A Philosophy of Mind

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Barbara Brooks

Re: Philosophy of Mind

Post by Barbara Brooks »

The Ancient Sicilian poet Stesichorus who lived approximately 640 - 555 BC was best known for telling long stories in the lyrical rhythm of poetry was also adamant in his opposition to the tyrant Phalaris renowned for his excessive cruelty. Stesichorus was ranked by the scholars of Hellenistic Alexandria among the nine lyric poets esteemed for his basis of the metrical form lost his eyes reviling the lovely Helen of Troy. Her abduction was an elopement by Paris brought about the Trojan War. Blindness was the penalty that was inflicted upon him. He at once purged himself and the purgation was of his recantation:
“False is that word of mine-the truth is that
Thou didst not embark in ships, nor ever go
to the walls of Troy.”

Immediately, his sight returned when he had completed the poem "The Recantation,” it was as if words were medicine.
Sophists are teachers specialized in using their knowledge of deceiving someone. Socrates called them dealers of wholesale or retail knowledge they praise indiscriminately all knowledge without knowing what were really beneficial or hurtful the purchaser does not know. Protagoras the greatest of Sophist would carry about his wares of knowledge, and made the rounds of the cities, selling knowledge to any one willing to pay.

Rhetoricians are physicians? Pericles had such a profound influence on Athenian society that Thucydides, c. 460 BC – c. 395 BC) (Greek a Greek historian acclaimed him as "the first citizen of Athens". Pericles turned the Delian League into an Athenian empire and led his countrymen during the first two years of the Peloponnesian War. A period during which he led Athens, known as the "Age of Pericles", a period of harmony, economic growth and cultural known as the Golden Age of Athens or The Age of Pericles.
Pericles promoted the arts and literature; this was a chief reason Athens holds the reputation of being the educational and cultural centre of the ancient Greek world. Critics called him a populist who had not worked out a clear strategy. Socrates casts aspersions on Pericles' rhetorical fame, "thundering and lightening and exciting Greece” Pericles enchanted the mind; the skillful rhetorician must know the differences of human character in order to persuade their opinion. Must know this character ought to have a certain argument applied to their character. Also, what must be learned is when to speak and when to refrain, and how and when to use pithy expressions, pathetic appeals, sensational effects, and all the other styles of speech which must be learned.

Rhetoric like painting may be said both have only appearance if asked a question preserve both a silence, they can be tumbled about every where among some who may understand or may not can be maltreated and abused, have no protection.

Look at Homer he Greek poet author of the Iliad and the Odyssey, are revered as the greatest ancient Greek epic poems. All these poetical individuals beginning with Homer are imitators they copy images of good and evil but not truth.
What is truth but reality? “The way of truth”, the philosopher Parmenides describes the journey of a young man coming from darkness to light sees truth.

“Truth the universal author of all things beautiful and right, parent of light in the world one and many.”
SpheresOfBalance

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

Arising_uk wrote:
SpheresOfBalance wrote:You know I'm really sorry for those of you that believe a colorful rag defines you.
And yet you saluted one?
Did I? And if I had, what, are you still the same old snot nosed kid you used to be? I also feel sorry for people that get older and do not grow (learn), Is one really responsible for what they did as a child, before they fully understood the folly of the construct? I see, that in fact, those that do not grow, were probably bought and sold, and as such, are just so much, a piece of meat. Can you say automaton?
... But if I ever become terminal, you can bet your bottom dollar (euro/pound) that I'll find some somewhere, then lay down, viewing a clear night sky, peer into the pin pricked darkness, and contemplate infinity. ;-)[/color]
Huxley got there before you. I think morphine will be the more probable outcome.
So who said this was a race or a competition? Sequence matters not. I say great minds think alike? And you may be underestimating me, while you speak from your own perspective; Projection? But I acknowledge that we really can't say for certain at this point. But can you say cocktail?
Last edited by SpheresOfBalance on Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Plato was the first who conceived a method of knowledge, the bare outline, or form of truth; and abstraction of science, which was not yet realized. Benjamin Jowett who translated to English many of Plato’s work He thought Plato was the greatest metaphysical genius the world ; more than in any other ancient thinker, his seeds of future knowledge were contained based upon the interpretations of Socrates principles of definition, as, the law of contradiction, or the mistaken beliefs of arguing, and the distinction between the essence of a thing or the idea between means and ends, or between causes and effects. These and other great forms of thought are all of them to be found written by Plato.

Plato does not bind up truth in logic. Logic is metaphysics; Plato imagines to, "contemplate all truth and all existence".
Socrates looked coldly upon rhetoric because the words alone cause dishonesty. Virtue and knowledge philosophers will be truly rich, not in silver and gold, but the true blessings of life. The difference between the true philosopher and the sham is a task but whether easy or not lays the difference.

How brave a thing is freedom of speech.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

SpheresOfBalance wrote:Did I? And if I had, what, are you still the same old snot nosed kid you used to be? I also feel sorry for people that get older and do not grow (learn), Is one really responsible for what they did as a child, before they fully understood the folly of the construct? I see, that in fact, those that do not grow, were probably bought and sold, and as such, are just so much, a piece of meat. Can you say automaton?
I can, is that like obeying orders without question?

But I agree with the snot-nosed kid thing as when I was one I understood that nationalism and the military were the tools of the capitalist pigs used to keep the system in place and pretty much only the lumpen-prole would join-up.
So who said this was a race or a competition? Sequence matters not. I say great minds think alike? And you may be underestimating me, while you speak from your own perspective; Projection? But I acknowledge that we really can't say for certain at this point. But can you cay cocktail?
I can, do you think you'll be walking with the amount of morphine needed for the pain of a terminal illnesses?
SpheresOfBalance

Arising_uk wrote:
SpheresOfBalance wrote:Did I? And if I had, what, are you still the same old snot nosed kid you used to be? I also feel sorry for people that get older and do not grow (learn), Is one really responsible for what they did as a child, before they fully understood the folly of the construct? I see, that in fact, those that do not grow, were probably bought and sold, and as such, are just so much, a piece of meat. Can you say automaton?
I can, is that like obeying orders without question?
I wouldn't know from experience, as I question everything, but that's basically the idea according to the 'dictionary.' But you gotta be careful, there's circles in them there pages that could form a vortex and swallow you whole. :lol:

But I agree with the snot-nosed kid thing as when I was one I understood that nationalism and the military were the tools of the capitalist pigs used to keep the system in place and pretty much only the lumpen-prole would join-up.
That's an extremely narrow view of the psyche's involved, but I expect no more from you. All you have to do is 'believe' you've crossed the finish line first and you've won. :lol:
So who said this was a race or a competition? Sequence matters not. I say great minds think alike? And you may be underestimating me, while you speak from your own perspective; Projection? But I acknowledge that we really can't say for certain at this point. But can you cay cocktail?
I can, do you think you'll be walking with the amount of morphine needed for the pain of a terminal illnesses?
It would seem you are the queen of presumption, as if it's not gradual, and as if I'd have no help. How limited your world seems to be. Your points seem to fall flat on their face, that's the problem with people that think they know it all, they've forgotten that circumstance is continuously variable! :lol:
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

SpheresOfBalance wrote:I wouldn't know from experience, as I question everything, but that's basically the idea according to the 'dictionary.' But you gotta be careful, there's circles in them there pages that could form a vortex and swallow you whole. :lol:
Fair point, the modern soldier can question orders but like the automaton they still carry them out or are you saying you were one of the admirable breed?
That's an extremely narrow view of the psyche's involved, but I expect no more from you. All you have to do is 'believe' you've crossed the finish line first and you've won. :lol:
:lol: I thought we were talking about when we were snot-nosed kids? Not sure about this 'psyche' thing, just talking about those I knew who joined. Although there was one military brat who followed tradition but I've never heard any of them talk about 'saving the free world', much more cynical than that but I suppose the British and US military are different. Mainly due I guess to us having a welfare system and an essentially free higher education system so not so much need to join-up, other than wanting to fight that is.
It would seem you are the queen of presumption, as if it's not gradual, and as if I'd have no help. How limited your world seems to be. Your points seem to fall flat on their face, that's the problem with people that think they know it all, they've forgotten that circumstance is continuously variable! :lol:
:lol: I hope that comforts you if diagnosed. So you are saying that you will take shrooms only if your mortality is brought home to you but you are essentially well? Well fear not, we are all in the condition of being in a terminal illness, its called life, so why not take the shrooms anyway?
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Everything that flows like a breeze from a purer world has reason. Truth is affirmed as the aspect of being, decides whether which is right or wrong.

Reason has two aspects, intention and actuality. Whereas knowledge is thinking, not doing , not producing anything. Consequently the opposition of activity. All thinking is oneness with self the principle of thought: thinking is reflection into self.

Sunk into the material world which takes us away from true knowledge giving up returning back to unknowing society before the of fullness of knowledge is received drop to the level of bewilderment. The characteristic feature of people is feeling the supreme wealth of being

Socrates who is considered the wisest person in the world from his youth onward was virtuous. He came to be flawless and all these virtues, knowledge, courage, temperance and good. became his nature. The world of knowledge is the power upon which to act rationally, either in public or private life.
SpheresOfBalance

Arising_uk wrote:
SpheresOfBalance wrote:I wouldn't know from experience, as I question everything, but that's basically the idea according to the 'dictionary.' But you gotta be careful, there's circles in them there pages that could form a vortex and swallow you whole. :lol:
Fair point, the modern soldier can question orders but like the automaton they still carry them out or are you saying you were one of the admirable breed?
I don't necessarily want to be a leader or a follower. And I am not conceded. I'm not special at all. Just the mere fact that one supports their homes defense means you're in harms way, and if it's not just your home that you're protecting and you 'believe' that you're protecting all free people's homes (those that are the most similar to yours, those of your allies), as far as I'm concerned you're doing exactly that, despite all the political garbage that goes along with it. There's no telling if your boss is corrupt before a specific fact. And I believe it's extremely easy for you to sit there in your easy chair that England's freedom has ensured and speak from an anarchists perspective, but if your chair was sitting smack dab in the middle of an actual state of anarchy you'd be singing a different tune, or maybe you'd be someones meat. Hindsight is 20/20. Given the construct of governments that we ALL are a party to whether, unwittingly or otherwise, what choice does one have, if they want to have some idea of freedom; without being on someones menu. Sure it's a machine. All one can do is try and ensure that the one at the helm's psyche is sound; considering all. The machine is extremely huge and thus extremely hard to micro manage.
:lol: I thought we were talking about when we were snot-nosed kids? Not sure about this 'psyche' thing, just talking about those I knew who joined. Although there was one military brat who followed tradition but I've never heard any of them talk about 'saving the free world', much more cynical than that but I suppose the British and US military are different. Mainly due I guess to us having a welfare system and an essentially free higher education system so not so much need to join-up, other than wanting to fight that is.
If you're being sincere now, then it would seem I owe you an apology, because I took your attempt at insulting me as intended; that you would try and compare my youth with yours in a condescending way. So at this point I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Sorry, I came on so strong. But I stand by the fact that it's true that you can't bottle all perspectives in one container as then there in no distinction. And it would seem that you have yielded on this point.
:lol: I hope that comforts you if diagnosed. So you are saying that you will take shrooms only if your mortality is brought home to you but you are essentially well? Well fear not, we are all in the condition of being in a terminal illness, its called life, so why not take the shrooms anyway?
My point is that I shall go out with a bang of colorful perception because I refuse to be weighted down by mankind's mundane visions of reality that are set to the tune of self serving control of his would be slaves, that in the end I DEMAND true freedom and shall have it.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

The philosopher is treated so grievous that no single thing on earth is comparable to it; therefore, to plead for the philosopher I recourse to a tale Socrates tells in the Republic. “Imagine,” he said, “ a fleet or a ship in which there is a captain who is taller and stronger than any of the crew, but he is a little deaf and has a similar infirmity in sight, and his knowledge of navigation is not much better. The sailors are quarrelling with one another about the steering --every one is of opinion that he has a right to steer, though he has never learned the art of navigation and cannot tell who taught him or when he learned, and will further assert that it cannot be taught, and they are ready to cut in pieces any one who says the contrary. They throng about the captain, begging and praying him to commit the helm to them; and if at any time they do not prevail, but others are preferred to them, they kill the others or throw them overboard, and having first chained up the noble captain's senses with drink or some narcotic drug, they mutiny and take possession of the ship and make free with the stores; thus, eating and drinking, they proceed on their voyage in such a manner as might be expected of them. Him who is their partisan and cleverly aids them in their plot for getting the ship out of the captain's hands into their own whether by force or persuasion, they compliment with the name of sailor, pilot, able seaman, and abuse the other sort of man, whom they call a good-for-nothing; but that the true pilot must pay attention to the year and seasons and sky and stars and winds, and whatever else belongs to his art, if he intends to be really qualified for the command of a ship, and that he must and will be the steered, whether other people like or not-the possibility of this union of authority with the steerer's talent has never seriously entered into their thoughts or been made part of their calling. Now in vessels that are in a state of mutiny and by sailors who are mutineers, how will the true pilot be regarded? Will he not be called by them a prater, a star-gazer, a good-for-nothing?”
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Although the governors of today are of a different stamp, they may be justly compared to the mutinous sailors, and the true helmsmen to those who are called by them good-for-nothings and stargazers.

The parable of philosophers having no honor in their society; their having honor would be far more extraordinary. The best of philosophy to be useless to the world could be right; but also attribute philosopher’s uselessness to the fault of those who will not use them, and not to philosophy.

The pilot should not humbly beg the sailors to be commanded by him believed Socrates that is not the order of nature; or 'the wise to go to the doors of the rich' --the ingenious author of this saying told a lie --but the truth is, that, when a person is ill, whether he be rich or poor, to the physician must go, and anyone who wants to be governed, to the philosopher who is able to govern.

