A Philosophy of Mind

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Barbara Brooks

Re: Philosophy of Mind

Post by Barbara Brooks »

I forced myself up this morning to study. I studied for an hour or so nothing major but I at least studied. Oh what innumerable causes that cripple us and distract our reason. Just life itself. Purpose at times goes to war as though reason and self had two distinct objectives. The inner essence is ideal principle that pervades the whole inner and outer of the crystal nucleus molecule integrants attach themselves to the surface of the nucleus in a kind of successive array. That immaterial inner continuity becomes material through and through.
This is called law of crystallization, a silent activity sets, shapes and links together all the different parts of Inner self, as essential inner that comes forward with imperturbable truth.

Ground and universe, everything is in this totality of motion. The alteration of the seasons and of the day and night and the transition from waking and sleeping is life on the Earth. Even the reflection of the sun from a wall twenty yards away produce a distinct erection of the leaves or a passing cloud results their drooping. The stipules movement consists in an alternate erection and drooping. Here is sun on the point of dispersing into infinity, trying to escape pushing out from center cannot take flight and remains restless imprisoned within.

The factor of plant nature is it is in a specific place, which it cannot get walk away although plants unfolds itself within itself the movement is determined by light heat and air. Look at the potato plant sprouting in the basement creeping from distances of yards across the floor to where sunlight enters through a hole in the wall and the potato climbs up the wall as if it knew its way.

A freer, self-moving path is the mind traversing a series of our own form in nature. Not barren but self assurance a true phenomenon;
The natural talent for science those who have it are generally quick at every kind of knowledge. And even those not so quick and have arithmetical training become much quicker than they would otherwise have been.

Thank God knowledge comes on the scene as the instrument of reason and liberate purpose's pathway. Whatever is done and whatever happens there is reason, because nothing ever turns into anything. Reason even now as disregarded by self, maimed of its fair proportions still reason forces its way by natural vitality emerges into sunlight.

The idea of good is nothing short of the most finished picture. Little things elaborated how ridiculous! The highest truth worthy of attaining is good. Only by good, all things become useful and advantageous. The idea of good is the highest virtue. Everyone pursues reason and make it the end of all action shines with radiant knowledge.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

SpheresOfBalance wrote:Well my family name is from Britain. I was born in the USA, I've lived in Australia, Kenya, Japan, Oman, Singapore, Korea, Philippines, & Diego Garcia BIOT.
So American military brat then? Or much travelled US solider? But American none the less whatever the surname says.
I have no country
You say that at customs?
I belong to no nation
Where you living know?
Do you have special mushrooms you're eating, I want some. I am married, and have been for over 20 years. Look I know you don't know me at all, likewise. And I guess It's hard to remember what's been said in this forum, but I have never said I was divorced. I've been previously married, yes, but I don't think I've ever mentioned it. My wife and I are currently separated, but it has nothing to do with marital conflict and everything to do with having a job to pay for our home. We both can't wait until we can get together again but money is more important right now, of course we're hating it. Sometimes I think I'd rather go live in a cave as long as we can be together. I've always been extremely dedicated to the women I've been with, and have never lacked fidelity.

I was just joking.
My apologies, I've re-read and see that the separation was an economic issue. Understand those things so I wish you a speedy reunion.

Got any spare shrooms as its been decades since anyones mentioned those.
Last edited by Arising_uk on Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Reason is like a seed scarcely seen through a microscope but is pregnant with all the qualities of a tree. The seed is contained the whole tree; trunk, branches, leaves, its color, odor, taste, etc. the simple abstract universal

Knowledge is the instrument that possesses enlightenment. In the very fact knowledge comes on the scene liberates the pathway of consciousness pressing forward to truth and self-consciousness, follow conviction and produce what truth is.

Leibniz, Spinoza, and Descartes all philosophers versed in mathematics as well as philosophy. Descartes and Leibniz contributed greatly to science. Descartes the Cartesian system, inventor the French philosopher and writer-founded analytic geometry, the bridge between algebra and geometry, uses deductive reasoning crucial to the discovery of infinitesimal calculus and analysis.

Leibniz was one of the most prolific inventors in the field of mechanical calculators. In history Leibniz occupies a prominent place and the history of mathematics and philosophy. He developed the infinitesimal calculus and mathematical notion still used today.

Spinoza indisputably wrote the greatest work on ethics asserted knowledge is oneness of thought. While Descartes, believed knowledge is a science. Leibniz devoted his attention to knowledge as the higher sense of self-sufficient individuality.

Come let us not slave in the acquisition of knowledge, for any kind of knowledge acquired under force attains no hold in mind. That which is rigid shut up within self is powerless. Knowledge is best when sounds, sights, feelings of pain or pleasure must quit mind. The senses only hinder the acquisition of knowledge. Emmanuel Kant supposed that all knowledge is reduced to opinion, and every consciousness has intelligence. He compared knowledge to earth; if you wanted to describe it and it’s meaning must first look and drive out its existence and lay its parts out one by one.
lancek4

Post by lancek4 »

Barbara Brooks wrote:I forced myself up this morning to study. I studied for an hour or so nothing major but I at least studied. Oh what innumerable causes that cripple us and distract our reason. Just life itself. Purpose at times goes to war as though reason and self had two distinct objectives. The inner essence is ideal principle that pervades the whole inner and outer of the crystal nucleus molecule integrants attach themselves to the surface of the nucleus in a kind of successive array. That immaterial inner continuity becomes material through and through.
This is called law of crystallization, a silent activity sets, shapes and links together all the different parts of Inner self, as essential inner that comes forward with imperturbable truth.

Ground and universe, everything is in this totality of motion. The alteration of the seasons and of the day and night and the transition from waking and sleeping is life on the Earth. Even the reflection of the sun from a wall twenty yards away produce a distinct erection of the leaves or a passing cloud results their drooping. The stipules movement consists in an alternate erection and drooping. Here is sun on the point of dispersing into infinity, trying to escape pushing out from center cannot take flight and remains restless imprisoned within.

The factor of plant nature is it is in a specific place, which it cannot get walk away although plants unfolds itself within itself the movement is determined by light heat and air. Look at the potato plant sprouting in the basement creeping from distances of yards across the floor to where sunlight enters through a hole in the wall and the potato climbs up the wall as if it knew its way.

A freer, self-moving path is the mind traversing a series of our own form in nature. Not barren but self assurance a true phenomenon;
The natural talent for science those who have it are generally quick at every kind of knowledge. And even those not so quick and have arithmetical training become much quicker than they would otherwise have been.

Thank God knowledge comes on the scene as the instrument of reason and liberate purpose's pathway. Whatever is done and whatever happens there is reason, because nothing ever turns into anything. Reason even now as disregarded by self, maimed of its fair proportions still reason forces its way by natural vitality emerges into sunlight.

The idea of good is nothing short of the most finished picture. Little things elaborated how ridiculous! The highest truth worthy of attaining is good. Only by good, all things become useful and advantageous. The idea of good is the highest virtue. Everyone pursues reason and make it the end of all action shines with radiant knowledge.
Hogwarts.

I don't know what you study in acedamia, but I'm sure you would make an excellent philosophy master.
So filled with making a living and fullfilling their career obligations as they are.
I'm sure the inconsistency involve will never cross your mind.
I'm sure you'll love it.
And do well in it.
lancek4

Post by lancek4 »

Barbara Brooks wrote:Reason is like a seed scarcely seen through a microscope but is pregnant with all the qualities of a tree. The seed is contained the whole tree; trunk, branches, leaves, its color, odor, taste, etc. the simple abstract universal

Knowledge is the instrument that possesses enlightenment. In the very fact knowledge comes on the scene liberates the pathway of consciousness pressing forward to truth and self-consciousness, follow conviction and produce what truth is.

Leibniz, Spinoza, and Descartes all philosophers versed in mathematics as well as philosophy. Descartes and Leibniz contributed greatly to science. Descartes the Cartesian system, inventor the French philosopher and writer-founded analytic geometry, the bridge between algebra and geometry, uses deductive reasoning crucial to the discovery of infinitesimal calculus and analysis.

Leibniz was one of the most prolific inventors in the field of mechanical calculators. In history Leibniz occupies a prominent place and the history of mathematics and philosophy. He developed the infinitesimal calculus and mathematical notion still used today.

Spinoza indisputably wrote the greatest work on ethics asserted knowledge is oneness of thought. While Descartes, believed knowledge is a science. Leibniz devoted his attention to knowledge as the higher sense of self-sufficient individuality.

Come let us not slave in the acquisition of knowledge, for any kind of knowledge acquired under force attains no hold in mind. That which is rigid shut up within self is powerless. Knowledge is best when sounds, sights, feelings of pain or pleasure must quit mind. The senses only hinder the acquisition of knowledge. Emmanuel Kant supposed that all knowledge is reduced to opinion, and every consciousness has intelligence. He compared knowledge to earth; if you wanted to describe it and it’s meaning must first look and drive out its existence and lay its parts out one by one.
Yes, it is wonderful. But your prose here, the tone I think is what gets me - I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

Oh so passoinate. Goth emo recluse coffehouse poet. So great
I'm sure you'll be glad you've done your duty; I can't take it any more.

Carry on.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Then hit the road, and get lost.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

In general, what is the nature of this community of women and children will have a great and paramount influence on the society for good or for evil.

Lance4, assailing me raises a hornet's nest of words that sting. This gathering trouble, I avoid for he is not skeptical or hostile.

Now is truly the turn of me to speak my mind I must not fear the jests of the wits which will be directed against my sort of innovation; is there an opposition in nature between bald men and hairy men; and if this is admitted to be true then, if bald men are cobblers, they should forbid the hairy men to be cobblers, or visa versa?

The opposition in nature extends to those differences that affect the pursuit of philosophy or any endeavor, for example that of a physician and one who is in mind a physician may be said to have the same nature.

The of women bearing and men begetting children, this does not amount to a proof that a woman differs from a man in respect of the sort of education she should receive; and we shall therefore continue to maintain that philosophy has the same pursuit.

Gifted or not gifted in any respect a little learning will lead the person to discover a great deal; study and application that distinguishes the gifted by nature from who is ungifted.

The same as the men has all these gifts and qualities in a higher degree have no more than the female the most absurd.

One woman is a philosopher, and another is an enemy of philosophy; one has mind spirit, another is without it.

I beg of these gentlemen for once in their life to be serious don’t ridicule the innovation of me let all things be uncovered is far better than to cover up, and the ludicrous effect before the better principle, vanishes.

Lance4 is by me perceived to be a fool who directs the arrow of his ridicule at any other sight with folly and vice, never seriously weighing the beautiful by any other standard of good.

Whether his question of me is to be put in jest or in earnest, let us come to an understanding about the nature of me: I am capable of sharing either wholly or partially in the actions of men, or not at all.

And is the art of war is one of those arts in which I can or cannot share? I think that many a man falls into the practice against their will. When Lance4 thinks that he is reasoning he is really disputing, just because he cannot define and divide, and so know that of which he is speaking; and he will pursue a merely verbal opposition in the spirit of contention and not of fair discussion.

Why, because he valiantly and pugnaciously insist upon the verbal truth? But there is a danger of getting unintentionally into mere verbal opposition.
bus2bondi

Post by bus2bondi »

merry christmas barbara, lance, sob, and auk. it appears that you are all on crack to me :lol: and i want to stay far away from your drug ring, however, you are drawing me in again :lol: :wink: so much that i just wanted to wish you all a belated merry christmas/solstice/ or whatever. you know us philosophers tho, what is christmas?? where did it come from??? why is it? why do dogs pee with their leg up high in the air and most other animals don't? why is that anyway? :lol: merry whatever then :lol: hmmmmm.... why am i saying the word merry? :lol:
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

bus2bondi, don't come making accusation if you don't mean it, what you are saying is cruel.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Who are you raising yourself up so high above us summing up what we say is from crack. What nerve girl bump you I thought you were a friend.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

:lol: apparently the two of you actually couldn't tell that i was being extraordinarily sarcastic. i thought it was the most obvious thing on earth... the blatant sarcasm and overexaggeration in reference to all the things we've brought up recently in the thread. it was pure sarcasm. i also took it for granted that most people here are aware that i am not a magazine owner or army man lol. :lol: :lol: i am a poor little woman and no, nut successful at all.

