A Philosophy of Mind

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

AMod

Post by AMod »

Barbara,
Lovely homily but you missed this bit when registering,
You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should they see fit.
AMod
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

A Mod,

See that's the problem I don't think your fit for the job.
AMod

Post by AMod »

Barbara,
That is the problem, you do not 'see' that it is yours. Wolfen complained in much the same manner.
AMod
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

A Mod,
You wrote me you think that my thread has caused discontent within some and feel that your alteration will make your life easier.

You are not fit for the moderators job in my opinion.
artisticsolution

Post by artisticsolution »

Hello AS,
I took this to mean that spam type ads would be deleted. I never considered creativity would be edited by PN. What would be the point of discussing philosophy if ideas are tightly controlled within the acceptable limits of personal preferences of a few? I think we'd all be edited or removed at one point or another...lol....
So why do you think this is not whats happening then? Creativity is not being edited here. My personal possibly perceived time is. If you are one of those who think the Internet and the WWW is some kind of organic, democratic, evolved entity, good luck too you.
AMod
RickLewis

Post by RickLewis »

I'd just like to say that I think AMod does a fantastic job as moderator, and I am very grateful to him. He is very conscientious and tries extremely hard to be evenhanded and fair. He also moderates very lightly, in keeping with the general laid-back tenor of this forum.

Barbara, I do value your postings here and hope that they continue. But I really think you owe AMod a teeny apology for some of the things you've been saying about him in this thread. You've compared him with Hitler, Stalin and Pol Pot, NOT for actually deleting any of your postings, god forbid, but simply for temporarily adding a few extra words to the title of the thread! :lol:

As the celebrated Sir Jonathan McEnroe once said to an umpire: "You cannot be serious!!"
Barbara Brooks wrote: From the free encyclopedia Wikipedia: Freedom of speech is the freedom to speak freely without censorship or limitation. The synonymous term freedom of expression is sometimes used to denote not just freedom of verbal speech but any act of seeking, receiving and imparting information or ideas, regardless of the medium used. Freedom of speech and freedom of expression is closely related to, yet distinct from, the concept of freedom of conscience and freedom of thought.
Can you kindly indicate how exactly you think your freedom to speak freely without censorship or limitation has been infringed? You seem to have a pretty extensive scope to express your opinions here, as far as I can tell! All that has happened is that AMod briefly exercised his right of free speech by adding a few extra (and I think very non-offensive) words which he seems to have since removed. As the late Sir Jonathan Wayne said as he rode into the ranch: "Where's the beef?" :lol:
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Rick,

When I received my private e-mail from A Mode telling me he had change things around I then took a look. I immediately felt like a freak a total outsider of the human race. I was a caged beast.

I have managed to stand on my own here in this forum but what
A Mode managed to do was cast a dark shadow over me changing the title of my post.

Let us not think dictatorship comes out of the blue, no there is like a seed of tranny and that grows and grows unless it is interrupted.

I owe no apology to A Mode the communication that had from him was pure bully-ism and I interrupted it, the wrong was fixed, the post is back to Philosophy of Mind and that is the only thing I can say A Mode made right.
AMod

Post by AMod »

Barbara Brooks wrote:...
You are not fit for the moderators job in my opinion.
I understand from your 'philosophy' that an 'opinion' is not a 'good' thing to hold?
AMod
AMod

Post by AMod »

Barbara Brooks wrote:Rick,
When I received my private e-mail from A Mode telling me he had change things around I then took a look. I immediately felt like a freak a total outsider of the human race. I was a caged beast.
I apologise and should have thought of your emotional responses, rather than just mine. But again, instead of replying privately to complain(like any other human being to another) you use the public voice to express your emotions.
I have managed to stand on my own here in this forum but what
A Mode managed to do was cast a dark shadow over me changing the title of my post.
You have a combatitive approach to your philosophy that your words belie. I asked you in that PM if you would accept a mild and even-handed alteration to your thread in the interest of the history of philosophical thought. You also do not read the things you agree too.
Let us not think dictatorship comes out of the blue, no there is like a seed of tranny and that grows and grows unless it is interrupted.

