A Philosophy of Mind

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Rortabend

Re: Navel gazing

Post by Rortabend »

I disagree. Scepticism is the endpoint of first belief. At the beginning of the circle we see its end.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Rortabend,

Could you explain more please. I am not quite sure what you mean.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Nothing is a determinate nothing, ends with nothing an empty determinate and not a step farther, as determinate negation is where a new ideal has thereby immediately arisen; and with the idea is made through and through the complete comes about. Then dear, doubt skepticism hide precisely behind self-importance that barren ego that knows to belittle every truth and turns away, knows how to dispel every possible ideal found. Hegel wrote, “The first step to success is fear.”

Purpose is unable to go beyond immediate existence but by some other force goes beyond and to do this must be like self being wrenched out of immediate setting. Therefore, self suffers this violence at its own hands; destroy self-satisfaction. Skepticism, the secret is to withdraw and struggle to preserve reason calm down and know skepticism, doubt and fear will suffer violence at the hands of reason.

Skepticism conceals self from self is what makes it so difficult to find truth only vanity being ever so much cleverer than any which one, understands how to belittle, gloats over in private always knows how to dissipate with our own hands.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Self seeks only an isolated existence on its own account this is its satisfaction must be left to self; it flees the world.
For knowledge is light by which the truth comes in contact, truth is the highest identity, which self has, as the significance of absolute power and the absolute mind, and essence.

Truth does not lie in the field of opinion, or clever indirect axioms, it is information the mind summons knowledge to contemplate truth. Truth is not a point of view. Truth brings to bear working and actualizing comes into being when all that is present is factual. In other words, truth brings the end to light and establishes something good and eternal.

That is truth framed by the mind tested by the senses is in other words, certainty of being because truth is merely the bare. "I think, therefore I am”. Only when self comes forward asserts this not just certainty of self but reason, is there bare and simple truth.

Truth ever lasting, ever learning is not so far indeed from total pleasure.
Through reflection comes truth and with it compassion of other. This power in the mind of everyone and is most good. What is truth but objective reality, in other words, certainty, the bare reason of self?

Knowledge is truth its essential principle embrace nothing less than the entire system of consciousness concerning the whole realm of truth and in such that truth is set forth not as abstract, but as desirable consciousness. Therefore, consciousness becomes recognized with this very stage proper of mind. Truth is related to knowledge and posited as the aspect of being.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Knowledge leads mind toward truth. What is great and what is small arises one is the reverse of the other involves the idea of contradiction. Truth its essential principle embraces nothing less than the entire system of knowledge. The whole realm of the truth is set forth not as abstract, but as virtue of knowledge. The intellectual world is through the medium of our senses; what is great and what is small arises from the distinction of the visible and the intelligible world.

When mind is perplexed, knowledge is aroused wants to arrive at what is truth. The inquiry draws and converts the mind to contemplate truth. All these images that dwell in our mind are embossed by the intervention of our senses and they communicate impressions upon what is regarded as reason and truth.

Through reflection comes truth the power in the mind of everyone and is most good. What is truth but impartial certainty "I think, therefore I am”?

Truth straightway appearance perceives things only by the help of sight, hearing, or some other senses but before seeing or hearing or perceiving truth must have knowledge.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

What rules self is knowledge and the object of knowledge is thinking. Truth is solely the facts of life. But life is absolute ideal we can only be grasp it only in theory because of all the perpetual actions of earth. Whenever there is an inner and outer, cause and effect, subjectivity and objectivity, or means, there is life.

All life is bound up with the process of the Earth. In every life process, there is a determination of earth, for everything is subjective to earth or more so is a product or effect of earth. Earth unites all subjects together within like a bouquet bound together, this is the analog of life vital process, no member of life can endure without it

Opposites present that interconnectedness, the alteration of seasons and day and night, the transition from waking to sleeping.

Life is an ordered and harmonious system where celestial bodies separate into particular bodies as moments not pulling in different directions. They go on their way as the ancients say, like blessed gods.

The whole Godly like relation between subjectivity and objectivity is much like the crystal nucleus molecules that connect themselves to the middle of the surface in a kind of successive series. Self is developed out of opposition come under the might of subjectivity a living subject preserves itself only from the resources in life.

Therefore, subjectivity is produced at the expense of life; we exist through a process subject to air, and fire, water, earth, for they are the roots of subjectivity.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Hi Barbara,
Belated Happy Birthday Greetings to you.

