~ I Am My Cellphone ~

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Bill Wiltrack

~ I Am My Cellphone ~

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

And you are your cellphone. Our biological anatomy no longer captures the entirety of who we are. We, in body, mind, & emotions have actually become part of our cellphone's human anatomy.

Thinking
is a process of symbol manipulation or neural computation, which gets carried out by the brain. Modern computational tools can become seamlessly integrated into how we think. Objects such as smartphones or notepads are often just as functionally essential to our cognition as the synapses firing in our heads. They augment and extend our minds by increasing our cognitive power and freeing up internal resources.

Essentially you have become nothing more than an extension of your computational tools.

From the moment our brains begin to mature intellectually we recognize that we are reactionary creatures in relation to the development of our thoughts. We cannot think something that we have not, in some form, already been exposed to. For example, our brains will not normally articulate our thoughts in Swahili if we are a being that has only been exposed to the English language.

We cannot recite the periodic table unless we have already been exposed to it.

I am recognizing the functioning of our brains. What I am highlighting here within this thread is the fact that our intellectual function is a posteriori.

I would love to hear your cellphone's articulation in reaction to my cellphone's characterizations in relation to this topic.

..............................................................Image

.................................................When we die, our cellphones are more like our corpse than our couch.

Last edited by Bill Wiltrack on Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Science Fan

Re: ~ I Am My Cellphone ~

Post by Science Fan »

The thing is a piece of paper that I am using to perform a mathematical computation on can be crumbled up, tossed away, and I still exist. I can also take a cell phone and destroy it, and I still exist. So, while you may have a point that our ability to process information expands by our use of tools, I don't think that is the same thing as stating we are those tools.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Philosophically, overall, I agree with your overarching statement above. We are not our body. We are not our emotions. We are not our thoughts.

But to a smaller point, the one I wish to limit myself within this thread, we are not our cellphone as much as we are not our body, thoughts, or emotions...

Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

.........................................................Image

We agree to disagree.

Still, I respect your opinion...

Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Bill Wiltrack wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:15 pm .

And you are your cellphone. Our biological anatomy no longer captures the entirety of who we are. We, in body, mind, & emotions have actually become part of our cellphone's human anatomy.

This is correct Bill.

This is not-a-thing attaching itself to a 'thing' ...it's own projection.. because it cannot recognise itself as not-a-thing.

Very good lucid posts from you Bill as usual.

Although we can capture the entirety of who we are ..but first we must put down the meat camera, it only serves to obscure our real image...when attempting to capture our real image...the meat camera gets in the way...the meat camera's purpose is to reveal a tiny snap-shot of our self, but in order to see our whole self..we need to put the camera down..only when that happens, will the whole self reveal...RIP, oh beloved meat camera.. :lol:

TY.

Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

I don't own or use a cell phone. For those who do, putting it down will not lead you to seeing yourself truly. I think distractions are everywhere for all of us. We can sell ourselves and have "masters" in countless ways. If it's not one thing, it can be another in "the game of life" (yes?)... so if we want to play the game better, maybe a good thing to contemplate is HOW we're playing, rather than blaming the game pieces or game scenarios for throwing us off.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

............................................................Image

Wow! - Your uniqueness quotient as an Individual and as a member of this community has just taken a huge spike up!

...do you think a smartphone would allow you to play this game better?

...............................................................Image

Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Bill Wiltrack wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:55 pm ...do you think a smartphone would allow you to play this game better?
That's like asking "Would a backhoe allow you to play this game better?" It depends on what you want to do... don't you think?
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

............................................................Image

THAT IS AMAZING! - Actually psychic! How'd you know I just woke-up?

Well, we as a social organism, are at the precipice of THE MOST DYNAMIC revolution mankind has ever experienced.

I call it, The Third Industrial Revolution; The Digital Revolution.

To begin to have just a glimmer of an example of what I mean - In 2017 there was more information transferred between humans that there was in THE ENTIRE PRIOR HISTORY OF MAN.

The thing I am holding in my hand right now allows me to engage in this rapidly expanding Digital Revolution twenty-four hours a day - seven days a week. Smartphones are re-defining me as an individual and the world en-toto.

Who wouldn't want to be part of that?

This is an AMAZING time to be alive!

The adaptation I am facing is limitless right now - in-part because of my cellphone.

When you stated above, It depends on what you want to do I want to feel limitless, decentralized with my fellow man and myself.

In the same vein, What do you want to do?

...I might add,...whatever your answer is for my above question, a smartphone will help you do it better.