I owe no apology to A Mode the communication that had from him was pure bully-ism and I interrupted it, the wrong was fixed, the post is back to Philosophy of Mind and that is the only thing I can say A Mode made right.
Please, the only bullying was in you having to accept that your post causes me the second most problems and the reality of the contract you signed up to. You have proved more than once that you are motivated by exactly the drives that your words disparage in others.
AMod
artisticsolution

AMod wrote:Hello AS,
I took this to mean that spam type ads would be deleted. I never considered creativity would be edited by PN. What would be the point of discussing philosophy if ideas are tightly controlled within the acceptable limits of personal preferences of a few? I think we'd all be edited or removed at one point or another...lol....
So why do you think this is not whats happening then? Creativity is not being edited here. My personal possibly perceived time is. Have I ever told you I think you are hot, Hot, HOT!
AMod
Thank You, Amod! But you didn't tell me what you thought of my slogan? :lol:

Love,

AS
AMod

Post by AMod »

artisticsolution wrote:...
Thank You, Amod! But you didn't tell me what you thought of my slogan? :lol:
Love,
AS
What slogan? The "I think you are hot ,hot, HOT!" one? If so I agree.
AMod
artisticsolution

What slogan? The "I think you are hot ,hot, HOT!" one? If so I agree.
AMod
LMAO You're okay in my book, AMod...plus... there's nothing wrong with your eyes. :P
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

To declare me creating confusion about matters of such high interest, that I am myself am only a hesitating inquirer on a slippery slope and I fear not that I shall be laughed at but that I shall miss truth where I have most need to be sure of my footing, and not drag anyone else after me in my fall.

Although I can be reduced to silence by noisy opposition, I will never attempt to impose upon anyone untruth nor thrust into making it my business to belittle anyone’s beliefs. I never tell anything but the truth, though not always exquisitely.

Truth, which the wise receive, and the skeptics disbelieve.

Skepticism, which is a worldly prudence, which the public applauds, sends philosophers bowling round the earth.

In my early thirties, I was a skeptic until I read Hegel’s Phenomenology of Spirit. When I was near finishing the book without any thought I fell to my knees prayed to God for forgiveness that I did not believe in a higher being. Hegel’s Phenomenology of Spirit caused me to completely reverse my life. Praying is one of the hardest disciplines, I believe even more then studying philosophy.

I studied philosophy through a lot of ridicule because I love it is a madness I would not let anything get in the way of learning philosophy, the noblest pursuit of all demands in the first place philosophers who are willing to give not superficially but profound love.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Sorates believed if curiosity makes a philosopher, you will find many will carry the name but they really only have a sense of philosophy not absolute philosophy and if when led to the true knowledge of philosophy will not follow. Why, because they put the copy in the place of the authentic. These curious minds are welcome to any knowledge, which they may have and we rejoice at them.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Hi BB,
Here are the questions that occur to me,
In my early thirties, I was a skeptic until I read Hegel’s Phenomenology of Spirit. When I was near finishing the book without any thought I fell to my knees prayed to God for forgiveness that I did not believe in a higher being. Hegel’s Phenomenology of Spirit caused me to completely reverse my life. Praying is one of the hardest disciplines, I believe even more then studying philosophy.
What sort of skeptic 'falls to their knees and prays to a God that they now believe in a 'higher being' because the've read a book? I'm happy for you that you've reversed whatever it was that you needed to turn around. Hegel advocates prayer? Can we equate the practice of 'prayer' and 'philosophizing'? What do you mean by 'philosophizing'?
Barbara Brooks wrote:To declare me creating confusion about matters of such high interest, that I am myself am only a hesitating inquirer on a slippery slope and I fear not that I shall be laughed at but that I shall miss truth where I have most need to be sure of my footing, and not drag anyone else after me in my fall.
Why would you think laughter would accompany truths to people? Was Hegel laughed at? What would happen if you missed truth? Safe ground is good but what 'fall'? Which others?
Although I can be reduced to silence by noisy opposition, I will never attempt to impose upon anyone untruth nor thrust into making it my business to belittle anyone’s beliefs. I never tell anything but the truth, though not always exquisitely.
But if you are telling the 'truth' then others are telling 'lies' if they don't agree with your truth? So you rest happy that at least you know what your words mean?
Truth, which the wise receive, and the skeptics disbelieve.
Sounds like, "Truth, those that agree with me, and false those who don't".
Skepticism, which is a worldly prudence, which the public applauds, sends philosophers bowling round the earth.
It may be prudent but which 'public'? Who's applauding? Which philosophers? Ten-pin, Crown Green or Table Bowls, Cricket? Why the Earth?
I studied philosophy through a lot of ridicule because I love it is a madness I would not let anything get in the way of learning philosophy, the noblest pursuit of all demands in the first place philosophers who are willing to give not superficially but profound love.
I'm sorry you were ridiculed for your study of philosophy. It does appear to be the lot of those who find these conversations interesting. Hopefully this is changing once again. I've never doubted your intention but find it 'out-of-date' as to my understanding its based upon a transcendental mind and the modern world is fast disproving this thesis with respect to phenomenological mind. So whilst I think you may be speaking 'truth' it will be to 'slow' to make a difference.
a_uk