A Philosophy of Mind

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Barbara Brooks

Re: Philosophy of Mind

Post by Barbara Brooks »

As Socrates believed, disciples of philosophy, the guardians and watchdogs of philosophy, will be but a small remnant. My own case is worthy of mentioning, for rarely, if ever, has such a monitor been given to a person.

There is laid out he believed a blueprint of philosophy in heaven for those who desire to behold, and beholding it sets their mind in order. But whether such a one exists on earth, or ever will exist in fact is no matter; for I will live after the manner, having nothing to do with any other.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Properties, and relationships of points, lines, angles, curves, surface and solids compels mind to turn and fix your eyes on to that place where the full perfection of being and which we ought to behold.

Not in a narrow manner of squaring and extending and applying but Geometry that aims at the eternal mind that does not perish or is transient.

Contradictions are always there is nothing that assures truth we can only see through a glass darkly. It is the same of justice and temperance or any other high idealities that lights up the chaos.

Reason the greatest good ascends and sufficiently viewstruth. There is a law of inner purpose and when unable to follow, we fail to behold truth, letting some, unfortunate circumstances sink us beneath the two-fold load of forgetfulness, and we go wrong.

Divine mind of every soul which is capable of receiving the provisions proper to it, rejoices beholding truth is replenished and made good,

Socrates believed there is a law of Destiny but when one is unable to follow, and fails to behold the truth, and through some ill-hap sinks beneath the double load of forgetfulness and error. The soul that has seen most of truth is a philosopher, or artist, or some musical and loving nature; that which has seen truth
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Socrates believed a philosopher, a diplomat and a scientist becomes one, humankind might rest from troubles. That would demand not superficial consideration but profound truth, justice, courage, and temperance not part time lovers of these pursuits but always sorting justifying philosophy curious to learn and never satisfied.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

How interesting conversations were discussed in 469 BC and I must say some of the best conversations around, are being discussed now. Socrates had real modern sense believed to have the good government where men, women and children must be equally free and must participate in all aspects of government, war, courts, an education that we are currently benefiting from today.
Don’t you find that interesting? Maybe life is a stage and we are all playing a part towards some supreme universal purpose that was predicted over 400 BC thought about things that are still going, the trails and tribulation of society, and family life are the same now.

The same evils, the most miserable people in public stations, they are master of others when they cannot master themselves; the meanest of slaves they are the most abject butter uppers when wanting something and which can never be enough. They always are jealous, hateful, faithless temper grows worse with command; he is more and more faithless, envious, unrighteous, but like history proves the most wretched are miserable. The happiest is the most master of self; and that the unhappiest person is one who is the greatest tyrant.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

When a large breach is sprung between society philosophy makes its appearance. Every philosopher belongs to its own time each has a principle that reigns for a certain time.
For example Plato brought into existence development of thought, everything is commenced in time.

Philosophers simultaneous come with the society brings on the fullest blossom of consciousness in institutions, government, principles, social life, customs and enjoyments.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Let us not opine and seek the absolute eternal immutable truth. The true philosopher must from earliest youth love truth absorbed in knowledge in every form.

Philosophy is more heavenly than any of the other studies, it is useful, beneficial, always the handy helper giving great clarity, and understanding. Truth is the pasture of the mind soars when nourished.

But truth vanishes is mere sense-certainty, is a perception or mere a conception then certainty is equal with truth. Into the native land of truth is self-consciousness, which embraces nothing less than the entire system of mind.
It is today the so-called philosopher aspires after a profession usually higher than them and of which they are unworthy of, because of their multiple contradictions of things that brings upon philosophy, and to all philosophers condemnation.

Socrates believed societies wrong doings will not cease until philosopher’s rule but today philosophy has no honor if it had honor would be astonishing.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Philosophy is my dearest friend can there be any greater blessing than this.
I appear to be caught up in some sort of blind beholding I cannot cease from and when away from philosophy I long for its friendship. . From my earliest youth I desired truth and knowledge, that us a sign that differentiates the philosopher even in youth tells if a person is just and gentle, or rude and unsociable.

Another thing is the pleasure of learning for no one will love that which gives him or her pain, or after much hard work makes little development.

Therefore, youth must have a naturally well-proportioned gracious mind, that moves instinctively toward true being. Know thyself look into self and know what is truth.

The problem is truth vanishes in the course of the incident is mere sense-certainty, and perception; it is merely a conception of things. Certainty like truth vanishes
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

My aim is to show my thoughts are not new, nor old, non of one age only but of all.

I will not rest in the multiplicity of appearance only, but I go not blunted. The love of wisdom lodges in my heart, its my dearest friend I cannot refuse anything, even with the arguments of embarrassment and reason.

Philosophy is my greatest blessing I love it but cannot explain the reason why,

It appears tp me I am caught up in some sort of instinct blind beholding me, where I cease from pain, and when I am away, I long for its friendship again. From the earliest youth I desired. even in youth I observed people were just and gentle, or rude and unsociable.

No one will love that which gives pain, or after much hard work see little progress. Know thyself know what is truth. The homeland of truth look in your self .Ancient times this virtue had a certainty and determinate significance a solid base is good.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

If knowledge were a mere presentation of opinions, it would be a very tiresome study.
Thus, a willingness to give profound thought is needed, one that exalts ideas and truth, and not superficial rhetoric. Come rise out of the sea of change and lay hold of knowledge the element of freethinking the ultimate of absolute truth of consciousness.

Thinking logically passes out of opinion goes beyond hypotheses and functions as middle to extremes. Here world-spirit comes into being, all truth. Then from senses is derived that all sensible things aim at an idea of things of which they fall short of knowledge. Then before you began to see, hear, or perceive in any way, you must have knowledge of absolute, equality, or we could not refer to.

