Existence, teach me about it

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Thomascbk

Existence, teach me about it

Post by Thomascbk »

A)
Cogito ergo sum
If this is true and I do exist. How can I know you exist and if you do, how do you know I exist. How can I be sure that when someone walks around the corner he is still there or if he is just gone.

B)
How can we be sure this universe is not just a cell and earth is an atom just like the sun but with another composition of protons, elecktrons and neutrons.
The Inglorious One

Re: Existence, teach me about it

Post by The Inglorious One »

What if Descartes said, "I experience, therefore I am"? What kind of difference would that make?
Thomascbk

Post by Thomascbk »

The Inglorious One wrote:What if Descartes said, "I experience, therefore I am"? What kind of difference would that make?
Experiencing things shows that the one that is experiencing exists, but how do I know you are experiencing it and you are not just but a memory in my mind(being my unconscious). If I can not 100% be sure you exist I can not be sure my world exists.

Maybe my world exists only out of what I can see and when something I cannot see anymore literally stops existing untill it shows itself again and I "upload" the memory into my world.

Sorry for speaking so much in a me person, but if I would not it would be weird asking something I am not sure of if it exists if I exist. Which I am doing right now.

This is the first time my minds crossed these sort of questions and I have not yet read much about this subject so pardon me if some questions are obvious to answer.
alpha

Post by alpha »

hi tom. welcome to the forum.

wouldn't it seem unlikely that only one person exists (whichever of us it might be)? why me and not you, or you and not me? and so on....
Thomascbk

Post by Thomascbk »

Hello Alpha and thank you

Yes it seems unlikely and my rationiality tries to tell me not to think about it and it is what it is. But how can one be sure. We just can not be sure. Maybe I am in a coma or I am death and this is the afterlife.

It also seems egocentric thinking I am the only one that exists. So why not you? If I would be questioning the fact that you would be the only real person than therefore I do not exist and because I do not exist so don't you.
Meaning if I want this "paranoïd" theory to succes I should be the real one.

I know it is just unnecessary worrying, but I like questioning this and I hope everybody here can teach me some little things about it and give me new insights.
alpha

Post by alpha »

Thomascbk wrote:Hello Alpha and thank you

Yes it seems unlikely and my rationiality tries to tell me not to think about it and it is what it is. But how can one be sure. We just can not be sure. Maybe I am in a coma or I am death and this is the afterlife.

It also seems egocentric thinking I am the only one that exists. So why not you? If I would be questioning the fact that you would be the only real person than therefore I do not exist and because I do not exist so don't you.
Meaning if I want this "paranoïd" theory to succes I should be the real one.

I know it is just unnecessary worrying, but I like questioning this and I hope everybody here can teach me some little things about it and give me new insights.
i'm afraid that the more philosophical things one learns, the more questions arise. perhaps it's true that the only thing we really know is that we don't know anything for sure.

personally, i'd be thrilled if i turned out to be unreal.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Thomascbk wrote:A)
Cogito ergo sum
If this is true and I do exist. How can I know you exist and if you do, how do you know I exist. ...
Descartes had this problem and used 'God', me I ask if you are knowing or thinking in a language? If so then you can be assured there is at least one other as it looks like you can't have such a language without there being an other.
How can I be sure that when someone walks around the corner he is still there or if he is just gone.
How do you explain that when you light a candle or fire in your room that when you come back there is a stub or ashes?
B)
How can we be sure this universe is not just a cell and earth is an atom just like the sun but with another composition of protons, elecktrons and neutrons.
We can't I'd say but then I'd say that this model of the atom is a bit outdated and not an apt analogy with the solar system.
Last edited by Arising_uk on Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Inglorious One

Post by The Inglorious One »

Thomascbk wrote:
The Inglorious One wrote:What if Descartes said, "I experience, therefore I am"? What kind of difference would that make?
Experiencing things shows that the one that is experiencing exists, but how do I know you are experiencing it and you are not just but a memory in my mind(being my unconscious). If I can not 100% be sure you exist I can not be sure my world exists.
Why does it matter?
Thomascbk

Post by Thomascbk »

[/quote]Why does it matter?[/quote]

Thinking about it matters to me
Thomascbk

Post by Thomascbk »

Why does it matter?
Thinking about it matters to me[/quote]
Thomascbk

Post by Thomascbk »

Thomascbk wrote:
Why does it matter?
Thinking about it matters to me
Thomascbk

Post by Thomascbk »

The Inglorious One wrote:
Why does it matter?
Thinking about it matters to me[/quote]
Thomascbk

Post by Thomascbk »

Oh god... I am new here as you can see...
alpha

Post by alpha »

Thomascbk wrote:Oh god... I am new here as you can see...
lol. it's ok.