reality is right and what dims reality is wrong.

- I Am That
Seek The Source of Consciousness

:D
Suffering can end, but ''your'' suffering cannot end.
''You'' can be seen through,and then suffering is cut off at the root-it withers and dies effortlessly.

:wink:
Walker

Post by Walker »

“With the dissolution of the personal ‘I’ personal suffering disappears. What remains is the great sadness of compassion, the horror of the unnecessary pain.”

- I Am That
Abandon Memories and Expectations
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Walker wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 1:06 pm “With the dissolution of the personal ‘I’ personal suffering disappears. What remains is the great sadness of compassion, the horror of the unnecessary pain.”

- I Am That
Abandon Memories and Expectations
Said the long suffering wife of the Father :wink:

But yeah, sweet endurance, she endures, she was built for this.

Those who don’t feel this Love
Pulling them like a river,
Those who don’t drink dawn
Like a cup of spring water,
Or take in sunset like supper,
Those who don’t want to change,
Let them sleep.

This Love is beyond the study of theology,
That old trickery and hypocrisy.
If you want to improve your mind that way,
Sleep on.

I’ve given up on my brain.
I’ve torn the cloth to shreds
And thrown it away.
If you’re not completely naked,
Wrap your beautiful robe of words
Around you,
And sleep…

– Rumi
Walker

Post by Walker »

“Would people know that nothing can happen unless the entire universe makes it happen, they would achieve much more with less expenditure of energy.”

“The very urge to achieve is also an expression of the total universe. It merely shows that the energy potential has risen at a particular point. It is the illusion of time that makes you talk of causality. When the past and the future are seen in the timeless now, as parts of a common pattern, the idea of cause-effect loses its validity and creative freedom takes its place.”

- I Am That
Real World is Beyond the Mind
Walker

Post by Walker »

Another sage ...

“The following classification includes all of his (Sri Ramana Maharshi) more common synonyms and explains the implications of the various terms used.

1. “The Self This is the term that he used the most frequently. He defined it by saying that the real Self or real ‘I’ is, contrary to perceptible experience, not an experience of individuality* but a non-personal, all-inclusive awareness. It is not to be confused with the individual self which he said was essentially non-existent, being a fabrication of the mind which obscures the true experience of the real Self. He maintained that the real Self is always present and always experienced but he emphasized that one is only consciously aware of it as it really is when the self-limiting tendencies of the mind have ceased*. Permanent and continuous Self-awareness is known as Self-realisation.

2-7 …”

David Godman
Be As You Are, The Teachings of Sri Ramana Maharshi

*boldface added
Walker

Post by Walker »

“I feel there is a misunderstanding. By ‘accidental’ I mean something to which no known law applies. When I say everything is accidental, uncaused, I only mean that the causes and the laws according to which they operate are beyond our knowing, or even imagining. If you call what you take to be orderly, harmonious, predictable, to be natural, then what obeys higher laws and is moved by higher powers may be called spontaneous. Thus, we shall have two natural orders: the personal and predictable and the impersonal, or super-personal, and unpredictable. Call it lower nature and higher nature and drop the word accidental. As you grow in knowledge and insight, the borderline between lower and higher nature keeps on receding, but the two remain until they are seen as one. For, in fact, everything is most wonderfully inexplicable!”

Science deals with names and shapes, quantities and qualities, patterns and laws; it is all right in its own place. But life is to be lived; there is no time for analysis. The response must be instantaneous — hence the importance of the spontaneous, the timeless. It is in the unknown that we live and move. The known is the past.

- Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
Mind Causes Insecurity
I Am That
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

“ There is a difference between awareness as reflected in consciousness and pure awareness beyond consciousness. Reflected awareness, the sense “I am aware” is the witness, while pure awareness is the essence of reality. Reflection of the sun in a drop of water is a reflection of the sun, no doubt, but not the sun itself. Between awareness reflected in consciousness as the witness and pure awareness there is a gap, which the mind cannot cross.”

Nisargadatta. . . I Am That.

——————

Never the Twain shall meet.

Ramu

Post by Ramu »

Walker wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:18 am
Dontaskme wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:05 pm “… in the stillness of the mind I saw myself as I am — unbound …”
I can't find the source.
Do you know where it's from?
Source is from nowhere
Walker

Post by Walker »

“You don’t give meaning to the world, you find it.”

- Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj