A Philosophy of Mind

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

You are right I did not know at the time what I was doing I just needed to know what Hegel meant. I first wrote on yellow legal pads then I got a typewriter then a word-process machine and finally a computer. I had this drive to find the key into philosophy just for my own sake. Writing is a lot like painting they are impressions only, an outline], keep a solemn silence. Words require discussions of high thought and hence come the loftiness of language Slaving for it can only get this. I started with no clear pattern my eyes opened little by little drawn off into another direction in life absorbed in philosophy.

The noble and gracious friend of knowledge is the philosopher is my nature always strives after truth.

Skillful rhetoricians have the art of enchanting the mind must know the differences of human mind -- they are so many and of such a nature. Then one must have a good idea of theoretical understanding of words and be able to follow theoretical understanding in speaking, teaching, or writing.

Look at courts of law, the question of justice and good the literally lawyers cares nothing about, but only about probability, they keep probability in view and say good-bye to the truth.

I write what is acceptable to God and always to act acceptably to God; there is an old saying that a person of sense should not try to please people but good and noble God. If the way is long and circuitous, wonder not at this, for, where the end is great may take a longer path.
Lusia Mousky

Post by Lusia Mousky »

I understand what you mean Barbara and I use the same technique for learning languages or improving them. I just read a book in a foreign language and am not frustrated by what I do not understand but instead am delighted by what I do understand. As I go on the foreign logos becomes more and more familiar. You can guess so much from the context, most of it un- or sub-consciously.

Hegel and Heidegger are a little bit close to poetry so it is a good idea to take a curageous plunge into them.

You cannot read them from the point of view of a logician.
Carnap, a logician known to be very calm and despassionate, got infuriated by Heideggers statement: Das Nichts nichtet. (the nothing nothings)
He had no sense of poetry.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Ooo! I was just giving the experience of an English speaker reading translations of Continental Philosophy. But as a British Empiricist, Carnap had a point for once.
a_uk
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Lusia

The ego is reflection of self has a likeness to sunlight. The Hindus believed if ego could maintain self would pass into transparency but the ego is not sunlight it is merely an attitude, a reflection,an empty uncertainty of self.

Knowledge has the power to draw the mind from becoming to being. It is something which all arts and sciences and intelligences use in common, It appears to me to be a study of the kind which we are seeking here, reflection Through reflection comes truth and compassion. First shadows, then the images and last truth,

Truth is in the soul of every one learns and this is Good.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Thanks Barbara,
As Merleau-ponty's Phenomenology of Perception has been nagging at me for years and I've still not managed to get 'true' understanding of it. So I'll be taking up your reminder of copying as way of understanding him(obvious once I'd remembered how we learn as children). I'll get back to you in a year or so :)
a_uk
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Arising_uk,

Knowledge is termed recollection.
Philosophy is a gift of spiritual life for the virtuous consciousness for a certain time.. History has shown there is a succession of noble minds; a gallery of thinkers. Sane of the first philosopher Thales, who determined the eclipse of the sun, and moon is due to the intervention of the moon or earth.

Thales studied in latter life philosophy and in a period of transition amongst the Greeks.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

I am a philosopher immersed in the pleasures of it, striving after the noblest pursuit of knowledge, not blunted by doubt, nor will I be abated on this keen edge until I attain truth divine, beauty, wisdom, goodness, and the like, for they nourish my mind.

Truth and knowledge at times goes into conflict in mind, as Because truth and knowledge are distinct from each other is reason. This is the struggle of any division. The struggle is a chain that keeps us in bondage but we succeed in attaining truth and knowledge. The process is twofold; the slave and master are solely a unity subjective and objective, or sacrifice and labor.

Laboring anything into something has not only positive significance but also objectivity. The process is twofold, reason and labor. We must enter into labor to succeed and find satisfaction. First, principle and second labor that is the chain that keeps us in bondage, we cannot get away from. Only through labor we succeed in attaining purpose and finding satisfaction.

Realize first everything belongs to its own time, and each principle has reign for that time.

What will be the consequences is what counts. Little things elaborated how ridiculous! Nothing short of the most finished picture should satisfy. All things become useful and advantageous through goodness

Descartes' believed that being and thought are inherently the same, pure essence. Thinking quivers within self this is mandatory above all to establish truth.

The world of knowledge only makes its appearance at a time when the mind of the people have worked its way out of apathy and insensitiveness to consciousness and stands in contrast to indifference.

Reason is the mediating term, acts ethically, and carries out purpose. The light of unity and truth is reason split up into distinct elemental forms, human rule and divine rule in the form of certainty, where
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Through reflection comes truth and with it compassion. Truth demonstrates the course of reason. What is truth but objective reality, in other words, assurance of being? When being comes to the forefront declares not just sense certainty of self but purpose.
The problem with truth it vanishes in the course of the incident. Truth is merely a conception. Therefore is nothing that assures us what we see is true, excepting knowledge.

Purpose which drives on to raise into actual truth is intended to be a search, which in its very process of seeking declares that it is utterly impossible to have the satisfaction of finding all reality. The whole heavens and all creation would collapse and stand still, and never again have motion or birth without pure knowing and because pure knowing is absolute truth of reason that all things which fall under the mind From the mind is derived reason that all sensible creatures aim at. Then to see, hear, or perceive in anyway we must have knowledge.

