MWI fail

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

apathist

MWI fail

Post by apathist »

This could go in some other forum, but I choose here because it is the existence of mind which kills MWI.

The many-worlds interpretation of quantum physics is an attempt to force reality to conform to a deterministic world-view. But even if the MWI is correct, our universe would still be probabilistic.

Even if the MWI has restored determinism of a sort to the description of the postulated multi-verse, it completely fails to allow us to predict what we will see in our actual future.

The point of this thread is that the MWI fails to provide a deterministic explanation for the probabilistic outcomes which occur in THIS universe.

1) The MWI was invented to provide a deterministic explanation for quantum indeterminism.

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/qm-manyworlds/
The Many-Worlds Interpretation (MWI) of quantum mechanics holds that there are many worlds which exist in parallel at the same space and time as our own. The existence of the other worlds makes it possible to remove randomness and action at a distance from quantum theory and thus from all physics.

2) This thread is meant to point out that MWI fails because it does not affect the fact that our world is fundamentally indeterminate.

http://somewhatabnormal.blogspot.com/20 ... s-not.html
The thing is, even though the MWI has restored determinism of a sort to the description of the universe, it completely fails to predict what we will see in our particular future. John Earman says that the MWI exhibits ontological determinism, but at the price of "radical epistemic indeterminism."

I realize quotes from Stanford and a science blog can be debated. That's why I'm here. I'd like to help bury the carcass. Determinism is dead.
A_Seagull

Re: MWI fail

Post by A_Seagull »

The Many Worlds theory fails because it says nothing about this world. It says nothing sensible about why we view THIS world the way we do.