At last! Some Phenomenology.
Barbara Brooks wrote:Feeling is the unconscious working and weaving of mind. All feelings dwell in the mind are received and imprinted by the intervention of the senses. Feeling is the supreme wealth of self-identity the simply in communion with self.
So Feeling is really a mind operation. One I am not aware of but still have the feeling? So I don’t know the source but do know the result. Correct? If so, I would suggest that the source of feeling comes not from the senses but from the body’s glandular responses, the emotions, to what its senses are sensing.
I’m unsure what you mean by “intervention of the senses”? Are you saying there is a realm of Feeling that is being incorrectly represented by the senses? I would have said that there is Reality that the senses transform, feelings are what we, mind, make of what the body thinks about it.
Everything is reduced to feeling; it is the highest privilege we have outwardly a general sense of feeling; the skin, the noise are connected with the principle of air and breathing. Voice is one, declares feelings.
Everything is feeling? Can you not think of one thing that is not reduced to feeling?
I do agree that it is a privilege that we are minds.
Feeling shuts out the outside world over against self is a state of tension but in such a way that the connection between in the two has independent ends, appear mutually opposed yet at the same time are instinctual. Feeling is simply a way of offering resistance to the outside. Feeling means simply in communion with self. Sleep to rest the body and wake to gather food and build shelter is as far as animals are determined a practical relationship. Waking and sleeping, the migration of animals; of fishes to other seas is a sharing in the like of nature. This is why we feel, the sentient creature contain a relationship with the outside and which excites feelings.
It is not necessary that Feeling shuts out the outside world over against self. It will produce a state of tension as Feeling is where the mind should pay attention to what its bodily sense are telling it. Feeling is not simply a way of offering resistance to an outside world. It is also a guide to what your senses are telling you, over and above what your mind might be making up. Being in ‘touch’ with your feelings may be self-communion but its better to be in-communication with your feelings.
I agree that we can experience a kinship with animals with respect to existence. Its because they have bodies that we recognize as living.
The mechanical sphere of feeling is the faculty of perception two fold, the principle of sight and images. For in sight, we see things with two eyes but have one vision, or more so, one point at a time. In sight it is possible to see an object and at the same time give attention to your finger, you become aware of your finger without changing the course or direction of your eyes and see both objects at once.
The truly mechanical sphere of feeling is the endocrine system as feelings are names associated with the process of producing emotions, i.e. the releases of hormonal chemicals. I agree that the phenomenological sphere of feeling may largely lie in ‘sights’ and images.
I had a problem in trying to recreate your experiment. Whilst looking at an object and then holding up a finger in view, I can understand what you mean by ‘attention’ verses ‘seeing’. But, I ‘attent' two fingers? So am I seeing three objects?
Yours,
Kim
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Kim,

The criterion of knowledge is not truth, but wisdom, insight, and understanding that derives from the senses. A theoretical approach is called the mechanical sphere of feeling determines and distinguishes the outside world. Freethinking therefore there can be nothing so remote that you cannot know.

Sensibility differentiates distinguishes the non-sentient from the sentient creature. Therefore, the sentient creature contains a relationship with the outside world and that is why we feel, the outside world excites emotion.

We animal creatures have a center within therefore we offer resistance to outside world in particular ways. Now sight just like hearing is the sense of the brain, voice expresses pain, desire, joy, contentment, Every animal suffering has a voice and declares its feeling.

Every animal has feeling as a way of offering resistance to other. Thus feeling has consciousness, as self-consciousness, free and impartial. Feeling is in a state of tension with the world over against it, while at the same time feeling is an instinctual process a three fold, theoretical, practical and last the determinate of feeling that is reflected into self, the glandular emotion, that excites a particular emotion outside of self.

Feeling the inner stimuli is the migration of animals, or fishes. Sleep look how one falls asleep without setting about doing so we sleep out of instinct just as we gather food the principle to which people aspire is the theoretical determinate.

It is a privilege to feel at home with self. In a conscious awaken state is sensibility which differentiates self from the outside world. This is a threefold process: wakefulness from sleep the faculty of perception, second, living with others as practical, if our organism is hostile we will not come into self for our organism is precisely the mediation involving self with outer world and return to self. This is a double determination: first, the rejecting by the whole structure, its hostility towards the outer world and second, reproduction, or self-preservation. This kind of enlightenment is called spirit or the unconscious inner working and weaving but it has no real self-distinguishing consciousness. Last is emotion like the change of temperature; the migration of animals, of fishes to other seas is a sharing in the like of nature. Instinct as in building of nests and other resting places is directed to formal assimilation, effects its specific nature in the details of its non-organic nature and gives them an outer form.

