Technicolor Dreams

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

User avatar
Harbal
Posts: 4060
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:03 pm
Location: Yorkshire
Contact:

Technicolor Dreams

Post by Harbal » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:08 pm

I have often heard it said that some people only dream in black and white. Well not only do I dream in colour, I can also see an extra colour in my dreams that I can’t see when I’m awake. Does anyone know if there’s a name for this phenomenon? No silly answers please.

Dubious
Posts: 2219
Joined: Tue May 19, 2015 7:40 am

Re: Technicolor Dreams

Post by Dubious » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:13 pm

Harbal wrote:I have often heard it said that some people only dream in black and white. Well not only do I dream in colour, I can also see an extra colour in my dreams that I can’t see when I’m awake. Does anyone know if there’s a name for this phenomenon? No silly answers please.
Interesting question! Maybe there is a name for it but I couldn't find one. Most people dream in color; dreaming in B & W only is extremely rare.

I can only give my perception of it but what would an "extra color" be defined as since any color can have almost unlimited shades and intensity. I don't think it unusual to see colors in dreams which do not occur in nature though derived from nature. Dreams can be so intense and surrealistic with its canvass of colors likewise enhanced revealing a dept of chromaticism not encountered in nature...or maybe it's only because the eye can't see it due to it's limitations which dreams are not subject to.

It's interesting to note that magenta is not color since it doesn't exist within the visible spectrum and consequently denoted as "‘extra-spectral". It's a physical eye transcription of red and blue. Perhaps that's the best description for what you describe!

User avatar
Harbal
Posts: 4060
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:03 pm
Location: Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: Technicolor Dreams

Post by Harbal » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:37 pm

Dubious wrote: I can only give my perception of it but what would an "extra color" be defined as since any color can have almost unlimited shades and intensity.
My extra colour is completely different from any colour I've ever seen when I'm awake. It's quite an attractive colour, it would look really good on a T shirt, if only it existed in the real world.

User avatar
TSBU
Posts: 824
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:46 pm

Re: Technicolor Dreams

Post by TSBU » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:48 pm

Harbal wrote:I have often heard it said that some people only dream in black and white. Well not only do I dream in colour, I can also see an extra colour in my dreams that I can’t see when I’m awake. Does anyone know if there’s a name for this phenomenon? No silly answers please.
No, I don't know.

It's strange, very strange and curious if it's true. Maybe you have a problem in your phisical eye or the optical nerve, it can't recognize a colour, but there is no problem in the part of the brain that can see it in a normal person. But for what I know, dreams are mostly about memory, so you should be watching the same colours you usually see. Have you always dreamed with that colour? Where is that colour in your dreams? (I mean, in a bee, in a pig, in at-shirt...?)

I dream in color too. Also, some people dream in "HD" and some people dream with no quality (I'm in that group). There are many lies when people talk about their dreams, but I've heard of people who have amazing dreams (I know a person whose dreams had even an "ammo" variable). I usually can't remember my dreams, and when I remember them, I'm not sure about them, I just remember the most important things, and I only remember them when I'm "half-awake" at the end.
Also, there are dreams where people can control themselves and dreams like movies, I usually have the first ones.

I like to talk about that things XD (Even though I know that people usually lie about this... well, my dreams have usually lot of blood).

Dubious
Posts: 2219
Joined: Tue May 19, 2015 7:40 am

Re: Technicolor Dreams

Post by Dubious » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:01 pm

Harbal wrote:
Dubious wrote: I can only give my perception of it but what would an "extra color" be defined as since any color can have almost unlimited shades and intensity.
My extra colour is completely different from any colour I've ever seen when I'm awake. It's quite an attractive colour, it would look really good on a T shirt, if only it existed in the real world.
...what can I say? I tried!

User avatar
Harbal
Posts: 4060
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:03 pm
Location: Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: Technicolor Dreams

Post by Harbal » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:13 pm

TSBU wrote: Where is that colour in your dreams? (I mean, in a bee, in a pig, in at-shirt...?)
It's mainly the sky, water, egg cups and shoe laces, but only when they are untied.
Dubious wrote: ...what can I say? I tried!
Yes it's very puzzling.

