Can you upgrade your DNA?

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Can you upgrade your DNA?

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

What has this to do with the mind? Read the article to find out (btw I don't regard this as pseudoscience as the AHA is involved):

http://thespiritscience.net/2015/07/11/ ... -your-dna/

PhilX
Hobbes' Choice

Re: Can you upgrade your DNA?

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:What has this to do with the mind? Read the article to find out (btw I don't regard this as pseudoscience as the AHA is involved):

http://thespiritscience.net/2015/07/11/ ... -your-dna/

PhilX
This is utter bullshit.
I'm not sure if life is not too short to read this. I'm not sure why you think it is kosher if the AHA is involved.

It is an inconvenient truth that you die with the same genome you were born with. Genes can be switched on or off, but "literally upgraded" is a childish abuse of language. What are they selling?
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

The website is really slick. And it pains me to see that Googling "Perla Kaliman, first author of the article and a researcher at the Institute of Biomedical Research of Barcelona,", gets 75,500 regurgitated linked of pure bollocks.

I fear for the future of mankind.
Last edited by Hobbes' Choice on Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
duszek

Post by duszek »

But if we replace some cells with genetically modified ones and they reproduce naturally and spread then some parts of our bodies will be new genetically.

It is like a desirable kind of cancer.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

duszek wrote:But if we replace some cells with genetically modified ones and they reproduce naturally and spread then some parts of our bodies will be new genetically.

It is like a desirable kind of cancer.
Did you even look at the article?