Incredible genius

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Incredible genius

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

I've heard of such stories before. I think we barely scratched the surface as to how the mind/brain actually works:

http://m.livescience.com/45349-brain-in ... _source=LI

Do you think that genius can arise suddenly? (I do)

PhilX
Dubious

Re: Incredible genius

Post by Dubious »

A very interesting article indeed. Good of you to post it! My view after having read the article is somewhat different from yours.

I'm not convinced that this is genius. To me it seems more like a perspectival shift in the brain as it encounters day to day realities though, in this case, it's truly mystical in how it does that.

The real mystery to me is in how the brain perceives the totality of it's surroundings morphing it into its own visionary narratives. After the trauma this person experienced he could just as easily have turned schizophrenic hearing voices externally as if they were messages or commands from a higher power. The point being that genius first and foremost denotes creativity and not only perceptivity which nevertheless operates as a prerequisite in the ability of genius to create in whatever form it manifests itself.

If it remains exclusionary as a personal experience only, no matter how awesome or rare, exempt of any presiding mental catalyst to expound it into something more as with Euler, Gauss or Riemann or musically as with Bach or Mozart, then it is not genius but functions more as a revelation in the multitudinous ways the brain can expound and experience data.
Dalek Prime

Re: Incredible genius

Post by Dalek Prime »

I do know people with genius IQs. I am above average, but certainly not genius. I find they lack in certain areas, and I do not envy them. Mind, they are quicker than I am, but I'm the methodical tortoise to their hare. I'd rather be right than fast and wrong.