Proposition {1.1}

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

UniversalAlien

Proposition {1.1}

Post by UniversalAlien »

The Zen Doctrine of 'No Mind' finally makes sense. :idea: :roll:

“I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it.”
― Terry Pratchett

“Reality exists in the human mind, and nowhere else.”
― George Orwell, 1984
duszek

Re: Proposition {1.1}

Post by duszek »

Thinking outside the box ... ? :?:

Thinking outside the brain ?

Swarm intelligence !! :lol:
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

UniversalAlien wrote:The Zen Doctrine of 'No Mind' finally makes sense. :idea: :roll:

“I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it.”
― Terry Pratchett

― George Orwell, 1984
Regarding the Orwell quote, I have been thinking of the bridge between analytic philosophy and the idealism it was trying to replace. ie., reality existing beyond the observer, and reality based solely on the observer. I've come to the conclusion that either way, is it of great import if it doesn't ultimately impact me?
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

Dalek Prime wrote:
UniversalAlien wrote:The Zen Doctrine of 'No Mind' finally makes sense. :idea: :roll:

― Terry Pratchett

― George Orwell, 1984
Regarding the Orwell quote, I have been thinking of the bridge between analytic philosophy and the idealism it was trying to replace. ie., reality existing beyond the observer, and reality based solely on the observer. I've come to the conclusion that either way, is it of great import if it doesn't ultimately impact me?
and the butterfly loses its effectiveness...

-Imp
UniversalAlien

Post by UniversalAlien »

Dalek Prime wrote:

― Terry Pratchett

― George Orwell, 1984
From PHILOSOPHY NOW: {Dec. 2015 / Jan. 2016}
{© Dr M. Tyrrell 1996}
Although Orwell made few direct references to philosophy, much of his later and better writing amounts to an attempt at working out the political consequences of what are essentially philosophical questions. When and what should we doubt? When and what should we believe? Questions like these are particularly important in Nineteen Eighty-four. In that novel, the official philosophy of the fictitious Oceanian regime is a sort of global scepticism while everyday common sense has been made a heresy. It is common sense that triggers off Winston Smith’s illfated rebellion, a rebellion against the kinds of thing that put Orwell off philosophy.

“They were wrong and he was right. The obvious, the silly and the true had got to be defended. Truisms are true, hold onto that! The solid world exists. Its laws do not change. Stones are hard, water is wet, objects unsupported fall towards the earth’s centre.”

Later, therefore, when the novel describes the State’s attempts at ending Smith’s dissent, it details a process whereby common sense is undermined by sophistry and scepticism. The operation is supervised and, in its later stages, performed by O’Brien, the ruling Party’s agent provocateur. Re-educating Winston, he remarks:

“You are here because you have failed in humility, in self-discipline. You would not make the act of submission which is the price of sanity. You preferred to be a lunatic, a minority of one. Only the disciplined mind can see reality, Winston. You believe that reality is something objective, external, existing in its own right. You also believe that the nature of reality is self-evident. When you delude yourself into thinking that you see something, you assume that everyone else sees the same thing as you. But I tell you, Winston, that reality is not external. Reality exists in the human mind, and nowhere else. Not in the individual mind which can make mistakes and in any case soon perishes: only in the mind of the Party which is collective and immortal. Whatever the Party holds to be the truth, is the truth. It is impossible to see reality except by looking through the eyes of the Party.”

In Nineteen Eighty-four, then, doubt sustains the regime, while conviction has the potential to undermine it........
I'M RIGHT - THE WORLD IS WRONG !!!
-UniversalAlien
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

I was thinking more along the lines of Russell's discussion of the reality of objects eg. his writing table. Personally, I don't generally accept social/political 'realities' as they are disseminated.
UniversalAlien

Post by UniversalAlien »

Dalek Prime wrote:I was thinking more along the lines of Russell's discussion of the reality of objects eg. his writing table. Personally, I don't generally accept social/political 'realities' as they are disseminated.
I don't accept any reality but it does have a tendency to interfere with my fantasies of the world as i would like it to be.

"The world of reality has its limits; the world of imagination is boundless.
--Jean-Jacques Rousseau

"Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality."
--Nikola Tesla

"Our intention creates our reality."
--Wayne Dyer
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

I hear you. I'm an introvert by nature, though I can be quite sociable. Nonetheless, I prefer the reality in my head over anything the world has to offer, for the most part.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

UniversalAlien wrote:The Zen Doctrine of 'No Mind' finally makes sense.
The Zen doctrine of "no mind" was created by humans. It is also referred to as the "universal mind", "no mind" is not quite accurate.