User avatar
TSBU
Posts: 824
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:46 pm

Re: Technicolor Dreams

Post by TSBU » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:23 pm

Harbal wrote:
TSBU wrote: Where is that colour in your dreams? (I mean, in a bee, in a pig, in at-shirt...?)
It's mainly the sky, water, egg cups and shoe laces, but only when they are untied.
Every water and every sky, does it include clouds?

Suposing yu are saying truth, maybe whe you were very young you could see that colour, let say a different blue and you remember that colour specially in that things, so your brain put it in that things again. haven't you say that to anyone? If you are saying truth, maybe you should say it to your doctor, maybe some neurologysts would want to see your brain activity.

User avatar
Harbal
Posts: 4060
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:03 pm
Location: Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: Technicolor Dreams

Post by Harbal » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:39 pm

TSBU wrote: does it include clouds?
Clouds are usually pink, which seems to go particularly well with my special colour.
maybe some neurologysts would want to see your brain activity.
One or two people on this very forum have also expressed an interest in seeing it, but I think it was more in terms of whether any could be found.

thedoc
Posts: 6473
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:18 pm

Re: Technicolor Dreams

Post by thedoc » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:00 am

Harbal wrote:
TSBU wrote: does it include clouds?
Clouds are usually pink, which seems to go particularly well with my special colour.
maybe some neurologysts would want to see your brain activity.
One or two people on this very forum have also expressed an interest in seeing it, but I think it was more in terms of whether any could be found.
My only thought is that you are partially color blind, but in your dreams you see all the colors. If this is not the case, I have no idea what is going on.

Beauty
Posts: 283
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:08 pm

Re: Technicolor Dreams

Post by Beauty » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:00 pm

I have never in my life heard about anyone dreaming in black and white, not that it may not be there, but I have never heard of anything like that. And by the way, what's the extra colour in your dreams, something like silver or gold or diamond? I say that because any other colour than that would be a shade of violet, indigo, blue, green, yellow, orange, red (VIBGYOR), the 7 colours of the spectrum of light. Black and white are not really considered colours, for black is absence of light and white is presence of light.

Dreams tell us about our emotions. Exam time people may dream of lions, and so depicting that we face a strong force at the time of the dream. Not very confident in ourself, we may dream dreams depicting as such, low confidence. Other times some may dream they are at a party and will wake up from the dream just when it is time to eat the good food.

Dreams usually make known peoples' deficiencies and insecurities in life, for they portray that, and so people will know which area they need to build themselves up in - dreams are eye openers in that regard, but people don't realize that.
Last edited by Beauty on Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Philosophy Explorer
Posts: 5634
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:39 am

Re: Technicolor Dreams

Post by Philosophy Explorer » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:35 pm

Beauty wrote:I have never in my life heard about anyone dreaming in black and white, not that it may not be there, but I have never heard of anything like that. And by the way, what's the extra colour in your dreams, something like silver or gold or diamond? I say that because any other colour than that would be a shade of violet, indigo, blue, green, yellow, orange, red (VIBGYOR), the 7 colours of the spectrum of light. Black and white are not really considered colours, for black is absence of light and white is presence of light.
Colorblind people dream in black, white and grays.

PhilX

Beauty
Posts: 283
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:08 pm

Re: Technicolor Dreams

Post by Beauty » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:36 pm

Holy! I didn't know that. Thanks for telling. And what do blind people see in dreams?

Philosophy Explorer
Posts: 5634
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:39 am

Re: Technicolor Dreams

Post by Philosophy Explorer » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:42 pm

Beauty wrote:Holy! I didn't know that. Thanks for u telling. And what do blind people see in dreams?
The same things that people with regular vision see.

PhilX

Beauty
Posts: 283
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:08 pm

Re: Technicolor Dreams

Post by Beauty » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:47 pm

But the blind people have never seen earth and the whole ecological system, so how can they dream what the non-blind dream?

Philosophy Explorer
Posts: 5634
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:39 am

Re: Technicolor Dreams

Post by Philosophy Explorer » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:00 pm

Beauty wrote:But the blind people have never seen earth and the whole ecological system, so how can they dream what the non-blind dream?
When you say blind people, do you mean colorblind people?

If you mean blind exactly with no vision during their entire life, then they can't dream because they have no memories to draw upon. But blind people can dream if they had vision in an earlier part of their lives leading to memories.

PhilX

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests