A Philosophy of Mind

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Barbara Brooks

Re: Philosophy of Mind

Post by Barbara Brooks »

I am reporting you to PREVENTION OF CRUELTY
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

You live in Cleveland I will call Prevention of Animal Cruelty and report to the officials of this organization your cruel displays here and I am not playing. The Newspaper would love it especial if you are someone big in the community.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

The social network for trade unionists - a Labour Start project. would love to know the other side of
Bill.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Your not a lover of philosophy your a pain in the ass. The true lover of knowledge is always striving after being --that is his nature; he will not rest in the multiplicity of individuals which is an appearance only, but will go on --the keen edge will not be blunted, nor the force of his desire abate until he have attained the knowledge of the true nature of every essence by a sympathetic and kindred power in the soul, and by that power drawing near and mingling and becoming incorporate with very being, having begotten mind and truth, he will have knowledge and will live and grow truly, and then, and not till then, will he cease from his travail.

I notice you are able to verbalize your thoughts well in other forums but here we get pictures and that is because you are far from the philosophical challenge, nor do you want to be. You just want to be a smart ass. When truth is the captain, we cannot suspect any evil of the band which he leads? Justice and health of mind will be of the company, and temperance will follow after.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

I believe in myself God is good. I believe that the inner being has a specific spirit a consciousness, self-consciousness, reasoning, and knowing, assuming, appropriating and adopting a distinctive being.

Belief pervades and permeates all aspects of being, one with self: moments into one content gives certainty of self by means of exercising reason.

Pure self spirit quivers within I believe in myself. “spirit in its totality” as a moving process.

BB
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Bill Wiltrack

Journeyman with Local #33 I am ready to procede.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Any person should feel the hurt and sympathize all together with those affected, and we say that animal has a pain and the same expression is used about any other body, which has a sensation of pain at suffering and of pleasure at the alleviation of suffering.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

I believe in the society the language of harmony and concord, when any one is well or ill, the universal word will be with me, it is well' or 'it is ill.'

This mode of thinking and speaking, will have the pleasures and pains in common?

And as Socrates believed, they will have a common interest in the same thing which they will alike call 'my own,' and having this common interest they will have a common feeling of pleasure and pain.

Feeling is the greatest good of a well-ordered society to the relation of the body and the members, when affected by pleasure or pain.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Neither will assault or insult ever is likely to occur when equals should defend themselves against equals we shall maintain to be honorable and right; we shall make the protection of all a matter of necessity.

And there is a further good if a person has a quarrel with another he or she will satisfy his or her resentment then and there, and not precede to lengths that are more dangerous.

For shame and fear in every way will help the citizens to keep the peace with one another?

Bill’s pictures of meanness of which should be rid of, for they are beneath humanity: the many evils of so many kinds animals suffer in this way are mean enough and obvious enough, and not worth speaking of.

“The Olympic victor,” Socrates said, “is deemed happy in receiving a part only of the blessedness which is secured to our citizens, who have won a more glorious victory and have a more complete maintenance at the public cost. For the victory which they have won is the salvation of the whole society.”

Whether such a community be found possible --as among other animals, so also among people --and if possible, in what way possible?
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Investigations Department
Law Enforcement

The Inspector and Agents of the London Humane Society enforce the OSPCA Act and the sections of the Criminal Code of Canada which deal with animal cruelty and abuse. Investigations department staff educate, inform, and, in some cases, prosecute people who neglect, abuse, abandon or are cruel to animals. Investigations include dogs left in hot cars, beaten and neglected or abandoned dogs and cats, puppy mills, and organized crimes against animals such as dog and cock fighting. We also assist the police with animals at crime scenes.

To report suspected cruelty to animals please contact our Investigations Department at 519-451-0500 or 519-451-0630 extension 225 or via email at investigations@londonhumane.ca
Animal Care and the Law

For an overview of laws relating to animal care click here.
Crime Stoppers

The London Humane Society has formed a partnership with the London and District Crime Stoppers Program.

ABUSE OF ANIMAL IS A CRIMINAL OFFENCE AND WE NEED YOUR HELP.

Remain anonymous. Call 1-800-222-TIPS.

Ontario SPCA

The Ontario Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals has been protecting abused, stray and neglected animals since 1873. The Ontario SPCA Act was enacted in 1919, and it was the first legislation in the province that protected animals. The Ontario SPCA is the umbrella organization for all recognized humane societies in Ontario. The OSPCA has many branches and affiliates forming a large group and a strong voice for animal welfare in the province. The London Humane Society is an affiliate of the OSPCA. For more information on the Ontario SPCA please visit their web site at www.ospca.on.ca

I sent: I would like to report a "virtual crime" To explain, i write on the Philosophy Now forum, my main area of writing is Philosophy of Mind many get upset with my whatever each seems to have their own opinion. There is one man named Bill Wiltrack who lives in Ohio, USA who when he wants to interrupt my writing displays an moving animated picture of a horse being repeatedly beaten with a whip as the horse has screeching look on it's face.

The lastest display I could not tolerate anymore It is another moving animation of a man taking his fist and punching the animal in its stomach contineously. The image is to me horrific and it coming from a distinguished Philopsophy Now Magazine forum and no one setting an example of ethics.

If you could just check out : It is PhilosophyNow forum. The subject is Philosophy of Mind You will find the animation on pages 168 and 156, there are more but this is an example.

Thank you I would love to put a stop to this obscene sight . It is obvious the owners Rick Lewis and Bryn R. Williams who run the of the forum will not intercede. I say for the sake of humanity these animated pictures should be taken down.

Thank you,

Barbara Brooks
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Do you think it right Bill Wiltrack should tyrannize me, if not imagine a whole forum may one-day fall under the yoke of this tyrant?

Then no one should be tyrannized; that is a rule which philosophers will observe and advise the others to observe and will keep their hands off one another. Let us stop his love of plunder.

A horse cannot get at his assailant, can not quarrel or use whip, or punched fist, which strikes a horse.

Bill is expressing what is internal in him strife from family puts him in a state of disorder and discord, and such enmity is to be called discord.

Bill creates discord occurring in the forum he divides both parties to destroy one another how wicked does the strife appear!

He would tear into pieces his own mother: that is why here might be reason in the conqueror depriving the conquered of their harvest, and reinstate the idea of peace in his heart and would not mean to go on fighting for ever.
SpheresOfBalance

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

Barbara,

I'm sure that you understand that he is making commentary as to the substance of your persistence. Not that I really think an explanation it's necessarily required, but his secondary image is meant to parallel his original image of a man 'beating a dead horse.' I'm sure you're familiar with this metaphor.

Maybe this shall serve your purpose as well, as It would seem that Bill has recently been your only audience. Between us, we shall give you the interaction that I'm sure you require, on some level. If not then I'm reminded of a song by King Crimson titled "I Talk to the Wind"

Here are the lyrics:

Said the straight man
to the late man
Where have you been
I've been here and
I've been there
And I've been in between.

I talk to the wind
My words are all carried away
I talk to the wind
The wind does not hear
The wind cannot hear.

I'm on the outside
looking inside
What do I see
Much confusion
disillusion
All around me.

I talk to the wind
I talk to the wind
The wind does not hear
The wind cannot hear.

You don't possess me
Don't impress me
Just upset my mind
Can't instruct me or conduct me
Just use up my time

I talk to the wind
I talk to the wind
The wind does not hear
The wind cannot hear.

(Short Instrument Solo)

I talk to the wind
I talk to the wind
The wind does not hear
The wind cannot hear.

Said the straight man
to the late man
Where have you been
I've been here and
I've been there
And I've been in between.

(Instrument solo to end)

Peter Sinfield: Lyrics, Illumination
© 1969 EG Records Ltd.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

I dislike poetry; there has always been conflict between them. Let us face it Bill’ s animated pictures are the making of a cowardly and mean nature and should have no part in true philosophy.
Philosophy is harmoniously constituted, not mean, or boisterous, or unjust.

Observe whether a person is just and gentle, or rude and unsociable; these are the signs which distinguish even in youth the philosophical nature from the un-philosophical.

Another point which I should be remark. Bill has no pleasure in learning; for no one will love that which gives pain, and in which after much toil progresses little, a seeming endless vessel he hates this to him it is a fruitless occupation.

He cannot be ranked among genuine philosophic natures; philosophy insists that the philosopher should have a naturally well-proportioned and gracious mind, which moves spontaneously towards the true being of everything. These are necessary, philosophical qualities, which have been enumerating eternity, go together, and are necessary to have a full and perfect participation.

Not Bill, here is a meeting place, and the forum sits down like at a theatre, or a camp, or in any other popular resort, and there is a great uproar, and they praise some things which are being said or done, and blame other things, equally exaggerating both, shouting and clapping their hands, and the echo of the rocks and the place in which they are assembled redoubles the sound of the praise or blame – carried away by the overwhelming flood of popular opinion

Bill leaped into my thoughts with profanity that sickens me, his notions of good and evil will do as they do, and as they are, such will he be.
SpheresOfBalance

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

I hear you Barb. But he should be allowed to make his opposing belief known, just as you have. Actually I find his photos to be kinder than words. I'm sure he could muster up some words that would be far worse.

Can you talk to bill? Maybe! Address his issues if you find them to be incorrect. It would seem that you have a lot of study under your belt. Take him on in an "informed argument." Ask him what his problem is and address it. If he fails to respond then ignore him.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

All he has to do is take that profanity off Philosophy of mind and not bother me. I don't bother him, I could haunt him throughout the forum as he does me. Just get that crap off and he will not hear from me again.