.....................................................Image

Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Bill Wiltrack wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:17 am How'd you know I just woke-up?
You always act like you're waking up brand new, like no one has ever done before. :)
Bill Wiltrack wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:17 am This is an AMAZING time to be alive!
I think so too! Even without a smartphone.

Just think, Bill... connecting in whole new ways without mechanical tools. Using mechanical tools is fine, but they can add a lot of noise to wade through. If that excites you, great! That doesn't appeal to everyone though, of course.
Bill Wiltrack wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:17 am When you stated above, It depends on what you want to do I want to feel limitless, decentralized with my fellow man and myself.
I wish you success. There are many different experiences and paths. I hope you enjoy yours.
Bill Wiltrack wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:17 am In the same vein, What do you want to do?
Experience ever-expanding clarity and freedom and joy, away from the noise. Doesn't mean I can't find value and entertainment in the noise... as I do. But I don't need to inundate myself with it... nor follow where it tries to lead me every second of every day. That's overly intoxicating. This forum is my noisy indulgence from time to time, and that feels like plenty. :D
Bill Wiltrack wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:17 am ...I might add,...whatever your answer is for my above question, a smartphone will help you do it better.
No, as you can see, the smartphone is not applicable for what I want. You just can't seem to help yourself from always projecting your needs and solutions onto everyone -- as if your reality is all there is. I wonder why that is? Do you have any idea?
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Bill Wiltrack wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:15 pm .

Thinking
is a process of symbol manipulation or neural computation, which gets carried out by the brain. Modern computational tools can become seamlessly integrated into how we think. Objects such as smartphones or notepads are often just as functionally essential to our cognition as the synapses firing in our heads. They augment and extend our minds by increasing our cognitive power and freeing up internal resources.

Essentially you have become nothing more than an extension of your computational tools.

From the moment our brains begin to mature intellectually we recognize that we are reactionary creatures in relation to the development of our thoughts. We cannot think something that we have not, in some form, already been exposed to. For example, our brains will not normally articulate our thoughts in Swahili if we are a being that has only been exposed to the English language.

We cannot recite the periodic table unless we have already been exposed to it.

I am recognizing the functioning of our brains. What I am highlighting here within this thread is the fact that our intellectual function is a posteriori.

I would love to hear your cellphone's articulation in reaction to my cellphone's characterizations in relation to this topic.

..............................................................Image

.................................................When we die, our cellphones are more like our corpse than our couch.

??????? no clue of your point.

i don't have a smartphone - see to many "bots" walking around.

still stuck in the 90's.

I got a PC - from which i unitask - like now - to post here, view "TV" via youtube (PC is connected to my big TV - cut "cable TV" 2 decades ago).

I was cutting edge in 2000 or so......(now I'm a dinosuar, refusing to buy a smartphone/joining social media).......seeing PC and the "net" as useful (as it still is - as long as you use it for what makes the net great like Wikipedia/etc..............and not the "new net" parts of the "net" like Face fk, Twit. and the rest of the mindless "Social media" (AOL anyone?) parts...........never joined any of those sites and never will - if the "social media" part fully replace what makes the rest of the "net" great, i'll just "Cut the cord to the net" like i did with "TV" year prior).

may God bless the Usenet - esp. the Binaries............only sad that now one needs to pay to access (beyond the usual ISP - who USED to allow access to for "free" many years ago)
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

To the poster above, When I was young I had a Deep Understanding. During that time I woke to the magic of induction. The power of inductive thinking.

The Digital Revolution is so amazing. So appreciative to be alive in these moments...The way The Digital Revolution has changed the way we communicate is so rich and dynamic. Smartphones have added so much to the richness of my life & my philosophy I naturally induce that these new means of communication will do the same for others. I don't see any flaw in that philosophical outlook.

The the other poster - too FTFY

...however, certainly, to each their own.

Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Bill Wiltrack wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:17 am

.....................................................Image

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL...HAHAHAHAHAHA

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh Bill, you're posts do make me laugh out loud...I awoke this morning to this image, and fell about with laughter, I hadn't laughed so hard and hearty for a long time.

Thanks for being so much fun here at the forum...I so read you Bill..you have a very gifted sense of humour....thanks.

Always be your self, the real transparent self... :P

Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Thank you. If you get me, you may be like me to a degree. I'm actually, at my best, trying to be transparent to this world. Just like the image of the cell phone that you used.

Don't ever give up...

Good luck to you & again, thank you for being here.

Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

I just love the images you post..you always manage to find the best and funniest ones ...they always make me giggle so hard.

Good luck Bill...live long and prosper.

And yes we are living in very exciting times..watch this space.

I don't personally have a cell phone, but I do have an ipad ..best things since sliced bread eh? :D