The thoughts of Nisargadatta Maharaj

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Walker

Re: The thoughts of Nisargadatta Maharaj

Post by Walker »

Dontaskme wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:43 pm
Walker wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:02 pm You have something against butchers?

He's simply including Eskimos into his schemata.
You have something for conception?
How about, a perceived display of ignorance, if not bigotry, from classifying butchers as "sick," and "satanic."

Butchers are necessary to society.

Are you one of those extremists who also labels meat eaters as "sick" and "satanic?"

Nothing like a warm cup of blubber on a cold arctic night in the igloo, eh?
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Walker wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:09 am
Dontaskme wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:43 pm
Walker wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:02 pm You have something against butchers?

He's simply including Eskimos into his schemata.
You have something for conception?
How about, a perceived display of ignorance, if not bigotry, from classifying butchers as "sick," and "satanic."

Are you one of those extremists who also labels meat eaters as "sick" and "satanic?"

Life is a sick game played by sick people who love playing sick games, and to add to the sickness, they then think it is ok to impose their love for the blood of another onto the unborn.

When you know that eating yourself alive is a sick game, most intelligent people would not, if they were to really choose it, not want to indulge in such sickness.
Personally, I'd rather be left alone to bask in the eternal realm of the unborn forever and ever, thank you very much. So the fact that I have been dragged into this sick game, just forces me to have to play it. It never occurs to some people that it's a sick game, and that they could stop playing anytime they wanted...Hey, if you like playing the game of eating yourself alive, then whatever turns you on, just don't drag me into your addiction.

ALL sentient life has the same fear of impending doom and dread and they all squeal when they are being slaughted at the hands of another. As for me, I'd rather not join in with the squealing party, if it's all the same to you.

I think it is time to be more mindful of inviting others to join the squealing party. Especially when those others might not feel the same way about the idea as say those who do. It's not our place to assume others will enjoy this squealing game just because we do.

Imagine a child telling his parent he wants to be a soldier when he grows up, he wants to fight in wars, and wants to know what it feels like to be blown to pieces on the battlefield, and that his whole purpose for living was to feel the pain of dying from his injuries, well that's the stupid game people are playing on this earth, that's just one of many many other stupid dumb experiences we want to play while on this earth....well fine if that's what you call a wonderful way to live, just dont expect me to agree with you.

There is no fucking loving God, hello!!
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Walker wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:09 am

By the way, isn't it a bit extreme to lable someone as an ''extremist'' just for having an opinion that slaughtering sentient life forms is a sick thing to do? ... has that lable been indoctrinated into your mind, as something you are just mindlessly brainwashed to believe to exist? how awful, imagine living in a world full of extremists.

Nature is an unnecesary psycho killer because it doesn't have a brain or the intelligence to know it is a psycho killer. There is no necessary requirement that needs the need to butcher itself in order to exist. That life has evolved the way it has just proves what a mindless brutal cruel event life on earth really is.

Intelligence only evolved when the consciousness of the sentient organism reached a level of sophistication that meant it was able to fully comprehend that the sensation of sentience was to be able to experience the effects of pain and was able to inform itself that pain was a disgusting and vile sensation. Nature evolved to inform itself that life is suffering and that suffering is a bad idea. Humans have been in denial about this obvious obnoxious realisation. The idea that life is good only appeared to be the case when life is seen as not bad, good only became known in the brief absence of bad.. To live, and KNOW you live, as in be able to inform yourself that you are a feeling sentient organism is the intelligence to know that pain is always a bad idea, not good. Humans find a way to distract themselves from this obvious and actual truth that is nature which is totally void of all sense and reason and purpose, and that total boredom is feared by most humans and is why they attempt to distract themselves with the idea of pleasure and material things,money being most popular.

''In order to cope with this, we equip ourselves with “mechanisms for creating positive values that act as a defense (...) mechanisms that the human must constantly keep active against the advances of the diminishing being and its three types of friction.” (CABRERA, 2018) The positive values we create are able to postpone and mitigate different types of friction. They are even capable of making us forget our condition completely. But they don't make the frictions go away. So, it would be useless to be immortal, as these frictions will continue to exist. In the unlikely event that we are able to control physical and even emotional pain through future technologies, we would still continue to grapple with the other types of friction, such as boredom, which together with pain is the basic condition underlying human existence (SCHOPENHAUER, 2014, 2015).''

''At birth, human beings are endowed with a kind of decreasing being (or 'decaying' being), a being that starts to end as soon as it emerges, and whose final end can occur at any moment. From the moment they first appear, humans are affected by three kinds of frictions: physical pain (in the form of diseases, accidents and catastrophes to which they are always exposed); discouragement (in the form of a 'lack of will' to continue acting, from the simple tedium vitae to severe forms of depression); and, finally, exposure to the aggressive actions of other humans (in the form of discrimination, chatter, gossip, slander, exclusion, persecution, injustice, physical and psychological torture, and even extermination), themselves also subjected to the three types of friction. (CABRERA, 2018)''

All I have are my humble opinions...which doesn't mean I am an extremist incapable of compassion and empathy. :shock:
Walker

Post by Walker »

“The word itself is the bridge. Remember it, think of it, explore it, go round it, look at it from all directions, dive into it with earnest perseverance: endure all delays and disappointments till suddenly the mind turns round, away from the word, towards the reality beyond the word. It is like trying to find a person knowing his name only. A day comes when your enquiries bring you to him and the name becomes reality. Words are valuable, for between the word and its meaning there is a link and if one investigates the word assiduously, one crosses beyond the concept into the experience at the root of it.”

- Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
Walker

Post by Walker »

Words have their limited usefulness, but we put no limits to them and bring ourselves to the brink of disaster. Our noble ideas are finely balanced by ignoble actions. We talk of God, Truth and Love, but instead of direct experience we have definitions. Instead of enlarging and deepening action we chisel our definitions. And we imagine that we know what we can define!

Commentary:
Folks imagine to know not only what they can't define, but what they don't understand.
Folks also imagine in order to understand, as well as they can.
Walker

Post by Walker »

All I can say truly is: ‘I am’, all else is inference. But the inference has become a habit. Destroy all habits of thinking and seeing. The sense ‘I am’ is the manifestation of a deeper cause, which you may call self, God. Reality or by any other name. The ‘I am’ is in the world; but it is the key which can open the door out of the world. The moon dancing on the water is seen in the water; but it is caused by the moon in the sky and not by the water.

- Sri Nisargadatta

Commentary:

All I can say truly is: ‘I am’, all else is inference.

Q: Can one truly know more than one can truly say?

Walker

Post by Walker »

Love is the meaning and purpose of duality.

Commentary:

Accepting that premise as true for the purpose of analyzing the implications, and to compare the perceived implications to what one knows of the way things are, in other words to aim for philosophical objectivity … we can see that most of the troubles in the world stem from the corruption of the meaning, and purpose, of duality.

For the intellectually curious, this should lead to an enquiry, rather than an uncaring assumption, into what duality actually is.
Walker

Post by Walker »

“Don’t jump to conclusions rashly. The concrete need not be the real, the conceived need not be false. Perceptions based on sensations and shaped by memory imply a perceiver, whose nature you never cared to examine. Give it your full attention, examine it with loving care and you will discover heights and depths of being which you did not dream of, engrossed as you are in your puny image of yourself.”

Walker

Post by Walker »

“When you follow it up carefully from brain through consciousness to awareness, you find that the sense of duality persists. When you go beyond awareness, there is a state of non-duality, in which there is no cognition, only pure being, which may be as well called non-being, if by being you mean being something in particular.”

Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

Comment:
Accomplished meditators, the accomplishment being the suspension of thoughts, can verify the accuracy of this observation.

However if this state, “which may as well be called a non-experience,” is not physically known by the body, then dualism cannot comprehend what cannot be dualistically expressed.
Walker

Post by Walker »

"Pleasure and pain lost their sway over me. I was free from desire and fear. I found myself full, needing nothing. I saw that in the ocean of pure awareness, on the surface of the universal consciousness, the numberless waves of the phenomenal worlds arise and subside beginninglessly and endlessly. As consciousness, they are all me. As events they are all mine. There is a mysterious power that looks after them. That power is awareness, Self, Life, God, whatever name you give it. It is the foundation, the ultimate support of all that is, just like gold is the basis for all gold jewellery. And it is so intimately ours! Abstract the name and shape from the jewellery and the gold becomes obvious. Be free of name and form and of the desires and fears they create, then what remains?"

Walker

Post by Walker »

“When more people come to know their real nature, their influence, however subtle, will prevail and the world’s emotional atmosphere will sweeten up. People follow their leaders and when among the leaders appear some, great in heart and mind, and absolutely free from self-seeking, their impact will he enough to make the crudities and crimes of the present age impossible. A new golden age may come and last for a time and succumb to its own perfection. For, ebb begins when the tide is at its highest.”

Walker

Post by Walker »

Question/Comment: Nature kills by the millions, but this does not frighten me. There may be tragedy or mystery in it, but no cruelty. What horrifies me is man-made suffering, destruction and desolation. Nature is magnificent in its doings and undoing. But there is meanness and madness in the acts of man.

SNM: Right. So, it is not suffering and death that are your problem, but the meanness and madness at their root. Is not meanness also a form of madness? And is not madness the misuse of the mind? Humanity’s problem lies in this misuse of the mind only. All the treasures of nature and spirit are open to man who will use his mind rightly.

Question: What is the right use of mind?

SNM: Fear and greed cause the misuse of the mind. The right use of mind is in the service of love, of life, of truth, of beauty.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Question: Nevertheless, you are aware of the immense suffering of the
world?
SNM: Of course I am, much more than you are.

Question: Then what do you do?
SNM: I look at it through the eyes of God and find that all is well.

Question: How can you say that all is well? Look at the wars, the exploi-
tation, the cruel strife between the citizen and the state.
SNM: All these sufferings are man-made and it is within man’s
power to put an end to them. God helps by facing man with the
results of his actions and demanding that the balance should be
restored. Karma is the law that works for righteousness; it is the
healing hand of God.
Walker

Post by Walker »

I look at it through the eyes of God and find that all is well.

How in the world did you miss this most profound statement?
It's more challenging to ignore now, now that it has grown and is separated with formatted spacing.

Could it be that you lack the understanding to comprehend how this large statement can be true?
Could it be that this lack of understanding and comprehension is cause to casually dismiss, how this can be true?
Could it be that there are folks so intellectually lazy that they just lay back, open the gob, and say Feed Me!

Will this open a flood of word salad, or a bunch of non sequiturial graphics either written or visual?

And, do the answers to these questions address what should be, or what is?

Walker

Post by Walker »

Question: I must be lacking energy.
SNM: What happened to your energy? Where did it go? Did you not scatter it over so many contradictory desires and pursuits? You don’t have an infinite supply of energy.

Question: Why not?
SNM: Your aims are small and low. They do not call for more. Only God’s energy is infinite — because He wants nothing for Himself. Be like Him and all your desires will be fulfilled. The higher your aims and vaster your desires, the more energy you will have for their fulfilment. Desire the good of all and the universe will work with you. But if you want your own pleasure, you must earn it the hard way. Before desiring, deserve.