The process of knowledge is recovering that which we previously knew. Knowledge may be rightly termed remembrance. When we perceive something either by the help of sight or hearing, or some other senses there is no difficulty in conceiving some thing like it, therefore, one of two choices follows: either we had this knowledge before birth or after birth; those who are said to have knowledge only remember, what must existed before
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Nothing comes from nothing is nothing.

We must slave for it to understand A philosophical mind is always seeks a kind of knowledge that shows truth not varying from generation and gain. Philosophers are drawn off into another direction absorbed in knowledge that is if they are true. Nothing comes out of nothing the result proceeds straight away to doubt.

Those kindred minds that have the gift of good memory, quick to learn, noble gracious and friends of truth, justice, courage, temperance always striving after knowledge will not rest in mere opinion.

Nothing comes out of nothing but by a sympathetic and kindred power, draw philosophers near where knowledge lives and grows.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Unfairness comes about when opinion is subjected to greed instead of good in order to gain because the unfair run from rules and reason.

There should be no friendship among the unfair there shall always be friendship among the good. Fair societies in light always of happy friends live on this pilgrimage of living.

Happiness depends upon self-control, the better elements of the mind will lead to order, and reason frees the virtuous elements of happiness; now is there any greater blessing than friendship and happiness burst with passion.
The true musicians does not regard their art as their own pleasure but always the happiness of the audience and are must be paid in one of three ways, money, or honor, or duty, one of these must be laid upon them to induce them to labor.

A musician, a doctor, all talented artist of any sort should not profit more than the skill; for talent falls on the side of good. Every art by which the end is accomplished has brilliance and good and in the end happiness.
Even when a person is in poverty or illness, or any other misfortunes, all things end for good as far as that person can attain a likeness of good; which is the pursuit of virtue.

Injustice arises when society is subjected to greed instead of good principle. Injustice needs to be reproached because it walks about without any shame is foolish. This happens even to good people there is fierce nature that peers out in sleep in all.

Concealment of it prevents the gentler element that is temperance, justice, and wisdom they are the most perfect harmony of body and mind into a union better far than any combination.

Dragging the feet is inherent and opposed to labor sinks to a level of mere emptiness.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Hegel’s purpose was the unconscious inner working and weaving of purpose, or willpower. Purpose is nothing else than pure consciousness of self. It is that inner reality of self; it is without knowledge meaning merely pure idealist, the sheer implicit force within self. Purpose is the abstract inner being. Here self-distinguishing self within self.

He believed what makes purpose complete is belief, because purpose itself cannot be felt; it is simply undifferentiated self-conscious ideal and that has no support, cannot stand alone or in condition because it is mere ideal.

The ability to do something and to bring into actuality is the content of purpose, where there is no chance accident. Study and understanding is essential not dragging our feet

Purpose is the ruin and overthrow of selfishness; thus a highway of anguish. Purpose rest upon conviction and intention, an actual carrying out our abilities following ones conviction not handing oneself over to mere opinion of other’s and criticize that can hamper purpose, as a matter of fact, can make us powerless of what we wanted to undertake.
thinkahol

Post by thinkahol »

the two immediately below are essentially required reading:

Are Zombies Responsible? The Role of Consciousness in Moral Responsibility:
http://209.85.173.132/search?q=cache:_b ... =firefox-a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Consciousness, Intentionality, and Causality:
http://sulcus.berkeley.edu/FreemanWWW/m ... F8/99.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Belief is comforting, but belief without reason is blind.
http://www.socyberty.com/Religion/Kierk ... ool.677271" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There really isn't anything wrong with having opinions about things that we can't or don't have evidence for, but it is absolutely of fundamental importance to recognize the tentative nature of such speculation.

Although I am partial to Hegel's thoughts on Humans as potentially being the universe being aware of itself, Hegel's certitude is in a certain way unethical.
http://www.infidels.org/library/histori ... elief.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.peirce.org/writings/p107.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://laboredthought.livejournal.com/78931.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

High opinion has this one-sided view always seeing in the result pure nothingness and cannot advance from there.

That is the ego; it has a likeness to light a reflection-into-one. The Hindus thought that the ego is like light and if it is maintained in pure transparency would be a pure reflection to self but the ego is not sunlight, ego is merely empty a uncertainty.

Socrates believed the many opinion people entertain about troth are tossed about in some state that is halfway between truth and not truth.
What is truth but objective reality, the assurance of being but it is bare and simple truth.

Imperturbable passing hither and thither is pure simple inner self, in other words, inner essence. This sphere is of reflection the ego pure self-reflection that pervades the whole godly relation between inner and outer self.

Hegel calls “thing hood” a bondage a chain from which self cannot get away from transparent universal ideal whole inner and outer self
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

The ego comes forward asserts not just certainty of self but true purpose. The ego therefore is the bare simple pure inner self, or in other words, real and true inner being; the pure inner true being comes forward over against the world.

In one way, the ego is restless passes hither and thither, seeing, grasping, in the other way, the ego is the unflappable truth. Here enter into the sphere of reflection into self here independent in face of outside determinates. That is the ego pure self-reflection into self

The ego is a process of assimilation from becoming to being just as plants are drawn out of itself by light; they climb out towards light, ramifying into many individuals. Plants draw from light, energy, vigor, and the quality of scent, the splendor and depth of color and shape.

Only when ego enters into relationship with world is there self-feeling the same as the plant. Reflection into self-set forth stands in relation with the outer world and remains home with self.