Knowing is the ultimate absolute truth for what is everything, which gives certainty by means of purpose of things. Whereas knowledge must be dependent on principles derived from wisdom, that it was requisite above all to try to establish certainty in it.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Reason is linked together with divine laws rises out of the state of cruelty into a conscious universal spirit for all is the ethical
fair society where self-conscious is realized.

The inner law is the ethical order as the inner indwelling principle social order operates in an unconscious manner, as a base that forms and preserves community together.

In the ethical world is reason. Knowing in one’s own heart as the law of all hearts, knowing, consciousness of self realized and universal: Enjoying the fruits of self sacrifice into the light of the absolute unbroken sense of security and fulfillment within the social mind actual now. Self that becomes not a mere self-being but real and substantial takes effect no doubt.

The ethical family concrete certainty is routine and predictable where conflict in the life of individuals in the community, and have been reconciled. Just as sense perception assumes a twofold form has many properties, so ethical family involves absolute as absolute and people.

Here appears, another spirit that is something other than the power of family called divine law. This aspect consists of a divine established guardian of the city, of the hearth and the home.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

The requisite of philosophy is love of knowledge and truth it is the most important thing in the whole world. Therefore, we must not try and grapple with opinion.

if knowledge were mere opinion then philosophy would be a very wearisome study. The power of knowledge manifests to anyone who desires reason and accustomed to the nourishment of truth.

Reason acts must be self and universal spirit; and must not be taken as if it were merely an act of service. Reason produces no action; it is a spirit, immediate truth, or conscious life. Knowing is wisdom, insight and understanding all deriving from the senses. Once thought it is known, nothing ever turns into something.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Lay hold of arithmetic and calculation numbers, not as amateurs but seen with mind only. Certainly you see but in a confused manner; not distinguished, whereas knowledge of numbers tend to light up chaos. There are two ruling principles of knowledge , the intellectual world and the visible world.

What is one and many arises when there is some contradiction and one is the reverse of one and involves a conception of numbers. Here mind begins to be aroused and perplexed wants to arrive at what is absolute.

Further reflection knowledge is science knowing the ultimate absolute truth in the world of appearance something thoroughly familiar. Consider the matter under investigation, to give certainty means to exercise reason.

knowledge passes out of opinion, goes above hypotheses even when painters study with the greatest skill, represent the most strange and extraordinary, cannot be entirely new, but if their imagination is extravagant enough to invent something so novel that nothing similar has ever before been seen, and represents a thing purely absolutely false.

Like painted representations things that are represented are only counterparts of something real and true. Those things represented in sleep are like painted pictures. They do not invite recollection because the sense is an adequate judge of them. While knowledge is imperatively demanded that deals with the measurement, properties and relationships of points, lines, angles, surfaces and solids of things.

Reason comes into being here is all truth and all that is present of truth. From senses then is derived knowledge, then before you began to see or hear or perceive in any way, you must have knowledge of absolute, equality, or you could not have referred to what is equal or absolute one.
bus2bondi

Post by bus2bondi »

hi barbara, in your recent post you mentioned revolution and Plato, and wonder what you think about something that Plato had said about revolution: "revolution always starts from the outbreak of internal dissention in the ruling class. The constitution cannot be upset so long as that class is of one mind, however small it may be."(Plato, in Modern Politics & Government by Alan Ball)

i sort of see how this could be, but don't necessarily agree with him entirely in that, revolution could not only rely upon internal dissention of the ruling class. and relating this to the mind, i wonder what is so different from that which runs throught the minds of the ruling class & the "peasants."

& furthermore relating to some of your thoughts on traditional political philosophy, universal values, & natural rights, Ball writes that "the modern student of politics is still faced with the works of great philosophers such as Plato or Hagel that require textual analysis and new interpretations, but the search for universal values concerning political activity tends to be avoided. At present 'ought' questions are not fashionable, although not all critics of traditional political philosophy would travel as far as T.D. Weldon in his reduction to trivia and linguistic misunderstandings such ancient political concepts as freedom, justice, obedience, liberty and natural rights."

so essentially was Plato saying that universal values are only created by or allowed to be acknowledged, and/or enforced upon the approval of the ruling class?
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

bus2bondi,

Where did I mention this?
bus2bondi

Post by bus2bondi »

in your last post you mentioned revolution, & further down you mentioned plato, and also here & there natural philosophy, & rights etc., & i have a book on my shelf that i knew related to some of this, and all in all within most of your posts, i think anyways it all relates, & could tie into what i wrote, although, i'm feeling quite, tingly, warm & fuzzy because of the wine, lol, :lol: i think i was making a tad bit of sense, and thought was kind of interesting questions? thx
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

bus2bondi

A just government does above all protect the poor against the tyranny of the wealthy.

Poor people need to be watched over, and rich people need controlling. It is on the middle classes who powerless against the treasures of the rich and the destitution of the poor. The rich poke fun at middle class, the poor escape from them.

One of the most important functions of government is to prevent extreme wealth and secure citizens from becoming poor.

The unequal distribution of wealth today at the expense of commerce in short, has been pushed to such an extreme opulence and of poverty form mutual hatred among citizens, or indifference to the common cause, corruption, all weaken the springs of government.