Philosophy the noblest pursuit of al is not likely to be much esteemed by those of the opposite faction; not that the greatest and most lasting injury is done to her by her opponents, but by her own professing philosophers, the greater number of them are arrant rogues, and the best are useless And the reason why the good are useless is the corruption of the majority is unavoidable, and that this is not to be laid to the charge of philosophy.

True lovers of knowledge is always striving after true being that is their nature; philosophers will not rest in the multiplicity of individuality which is appearance only, but will go on the keen edge not blunted, nor force of desire be abate until he have attained the knowledge of the true nature of every essence by a sympathetic and kindred power in the soul, and by that power drawing near and mingling and becoming incorporate with very being, having begotten mind and truth, he will have knowledge and will live and grow truly, and then, and not till then, will philosophy cease from its travail.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Socrates believed the worthy disciples of philosophy will be but a small remnant: perchance some noble and well-educated person, who in the absence of corrupting influences remains devoted to love of knowledge and truth or some lofty soul born in a poor city, contemns and neglects politics; and there may be a gifted few who leave the arts, and come to her; or peradventure there are some who are restrained by our friend Theages' bridle; for everything in the life of Theages conspired to divert him from philosophy; but ill-health kept him away from politics. Socrates own case of the internal sign is hardly worth mentioning, for rarely, if ever, has such a monitor been given to any other person.

Only a small class have tasted how sweet and blessed a possession philosophy is, and have also seen enough of the madness of the multitude; know that no politician is honest, nor is there any champion of justice at whose side they may fight and be saved. Such an one may be compared to a man who has fallen among wild beasts --he will not join in the wickedness of his fellows, but neither is he able singly to resist all their fierce natures, and therefore seeing that he would be of no use to the State or to his friends, and reflecting that he would have to throw away his life without doing any good either to himself or others, he holds his peace, and goes his own way. He is like one who, in the storm of dust and sleet which the driving wind hurries along, retires under the shelter of a wall; and seeing the rest of mankind full of wickedness, he is content, if only he can live his own life and be pure from evil or unrighteousness, and depart in peace and good-will, with bright hopes.

From the Republic V1
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Knowledge gets degraded into something lifeless and inert, not known as an immanent living principle of this being nor is there any comprehension of how this entity its intrinsic and peculiar way of expressing and producing itself takes effect.

The very kernel of the anything always takes a survey of the whole, assumes a position above mere being about which does not see it at all.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Aristotle believed reason turns out to be an activity of the mind in accordance with virtue and felt that virtue was more valuable than good. “As Minerva fully armed springs forth from the head of Jupiter the mind alone is capable of assuring me what I see is good not merely an unconscious observer who perceives nothing more than present. They are unworthy have nothing akin to knowledge. The mind is merely my unconscious overseer perceives nothing more than present without any assistance of senses persevere until intelligence arrives at the perception of good.

Reason stored in memory or through the sight or touch, or of some other senses that were acquired before birth or at least the moment born. Knowledge, truth, beauty, justice, holiness and all which are stamped with the name of good.

He never left Greece. You can get the feel of the land in Phaedra’s when Socrates and Phaedra’s walk together outside the wall. They eventually sat in front of tallest plane tree where there was a gentle breeze and grass to lie on. Socrates and Phaedra are talked about the nourishment of truth and reason. Knowledge demands in the first place philosophers who are willing to exalt profound thought and eternal ideas. It has been only in modern times that philosophy, has been separated from science. Aristotle physics is far more philosophical then physics, it is only in modern times that philosophy and science have been separated. Philosophy is very closely united to nature and so to speak, is the ultimate and absolute truth of consciousness.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

To awaken knowledge buried in the mind for many years. My book is substantial in character lifts the world out of life that is mere vhance and change into a being a citizen of the world.

To reach universal existence takes effort takes the pulse of he philosopher rightly educated. Knowledge is the most useful instrument.. Just the same as we learn to read we the eager to make them known

This universal being takes effect no doubt takes labor in attaining this stage of independence takes magnificence, concord, beauty, and good are pulse of the philosopher. If we want to do our work as philosophers in life everything shall flow like a gentle wind from a purer region. The mind rightly educated is the noble and good recognized and saluted philosopher.

Knowledge is a most effective instrument in the mind of a philosopher find their way imparting grace. Socrates believed music is just as knowledge, to be everywhere eager to make them known. Only when we know the notes exactly can we ever become musical and know the essential forms of temperance, courage, liberality, and magnificence. When our minds are harmonized with the fairest of sights to those who have an eye to see it. The fairest is always the loveliest and philosophers have this spirit of harmony are always in love with the loveliest.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »