A Philosophy of Mind

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

I got involved with philosophy when I read Hegel's Natural Law. A small book but took me two years to read I fell in love with Socrates who is known to be the wisest person in the world. In 1980, in order to sweep out the cobwebs from my brain and get understanding I began writing a diary. I stopped writing in it in 1994 and ended up with 17 books. I call them my weeping wall.
The pathway to knowledge has two companions, the intellectual world and visible world. Intellectual world has the power of elevating the mind to the highest principles of existence is the art of reason. The mind functions as a centrality to the extremes of each. It is a silent activity that expounds without action self-returning totality has vitality and retains it in face of overwhelming influences. Know thy self is the beginning element of thought this is pure knowing and because pure knowing is absolute truth of reason that all things which fall under the mind; there can be nothing so remote that we cannot reason.

Heaven and all creation would collapse and never again have motion or birth without reason. From the mind is derived reason that all sensible creatures aim at. The faculty of reason is skillfully disposed in our thoughts with a view to render them clear and intelligible. Reason is the best able to persuade others of the truth not rhetoric fancies as the best poets. But reason as a science on account of the certitude and evidence but not precise science but contributes to the advancement of the sciences. Reason forms a more correct conclusion regarding our thoughts, and prevents rhetoric. It is considered the greatest advantage to employ all the powers of our mind in choosing the paths we ought to follow.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

We must not lose the quality of gentleness on our way through life. If educated rightly, we would be gentle and judicious. The harmonious mind is both pleasant and brave and the inharmonious is cowardly and boorishly uncivilized. We need not never using the weapon of persuasion like wild animals, all violence and fierceness, they seem to know no other way of dealing. They have no sense of propriety and grace, always abusing and finding fault.

We must demand in the first place a willing to give not superficial rhetoric ideas of knowledge but profound thought that exalt infinitude of ideas of truth, justice, courage, and temperance.

Purpose is what we must reflect on and get rid of all the lamentations which are likely to have a bad effect on those who hear them; for like everybody we are all guilty of making misstatements Earnestly I beg we not introduce this lamenting and misery here!

We must not abandon this fundamental neutral spot. When truth, a kindred power of the mind is the captain the power of incorporating with, knowledge, justice and health of mind all in company then temperance follows.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

There is a truth which all philosophy ought to reach, and which all students ought also to attain, and not to fall short of. That’s when all knowledge reaches a point of elective affinity, not till then will the pursuit of knowledge and truth have any value.

The person who knows the truth will always know best how to discover the resemblances of it. There is nothing that assures us of anything without resemblances because there is always some contradiction present in what is or what is not.

Stand firm refuse to be led astray by what people think you should be and what they think you ought to be, all those supposed empty ought tobe. To distinguish truthfulness from error must not be taken as if it were purely an idea or an act or a service. Nor must we think distinguishing produces any kind of action. Truthfulness is where mind breaks out passes over into a concrete external act.

Unity of self produces truth and links together with divine law; the unconscious spirit comes to actuality, and rises out of the state of unkindness into good and constitutes the element of divine and human rule.

Here the world-spirit comes into being all that is present in truth. Reason appears in every self-consciousness is the first positive character which is the pathway to philosophy. Here embraces nothing less than the entire realm is set forth not abstract, but pure idea, pure implicit spirit within self.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Happy Winter Soltice. The sun mounting higher and higher is daylight and when the sun reaches its highest point sinks to its lowest point is night. The greatest heat and the greatest cold depends on height of the sun; the greatest heat and the greatest cold fall in June and December at the solstices, the equinox is the precise moment when the sun crosses the equator. even at the poles, the greatest cold occurs in January and the greatest heat in July and August.

The beginning of November, after autumnal equinox are cold and storms. The spring equinox, the fine weather is at the end of February, March and April bring is similar to November storms and the same in July after the summer solstice there is a sudden drop in temperature.