sarcasm was not the route to go to further illustrate my point, it wasn't. i was wrong to do that. and i apologize. i actually love the country i live in, but i was trying to make a point about your actions toward barbara..... i thought that was obvious. again, i apologize. it never occurred to me that someone might actually take any of that literally. i'm flabbergasted by that. i'll explain it a little more later, i don't have time to write at the moment.
You caused all this trouble and we don't deserve what flabbergasted you? The only thing you have to say is we are on crack. You my dear lady are a tyrant that is the reason we may not jive
bus2bondi

Post by bus2bondi »

sorry barbara, i was using sarcasm again, but meant it in a very different way. i wrote it in that form i guess because sob took what i was saying and doing the other night on your behalf literally and reported me to the authorities as a terrorist cell. i'm not sure if you caught that post of his. i ignored it, knowing his accusations weren't true. and apologized for the use of sarcasm, of which could be debated in itself. but apparently i am learning my lesson again, and should steer very clear from it. then later on, i find the very same person acting like a drug addict, with another, yamming on about how their on mushrooms, etc... kind of acting similarly in their own way i guess. i shouldn't of said anything, but my post was truly in good and sincere spirit, but maybe some sort of hidden feeling of wanting to defend myself in a nice way, after not doing so... i apologize. i hope you'll accept my apology. i know you are all not on crack, and are not druglords. i consider you a friend, and i truly am sorry for that mistake. i knew better to let it go, as it is not the truth, however, that aside, i truly meant what i said. i hope your having a nice holiday, if you indeed do celebrate it. if not, hope your having a nice day anyway. sorry about that.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

bus2bondi,

I don't know what to say, I do think it is pretty funny somthing out of a Woody Allen movie, each time I read I laughed out loud. God help us. This gradual crumbling to pieces, Socrates believed, brings to view the new world.The beginning of the new spirit is the outcome of a widespread revolution in manifold forms of spiritual culture; it is the reward which comes after a varied and devious course of development, and after much struggle and effort. returns again to whole. But this abstract whole is only found in the past shapes and forms, which are now reduced to mere idea are developing anew again, but developed and shaped within this new order of things.

And SOB thank you for your concern and bravery.
SpheresOfBalance

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

Arising_uk wrote:
SpheresOfBalance wrote:Well my family name is from Britain. I was born in the USA, I've lived in Australia, Kenya, Japan, Oman, Singapore, Korea, Philippines, & Diego Garcia BIOT.
So American military brat then? Or much travelled US solider? But American none the less whatever the surname says.
Not really a brat, overbearing fathers do not allow.
I have no country
You say that at customs?
When I go through customs I try not to say anything, and try not to look nervous.
I belong to no nation
Where you living know?
You know I'm really sorry for those of you that believe a colorful rag defines you.
Do you have special mushrooms you're eating, I want some. I am married, and have been for over 20 years. Look I know you don't know me at all, likewise. And I guess It's hard to remember what's been said in this forum, but I have never said I was divorced. I've been previously married, yes, but I don't think I've ever mentioned it. My wife and I are currently separated, but it has nothing to do with marital conflict and everything to do with having a job to pay for our home. We both can't wait until we can get together again but money is more important right now, of course we're hating it. Sometimes I think I'd rather go live in a cave as long as we can be together. I've always been extremely dedicated to the women I've been with, and have never lacked fidelity.

I was just joking.
My apologies, I've re-read and see that the separation was an economic issue. Understand those things so I wish you a speedy reunion.
Why thank you, I love those moments when you're a sweetheart, I makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Got any spare shrooms as its been decades since anyones mentioned those.
No, one of the benefits (problems?) of getting older is that you are forced to eat fiber and all those other things that are actually good for you, uckkkk!

But if I ever become terminal, you can bet your bottom dollar (euro/pound) that I'll find some somewhere, then lay down, viewing a clear night sky, peer into the pin pricked darkness, and contemplate infinity. ;-)
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

SpheresOfBalance wrote:You know I'm really sorry for those of you that believe a colorful rag defines you.
And yet you saluted one?
... But if I ever become terminal, you can bet your bottom dollar (euro/pound) that I'll find some somewhere, then lay down, viewing a clear night sky, peer into the pin pricked darkness, and contemplate infinity. ;-)[/color]
Huxley got there before you. I think morphine will be the more probable outcome.