The mind what a remarkable phenomenon, it appears to be conscious but is really unconsciousness.

Thank you for the birthday greeting.

Best regards,
Barbara
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Hi Barbara,
Barbara Brooks wrote: The criterion of knowledge is not truth, but wisdom, insight, and understanding that derives from the senses. A theoretical approach is called the mechanical sphere of feeling determines and distinguishes the outside world. Freethinking therefore there can be nothing so remote that you cannot know.
I agree that the test for knowledge is whether one can reproduce it for ones senses but I do not understand is why the "mechanical sphere of feeling" is a "theoretical approach". What do you mean by this? Also which "determines and distinguishes the outside world"? The theoretical or the mechanical? I also agree that "there can be nothing so remote that you cannot know".
Sensibility differentiates distinguishes the non-sentient from the sentient creature. Therefore, the sentient creature contains a relationship with the outside world and that is why we feel, the outside world excites emotion.
I agree. Reality is sensed, emotions are excited, feelings are had and feedback sent.
We animal creatures have a center within therefore we offer resistance to outside world in particular ways. Now sight just like hearing is the sense of the brain, voice expresses pain, desire, joy, contentment, Every animal suffering has a voice and declares its feeling.
I'd say, We animals have a body therefore we transform the outside world in particular ways.
'Brain sense' What does this mean? Where is the 'brain' with respect to mind? The 'brain' as a separate entity from the nervous system is a physical fiction.
I agree with the idea that voice identifies consciouness of 'self', to ones self and to others and that an animal uses its voice to 'declare' its emotions. Is this the same as us declaring our feelings?
Every animal has feeling as a way of offering resistance to other. Thus feeling has consciousness, as self-consciousness, free and impartial. Feeling is in a state of tension with the world over against it, while at the same time feeling is an instinctual process a three fold, theoretical, practical and last the determinate of feeling that is reflected into self, the glandular emotion, that excites a particular emotion outside of self.
Is it not that animals have emotions as way way of judging resistance? So consciousness is the ability to have emotions. Feelings may well be experienced as a state of tension in opposition to 'the world' but I think the emotions are the determinate and "instinctual process", with the feelings being theoretical and practical tools of mind which can be used to feedback information to the instinctual processes.
So we agree that glandular emotions are the things that let self know it is a self?
Feeling the inner stimuli is the migration of animals, or fishes. Sleep look how one falls asleep without setting about doing so we sleep out of instinct just as we gather food the principle to which people aspire is the theoretical determinate.
I think I'm getting the idea now. When you use "Feeling" I mean emotion?
But I'm lost about "the principle" and the "theoretical determinate".
It is a privilege to feel at home with self. In a conscious awaken state is sensibility which differentiates self from the outside world. This is a threefold process: wakefulness from sleep the faculty of perception, second, living with others as practical, if our organism is hostile we will not come into self for our organism is precisely the mediation involving self with outer world and return to self. This is a double determination: first, the rejecting by the whole structure, its hostility towards the outer world and second, reproduction, or self-preservation. This kind of enlightenment is called spirit or the unconscious inner working and weaving but it has no real self-distinguishing consciousness. Last is emotion like the change of temperature; the migration of animals, of fishes to other seas is a sharing in the like of nature. Instinct as in building of nests and other resting places is directed to formal assimilation, effects its specific nature in the details of its non-organic nature and gives them an outer form.
I can't agree more about the "It is a privilege to feel at home with self." idea. And why we know when we are awake and when we aren't. I fundamentally agree that selfs are created by others but the rest is abstruse for me, "double determination", "rejecting by the whole structure", "hostility towards the outer world and second, reproduction, or self-preservation.". Can you clarify for me please.
The mind what a remarkable phenomenon, it appears to be conscious but is really unconsciousness.
You bettcha, none more interesting, complicated and fun!! :)
Although I still think you are making a mistake saying that the mind has an unconsciousness, thats the body, and its still readable.

Love to you and yours.
Kim
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Kim,

In life, the mind completely masters body, therefore, the living creature is individual subdued within self and is active within self. Self-preservation, its own self rounded totality divided into three systems, the head, thorax and abdomen, subjectivity and objectivity share in each system.

The internal systems are sensibility, irritability and reproduction, Hegel calls, “The crystal of vitality.” Thus, the skull is the center of sensibility, the thorax is of irritability and of reproduction, and the glandular is both the unity of the blood.

These systems of sensibility, irritability and reproduction are linked together by the other that gives interconnection to life form and at the same time, each maintains a total system. Each system penetrates the other and connects with all and each for example the system of sensibility the nerves, veins, blood, bones, muscles, skin, glands, are each of part of the head, the brain, system of sensibility, also bones, nerves; but belongs to the system of irritability; The heart, the seat of life, the center of vital functions is everywhere and part of the organism particularized force.

The Hindus believe if we could maintain in pure sameness we would pass away into transparency.

Love to you and your family,

Barbara
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

I began writing not for the likes of anybody but me. The art of disputation it is the same in every language to be found. A discourse ought to be a living personalized language of one generation and all generations.

Hegel guided me to all the great philosophers; I love him and Socrates and Plato’s writings of Socrates the wisest person in the world.

In order to understand Hegel a most abstract philosopher I started writing a diary; I ended up with 17 books hand-written I call, ‘The Weeping Wall’. I do nothing but complain in these books of my miserable life and the harshness of trying to understand Hegel. I started each chapter with “Another Day”, just those words I would feel at home with my dearest friend. I cried all my woes, which was very helpful to discipline me to write daily.

There is nothing under the sun new. Philosophy comes from the ancients, they discussed hard questions not something that can be thought casually for everyone to understand.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Living flourishing love is the middle term between ignorance and knowledge. Descartes believed that the requisite of love above all establishes reason between the divine and human mysteries and prophecy and prayer find their way.

The love of knowledge is good, and noble learning. True learning Protagorus thought was through conversation discussion asking and answering, beating the subject up and down. He thought to speak of what every one knows would be tedious.

Turn back to the period which took place thousands of years ago when philosophy was known to be the love of knowledge that was viewed as essential and distinctive contributions to the field of science and the intellectual world. Philosophers like good farmers need to watch over their crops nurturing and cultivating Philosophy‘s gentle qualities and calm and remove the dislike of learning.

Love of knowledge is lodged in the philosopher’s heart, depends upon their discipline; if the better elements of the mind lead to order and mastery of self, freeing the virtuous elements; is there any greater blessing than this?
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Love is worth all other friends or family when this feeling comes nearer and embraces then the fountain of that stream, which Zeus as for an example when he was in love with Ganymede also named Desire, overflowed into his mind flowed out, so does the stream of love, passing through the eyes which are the windows of the mind, returns to the lover; watering and filling with love. Thus, we know not what love, nor do we understand or explain this state; love ceases from pain, when away from love we long for.

The problem is we would like to have a little pleasure in return for many pains of our labor for love, but love says not a word, is only bursting with that understand; but cannot refuse love anything, even with the arguments of shame and reason.

Philosophers love truth and knowledge from the earliest youth. We are lovers of learning absorbed in the pleasures of knowledge if we mean to be a true philosopher and not a charade.

The slave and master is solely a unity of mind, knowledge an instrument liberates the mind is the labor of love. Master and slave are equally in themselves the truth. Love is a chain, for it keeps us in bondage in order to succeed. In the things, we love.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Philosophers are the attendants of Zeus the winged god, and can endure a heavier burden every one chooses their love according to their character, and this makes which philosophers to fall down and worship, love and fashion and adorns as a image The followers of Zeus have a mind like him; and therefore seek out a philosophical and imperial nature, and when they have found love the philosopher they have been compelled possessed like the Bacchic Nymphs, they draw inspiration from Zeus.

Knowledge must raise a pang or emotion in the philosopher’s breast. Philosophers must make no excuses of its love and there is nothing they will not say, in order not to lose a single flower that blooms from love of wisdom. Those who have tasted knowledge and are curious to learn, always striving never satisfied may be justly called a philosopher. Am I not right?
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

As matters stand today philosophy has been given little honor, if it were there could be great discoveries such as Kepler’s Law of Motion But, even today as disregarded, as philosophy is forces its way by natural appeal, and very likely some day will emerge into light.

With careful thought comes empathy, this is philosophy and is most good. The love of learning is good gentle and noble philosophy; what is required is courage, is skill, and well-being.

The highest worthy of attaining is good. Only by good do all things become useful and advantageous. The idea of good is the spirit of philosophy where love is all bound together and thoughts find their way.

The spectator of all time harmoniously constituted, just and gentle even in youth is the philosopher. Philosophy comes from ancients and is not something that can be talked casually for everyone to understand.