Goethe who has compared barometric reading from the same latitude on different meridians in Europe, America and Asia found that the variation of the barometric level were synchronized : for example in the tropics winds from Europe always blow from the northeast. The nearer to the equator the more the winds blow from the east, trade winds which are constant east winds. The more distance from the equator the winds take on a southerly direction until they are south-east. In India the barometer almost always stands at the same level. No thunderstorms were found by Perry in the polar regions, but almost every night he saw the northern lights in all directions.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Through reflection comes truth and with truth comes compassion of other. This is in the mind of everyone and is most good. Truth makes obvious the course of our purpose what is truth but objective reality, that assurance of being. Only when self comes forward asserts not just this certainty but purpose is there bare and simple truth.

Truth comes forward pure inner being with the world over against it. In one way purpose is the imperturbable truth, in the form of intending" or meaning, perceiving, and understanding, which grasps what is "meant" and what is "perceived" Purpose a restless search, which in its very process of seeking truth is utterly impossible to have the satisfaction of finding.

Because purpose and feelings goes to war in the mind at times, desires can prevail over purpose and that is a struggle, like the struggle of division; As Socrates described it like watching an archer pushing and pulling the bow at the same time, one hand pushes and the other pulls. One bids and the other forbids, the forbidding and bidding one .the one we call the rational the other, passion, feelings and desires, pleasures and satisfactions. The mind attains truth when the mind is gathered into itself and none of worldly things that trouble it, neither sounds nor sights nor pain nor pleasure we aspire after true being.

So long as we have a sound heart and spirit, the search for truth awakes all the enthusiasm of life.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

The land of truth is at home in virtue. At ancient times, virtue had a secure and determinate significance; was the solid base of reason was good.

The mind exhibits an eagerness to behold true opinion. Without mind, memory, knowledge, and truth we would be ignorant of whether we are happy or not, and we would be entirely devoid of a conscious life. Truth vanishes in the course of the experience as mere sense-certainty, a perception, or conception or the first immediate idea is cancelled in the course of experience.

Certainty vanishes when consciousness makes a difference. Into the native land of truth is self-conscious moments are vanishing.

Writing permeates the truth; it keeps it from vanishing that is why I say Socrates should have written. His true opinions would have be permeated and not tossed around by false opinions. Thank god Plato wrote of Socrates he was a disciple he followed Socrates, around at a young age scribing his words permeating truth just like any other artist does.

Take for example the orator they have the art of enchanting the mind, must have to knowledge of the differences of people and there are many people and of such a natures. The orator must have a good theoretical reasoning and must have experience; not till then is orator perfect in the art of speaking or writing.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Turn back to the epoch of time, which took place centuries ago. A revival as such is recommended. Realize the unfolding of things is what makes time, if everything stood still even our imagination then everything would endure but all things are temporal and subject to change. Time passes away and does not rest is eternal, it will not come to be, nor was it, but it is.

All material things are temporal because they are subject to change, but time goes on and on without a beginning or end. The only standpoint is now, Look at Achilles the Greek flower of life and Alexander The Great, that infinitely powerful individual they do not survive only their actions are recorded and deeds The universal of all moments is now, endures throughout all the moments of time, it is a standpoint. Time is only a change of motion, the arrow does not leave its place is precisely is endless meaning Zeno of Elea showed the world; there are three different places, that which is about to be occupied, that which has just been vacated and throughout all these changes remains in place.

Now, before and after, three motions in time, a circle of the unity, the arrow proceed to a place which is its future and leave one which is its past, yet the arrow is already am in place it was reaching which is present. Since there is motion something moves, hat moves are things in space, just as there is no motion without matter, there is no space without time. A process, a change of time and space and space and time peacefully united.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Philosophy cultivated for many ages by the most illustrious people, and that yet there is not a single word within which is not still in being cultivated, therefore, nothing, is above doubt, all is probable. Then no matter what criticism is about never refrain from purpose.

In ancient times, philosophy had a secure and solid base was reason. Philosopher exhibited an eagerness to behold the highest part of the mind. In truth, real consciousness is present working and actualizing objectivity in the spirit of philosophy.

There are a gallery of noble minds and heroes in history. Achieving demands in the first place a willing to give not superficial rhetoric but profound thought that exalts an infinitude of ideas about knowledge, truth, justice, courage, and temperance.

I have never imagine to be in any way perfect than those of anyone else actually I have often wished that I were equal to others, or at least have clearness and distinctiveness and memory of others. I had to form a method of discipline that raised my mind little by little gradually to the highest point life permits me to reach.

Words are given to us all through generation and each generation is to relate all things for the sake of preserving truth. The art of discourse is one and the same given; in every generation, there are words that find a likeness of everything. Every word written is a demonstration of the likenesses that was used before. That is why I write to permeate the truth which was before, I mean a likeness of everything to which can be found.

The art of disputation, is an art not confined to formal courts and the congress, but is the same in every use of language; this is an art, not thrown down anyhow. Is there any principle in them not just what came into my head as mere rhetoric. Words ought to be a living adapted language of one generation and all generations.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Philosophy cultivated for many ages by the most illustrious people, and that yet there is not a single word within which is not still in being cultivated, therefore, nothing, is above doubt, all is probable. Then no matter what criticism is about never refrain from purpose.

In ancient times, philosophy had a secure and solid base was reason. Philosopher exhibited an eagerness to behold the highest part of the mind. In truth, real consciousness is present working and actualizing objectivity in the spirit of philosophy.

There are a gallery of noble minds and heroes in history. Achieving demands in the first place a willing to give not superficial rhetoric but profound thought that exalts an infinitude of ideas about knowledge, truth, justice, courage, and temperance.

I have never imagine to be in any way perfect than those of anyone else actually I have often wished that I were equal to others, or at least have clearness and distinctiveness and memory of others. I had to form a method of discipline that raised my mind little by little gradually to the highest point life permits me to reach.

Words are given to us all through generation and each generation is to relate all things for the sake of preserving truth. The art of discourse is one and the same given; in every generation, there are words that find a likeness of everything. Every word written is a demonstration of the likenesses that was used before. That is why I write to permeate the truth which was before, I mean a likeness of everything to which can be found.

The art of disputation, is an art not confined to formal courts and the congress, but is the same in every use of language; this is an art, not thrown down anyhow. Is there any principle in them not just what came into my head as mere rhetoric. Words ought to be a living adapted language of one generation and all generations.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

World and consciousness stand in contrast, reason is the middle or mediating term, unites and acts and carries out purpose. This light of unity and truth is an action that dominates the action of the whole world and consciousness.

This light of reason must be substantial in character, must be entirely self and universal not taken as if it were mere service. Reason does not produce any kind of action; it is pure spirit, the immediate truth and reverent devotion.

The same devotion of parents towards our children is affected with emotion Here reason that apprehends explicit truth and real universal spirit linked together; here unconscious spirit comes to actuality, and rises out of the state of apathy into the whole conscious universal spirit.

Reason appears in every self-consciousness is the first positive character which self-consciousness is aware of. The slave of love of anything into something has not only positive significance but also objectivity, for anything to become something is through struggle. The process is twofold, self-yielding self and slave of love. We must slave in order to succeed without reservation in attaining and finding satisfaction. As Hegel said, in order to be a slave you must be a master and in order to have a master you must be a slave.

Reason takes a slave attitude and turns it rounds into a master attitude is the middle term, or more so the meaning, anywhere there are extremes there is reason. It broadcast, declares and proclaims self has self-consciousness I am I is all truth and all that is present is truth.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

All the great discussions and high speculations about truth comes loftiness of thought is the quality that we gentle people have.

Truth is found where the highest part of the mind resides, there where the wings on which the mind soars. Find truth above all, remove it from mere opinion; go beyond the visible world.

What is truth but real or in other words, the assurance of self, not knowledge that is sheer intelligence as its criterion, not truth but wisdom, insight, understanding, and perception?

Truth is the essential principle that embraces nothing less than the entire system of consciousness and in such truth is set forth not as abstract, but as realization.

In seeking truth be patient under suffering is the best, and that we should not give way to impatience, as there is no knowing whether such things are good or bad; and nothing is gained by impatience; grief stands in the way of that which at the moment is most required.

The pathway to truth; its essential principle embraces nothing less than the whole system concerning philosophy and in such philosophy sets forth not as theoretical, but as consciousness. Everything has reason dwelling within, a certainty of self.

Truth does not lie in the field of opinion, nor clever indirect axioms, it is information. The mind summons knowledge drawing and converting it to the contemplate truth. Truth is not a point of view. Truth brings to bear working and actualizing comes into being when all that is present is factual. In other words, truth brings the end to light and establishes something good and eternal.

That is truth framed by the mind tested by the senses true being, in other words, the certainty of self because truth is merely the bare reason of being. "I think, therefore I am”. Only when self comes forward asserts not just certainty of itself but reason, the bare and simple truth.

;

It is knowledge in which all arts and sciences use in common, every one first has to learn is a little matter of distinguishing. Reason raises the very light of the body to sight the brightest in the material visible world. There is no other method of comprehending or determining anything. Let the other sciences try as much as they like to get along without reason they are unable to stay afloat without reason’s spiritual significance and truth.
Then knowledge is the process of remembering and may be rightly termed recollection. Those who know only remember. Therefore continue to have knowledge throughout life Arithmetic has a very great elevating effect; it compels the mind to knowledge about things and defies any one who attempts to divide one. Arithmetic’s takes care that one shall always be one and not lost in fractions.

You will not easily find a more difficult study or not many as difficult then Mathematics or Arithmetic’s, it is a kind of knowledge in which the best learning natures should be trained in and never given the study up. The criterion of knowing is not truth, but wisdom, insight, and understanding that derive from the senses. Once it is thought of it is known, nothing turns into something. In other words, supposing something to be or not to be, I must look at the parts to the thing itself. Learning is natural inherent impulse like the magnetism, the same as we sleep to rest our body and wake to gather food and build. The mind is like system independent, feeling, perceives, reasons, wills and thinks. A remarkable thing is it appears as self-conscious but is unconscious.

One must have reason in order to act straight away of whatever the circumstances is without troubling about starting again, the means, or end, just proceeds to action again. One who knows has knowledge but those who have opinion only how can that, which is not known ever, be. The ignorant is the lesser of the wise, the spineless of the courageous, the boring of the clever. These are mental defects; which, when implanted by nature, are necessarily a delight to the ignorant and therefore cannot help being jealousy and excessive fear are compelled to banish knowledge; and there is no greater injury which can be inflicted upon on a person then ignorance.

The absolute end of anything and consequence is reason. But reason the victim of outside influences attacks it and try to drive it onto the path of doubt or onto the road of despair. Consciousness is always-unthinking sluggishness reason agitates disturbs the laziness.

Those who have a natural talent for science is generally quick at every kind of knowledge. And even those not so quick and have arithmetical training become much quicker than they would otherwise have been.
This is that strain which is the intellect only, where the faculty of sight will be found to imitate; And so with dialectic, when a person starts on the discovery of the absolute, by the light of reason only, and without any assistance of sense, and perseveres until pure intelligence arrives at the perception of the absolute good. At last finds itself at the end of the intellectual world, as in the case of sight at the end of the visible.

The same of Geometry, it may be truly called necessary for the realization of knowledge it is a kind of science in which the best learning natures should be trained in and never give up the study. Geometry requires you to turn and gaze where full perfection is beholden ; is necessary in all arts and skills they are used in common, which every one first has to learn, that little matter of distinguishing one, two, and three.

Therefore knowledge comes on the scene as the instrument of reason and liberate purpose pathway. Whatever is done and whatever happens to you must have reason, because no thing ever turns into something. Purpose even now as disregarded by the world, and maimed of their fair proportions, and even though uses them, still reason forces its way by natural charm and knowledge emerges into light.

Nothing short of the most finished picture is the idea of good. When little things are elaborated how ridiculous! The highest truth worthy of attaining is good. Nothing imperfect is the measure of anything. Only by good all things become useful and advantageous. The idea of good is the highest virtue. Everyone pursues it and make it the end of all action shine with radiant knowledge.

Now reason may be deemed to be like good, but its not good; good has a place of honor yet higher. It is implicit truth yet a not real but possibility, only wills to carry out good does not claim real. Plays a role in the case of virtue through sacrificing individuality. Thus inherent implicit good is present and living a process of individuality. It is being sure of reality as it stands, not opposition but as good consciousness immediate and unchanging. The perfection, which is of the intellect only, which all knowledge ought to reach, and attain is the hymn of dialectic,

Dialectic is the release of the prisoner from the chains, or from the shadows to the light not vainly with weak eyes merely seeing the images in the water and shadows of true existence. Dialectic has the power of elevating the highest principle in mind to the contemplation that which is best in existence, I compare the raising of mind which is the very light of the body to the see that which is brightest in the material and visible world.

Astronomy as in geometry should let the heavens alone to make the natural gift of its purpose to be of any real use. To approach the subject in the right way there is good one which all knowledge ought to reach, and which students ought also to attain, and not to fall short of.

All these studies, Arithmetic, geometry, astronomy reach the point of inter-communion and connection with one another, and come to be considered in their mutual affinities is the hymn of dialectic.

We must start on this discovery by the light of reason without any assistance of senses, until by pure knowledge arrives at the perception of absolute good,
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Today justice can hardly be distinguished its been broken off and crushed and damaged by the waves covered over justice like seaweed and shells and stones, so that justice is more like some creature.

When thought is asleep injustice gets up walks about without any shame; and there is no conceivable foolishness they may not be guilty of acting. This happens even in good people there is wild-beast nature that peers out in sleep in us all.

Injustice arises when thoughts are subjected to greediness instead of good principle. The unjust in order to gain t need supporters to butter them up but when they have no longer any need of support abandon the butter ups; because a tyrant is never friend, this is unknown to them. The unjust runs from law and reason.

Injustice needs to be reproached, concealment prevents their gentler element is freed; and temperance, justice, and wisdom the most perfect harmony of body and mind into a union better far than any combination in mind

A just person even when in poverty or illness, or any other misfortunes, all things end for good as far as a person can attain a likeness of good, the pursuit of virtue.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

To declare truth we need to be sure of our footing and pray not to be wrong, because to be a deceiver about matters of laws. The fault of telling a lie is most serious; it makes it impossible knowing and not knowing, or distinguishing the face of a friend and an enemy.

At present leaders are accustomed to lead a life of luxury and idleness both of body and mind; they do nothing, and are incapable of resisting pleasures. They themselves care only for making mone for themselves. Such is the state of affairs that prevails among us.

Democracy to them is like an open market, which they pick out the one that is appealing what for the moment is delightful and nobody seems or cares. They disregard the principles of law, which were solemnly laid down at the foundation of the government. How grandly they trample under feet all the fine notions of these principles in government, never giving a thought to the pursuits, which make a states-person good and the people's friend.

They don’t seem to care, spending money unnecessarily. Unaware that when a person is out of depth whether they fallen into a little swimming pool or in mid-ocean have to try to reach the shore.

Justice, the most complete mastery over the entire human being is also the happiest of being; having wisdom as well as experience looks at the city within, pays attention that no disorder occurs such as overabundance or want. The excellence of mind and of virtue clearly wiser and better leader more able than the unjust; injustice creates division and hate and fighting but justice imparts harmony and friendship.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

The ethical society exists for the whole society has to do with community set outside family.

An ethical act must not be taken as if it was merely an act of service, an ethical act is substantial in character and universal, it lifts us out of the life of chance and change, into a peaceful simple universal society that is real and substantial. Self must come out of laziness and heartlessness into world-spirit, where wisdom, insight and understanding appear all in order moving according to reason. These we must imitate and to these we will, as far as we can, conform. Can anyone help imitating that with which is held so reverential? Of course, it takes labor effect in attaining this stage of independent the ethical community of existence with no doubt of mind.

Be a servant of good for the reason that every one had better be ruled by divine wisdom dwelling within or, if this is not possible, then by an external influence, in order that we may be all, as far as possible, under the same ethical society, friends and equals.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Just as the eye is unable to turn from darkness to light so too is the instrument of knowledge able to be turned from the world of becoming to that of being, Learning by degrees is a must to endure the sight of being the brightest and best.

With knowledge comes universal reverent feeling of devotion, where actuality rises out of the state of unkindness into universal world spirit.

Knowledge is not found in the subject of subjectivity nor is it a matter of clever phrases, and allusive turns, or half utterances but learning.

The very fact that knowledge comes on the scene is a phenomenon; as a pathway, pressing forward to truth traversing the spiritual life arrives at the knowledge of self.

Pure inner self comes forward over against the restless passing hither and thither world of seeing, grasping its imperturbable self-certainty. “Know thy self” is entangled in the world of appearance can only give certainty by exercising reason in all things. This is the highest of all gifts of humanity.